To a Brave Man

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by oi!oi!oi!, Sep 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sometimes its not really that important, medals, holidays, JPA, Dubai, Bahrain or the NAG. On the signal for promotion or otherwise and every other issue we come across. Today spare a thought for WO O'Donnell,his wife, young familly and extended family

A UK bomb disposal expert killed in an explosion in Afghanistan was a father of four - including a newborn son - who had been decorated for his bravery.

Warrant Officer Class 2 Gary O'Donnell, of the Royal Logistic Corps - who died in Helmand on Wednesday - had earned a George Medal for bravery in Iraq.

Don't really think I need to say anymore, god bless him, his bravery, his family and especially his newborn son. It will be small comfort at this time to his family but maybe if they know that they are all in our thoughts then whoknows it may just give them a little comfort.

2. I am ashamed cos i'm havin some issues but you have put it into perspective. Respect to them and everyone who has suffered loss. My heart goes out to each and every one of you.

3. Rest in peace mate.

Really tragic.

4. RIP a true hereo

5. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

My thoughts are with his family. RIP

6. May his particular God be with him and his Family.

A full blown proper hero doing a fantastic job and paying the ultimate price his Country a rightly proud of him.

Nutty

7. Oi Oi Oi - Well said.

Another very brave man - RIP. As always thoughts are with his family and comrades who are undoubtedly still out there and continuing with the job.

8. R.I.P to a real hero.

Thats put my problems into perspective!

9. RIP
    Stand down soldier.

10. Tragic - and another one I note (this time from 2 Para) bringing the total to 119 - when will it all stop?

11. It's a another blow for us to lose someone who has saved many.
    I never could get my head around bomb disposal tactics[because I don't know and someone may help me out with it]
    Why do we defuse roadside bombs? why not retire and pump some shells into it?
    There has to be a reason,maybe to find out who made it but I don't think it's worth a brave mans life.
    In an essential area maybe but not on a roadside IMO
    Seems odd to me but as said I know nowt about bomb disposal,I do know enough about explosives to realise I would never have the bottle to attempt something like that.
    Just wondered why we defuse IED's at a roadside,maybe that's not the full story.

12. It's a another blow for us to lose someone who has saved many.
    I never could get my head around bomb disposal tactics[because I don't know and someone may help me out with it]
    Why do we defuse roadside bombs? why not retire and pump some shells into it?
    There has to be a reason,maybe to find out who made it but I don't think it's worth a brave mans life.
    In an essential area maybe but not on a roadside IMO
    Seems odd to me but as said I know nowt about bomb disposal,I do know enough about explosives to realise I would never have the bottle to attempt something like that.
    Just wondered why we defuse IED's at a roadside,maybe that's not the full story.

13. At least part of it is for intelligence value. How's it put together, how was it meant to work, what components & explosives were used to build it? Harder to learn the fine details of that, after you've dismantled it with a few rounds of 30mm HE.

That information gets used to (a) improve methods of preventing their bombs going "bang", and (b) to help find the Bad Guys who make them, or who supply the bomb makers.

And that's probably as much as is fit to print.

Men like WO2 O'Donnell who go out to defuse and recover these [email protected] devices are not only seriously courageous, but they save a lot of lives by their work.

14. RIP.
    The UK has lost another hero (in the true sense of the word).