tips on what to expect

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by tommy1980, Apr 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi all . im hoping to join the navy but im over weight ( 16 stone) but im 6 foot and never realy trained before .... i started the gym and walking and proper food ,,, does it get easyer when you have done your pjft ,,,, im scared but i am trying my hardest to get my time down ,,,,any tips or if anyone was in the same boat i would like to hear from you ,,, cheers ,, tommy

2. Hey,

Just so you know I am not in the RN (applying) or anything, but I have been 'training' since I was a kid. It's always hard starting training, but after a week you feel way better than you did previously.

You should just try and vary as much as possible your exercises and routines, so you don't get bored and or reach a plateau. Sometimes when I have got fed up of doing whatever training it is after a few months, I buy Mens Health or something similar and its usualy got some good pointers on how to lose weight, what to eat and different exercises and routines you can do.

The best thing to lose weight quickly is doing interval training and/or running (google interval training if you aren't sure what it is ). And for your overall fitness and muscular endurance getting to a circuits class is the best bet.

Anyway just some ideas, I'm sure there will be a load of people on here with other ideas to help you.

goodluck man

3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Tommy, look through the Newbies threads, theres loads of information in there, good luck to you

4. Tip #1 less commas, seriously one is enough.
    Tip #2 of course it won't get easier once you've done your PJFT. It never gets easier, if training was easy it wouldn't be training, you need to constantly push yourself to improve.

That said, best of luck

5. Steer clear of faddy diets, they don't work and will make things worse in the long run. What it comes down to is a simple case of calories in versus calories out. If your calorie intake is greater than calories expended you'll gain weight, the other way round and you'll lose weight. Bear in mind that the quality of the food you injest is very important to make sure that you get the right balance of protein, carbohydrates and fats. You don't have to be a lentil chomper but don't be a salad dodger. Your best bet is to stay away from burgers, chips and pizzas etc, and any other highly processed foods. I know it's hard to do as the food is highly addictive due to, I believe, the amount of fat and sugar it contains, but I managed to wean myself off of maccy Ds, KFCs and burger kings about five years ago and haven't had one since. As for alcohol, we all like to have a few beers but alcohol is just empty calories, and has no nutritional value. It goes without saying, but I'm saying it anyway, for the best advice go and see a dietician.

As for fitness training, start gently and build up, There's no point in going balls out and doing yourself a mischief then losing enthusiasm. Again get proper advice from the gym staff.

If you struggle with your weight and fitness it will never be easy, so you will have to constantly stay on top of it to maintain your fitness levels. Exercise will have to become part of your lifestyle and once it has you will probably find that it will itself become addictive.

All I have to do now is get my lardy arse off the sofa and follow my own advice. :(

6. Hey tommy

Im in training now and i can say they do push you in the pt sessions.

You will have to carry out a running test on week two then you will have to carry out another on week 7, Between them weeks you will carry out circuit training and cardio and muscular exercises which is usually running then going straight into push ups and press ups straight after.

Concentrate on your running all i can say. Just follow the training guide 8 weeks prior and you should be fine.

But going back to your question, it doesnt get easier they expect you to beat your running time within a minute on your next running test on week 7, so they build you up till then.

Hope this helped

Goodluck.

7. cheers lads ,,,,, thanks for the tips and support ,, tom

8. Is your comma button stuck?