Tjipetir mystery: Why are rubber-like blocks washing up on beaches?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Ninja_Stoker, Dec 2, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

An article here on the BBC Website:

[​IMG]

Full dit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30043875

Thinking about this still further - if these blocks lay undisturbed for 99 years & have only recently started to appear - the question is: Are the salvage company liable for pollution ... AND - What else was there on the wreck that made it necessary to rip it apart? Is it a War Grave?

http://www.uboat.net/wwi/ships_hit/4187.html

2. I was amazed that the rubber blocks had lasted this long!

There was another story somewhere recently about a yank merchant vessel packed full of 1500 mules that was sunk not far off the coast in 1916 I believe. I was surprised anyone was interested in salvaging that, not sure what you'd do with that many donkey bones.

Isn't there a lot of concern, in certain circles, regarding the fuel of wrecks?

3. There certainly has been concern. Enough for MOD to place a contract for heavy fuel oil to be removed from the wreck of HMS Royal Oak, sunk by German U-boat at Scapa in 1939. Oil had been leaking into Scapa Flow for many years.
    Re the WW1 Japanese wreck, Ninja Stoker's point about whether salvage companies could be liable for pollution is interesting and could help put food in the mouths of lawyers' starving children......

What about the liability of countries involved in sinking ships? Mmmmmmm, more food on the lawyers' tables!

4. It is cheaper to scrap and recycle than to dig the Ore out of the ground, and old ships of that vintage would have been Iron rich, so maybe not as mad as it first looks.

5. [QUOTE="
    ...What about the liability of countries involved in sinking ships? Mmmmmmm, more food on the lawyers' tables![/QUOTE]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1