Tips on training

lw2309

Newbie
Hi all,
I'm fifteen, and will be 16 in 9 months and want to join the Royal Marines.

Can anybody please help me with training as I'm not sure how much i should do and how often?

Help will be greatly appreciated :)

Luke.
 

nutty_bag

War Hero
If you have a butchers at some of the threads on this site you will find various training tips and advice that maybe of some use. If not PM me and i'll see what i can do for you young man.

NB
 

lw2309

Newbie
Here is a rough circuit of what I was going to try:

Mon:
Sit-ups for 2 mins
Press-ups for 2 mins
Pull-ups (as many as possible)
Approx 1 hour of P.E. in school

Tues:
1 hour circuit training (light weights, press ups, sit ups, shuttle running etc)
Approx 1 hour of P.E. in school

Wed:
1 hour rock climbing
3 mile run
Sit-ups for 2 mins
Press-ups for 2 mins
Pull-ups (as many as possible)

Thurs:
REST DAY

Fri:
5 mile jog
Sit-ups for 2 mins
Press-ups for 2 mins
Pull-ups (as many as possible)

Sat:
5 mile cycle
Sit-ups for 2 mins
Press-ups for 2 mins
Pull-ups (as many as possible)
3 mile jog

Sun:
Alternate weeks, either paintball or REST DAY

What sort of changes would you reccomend making to this circuit to help improve my fitness, working towards the PRMC.

Luke.
 
Polishing windows, brightwork and wooden floors is a great way of developing your arm muscles - a bit boring at the time though - and good preparation for all the bull you'll get when you join-up! :lol: Do you wear trainers/soft shoes at the moment? You might find it helps to toughen your feet by getting used to wearing proper (ie hard) shoes for walking in - boots will be less of a shock (and might cause fewer painful blisters later) that way. You can also get some practice in polishing those (black) shoes to reduce the impact of the culture shock when you join up.

If you have any chance of staying on for A levels and going to university before joining - do so - the more mature you join the better it will be.

Steve (the Civvy)
 
I would increase the run say about a ten miler. With a good pair of hiking boots eventually but first get your fitness levels up.

No mention of long distance walking?? Look out for a good local walking group Ramblers Association to name one.

I lead walks from ten to eighteen miles. And when they have been on a ex bootie walk they always go home fully refreshed.

Your skills as a bootie include map reading and compass work and what better a way to learn than with a walking group.

Look out for long distance walks there are plenty about.

http://www.ldwa.org.uk/

Long distance walking group have walks from twenty miles to the annual hundred miler. Do not be put off by the old codgers in the groups, many are ex forces and can still show the way to the young uns who arrive.

My old area has a thirty five miler once a year which is fun, monies raised help the fire brigade benevolent fund and the fire brigade mountaineer section who take kids out into the mountains. The challenge is to walk the trail in a day. Nothing hard about this walk! Good cause and fun at the same time

http://www.frodsham06.co.uk/
 

lw2309

Newbie
Cheers guys,
Hadn't thought about the long distance walks or the boots, normally I just run in running shoes but will look for some boots.

Greendeath - At the moment my training is onyl small, about 2 hours in school and sit-ups 5 times a week.

The training i posted up earlier was just a rough idea I had after viewing a few of the physical tests on the royal navy site.

I'm going to try to incorporate your ideas into my training to try and reach my full potential so thanks again guys.

Luke.
 
Backpacker1uk said:
I would increase the run say about a ten miler. With a good pair of hiking boots eventually but first get your fitness levels up.

No mention of long distance walking?? Look out for a good local walking group Ramblers Association to name one.

I lead walks from ten to eighteen miles. And when they have been on a ex bootie walk they always go home fully refreshed.

Your skills as a bootie include map reading and compass work and what better a way to learn than with a walking group.

Look out for long distance walks there are plenty about.

http://www.ldwa.org.uk/

Long distance walking group have walks from twenty miles to the annual hundred miler. Do not be put off by the old codgers in the groups, many are ex forces and can still show the way to the young uns who arrive.

My old area has a thirty five miler once a year which is fun, monies raised help the fire brigade benevolent fund and the fire brigade mountaineer section who take kids out into the mountains. The challenge is to walk the trail in a day. Nothing hard about this walk! Good cause and fun at the same time

http://www.frodsham06.co.uk/

Happy memories. Night marching is good fun too, especially on a cold, rainy night.... :lol:
 
lw2309 said:
Hi all,
I'm fifteen, and will be 16 in 9 months and want to join the Royal Marines.

Can anybody please help me with training as I'm not sure how much i should do and how often?

Help will be greatly appreciated :)

Luke.



Alright mate

I posted a couple of training tips that might be of interest to you.

http://www.rumration.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=817.html

Getting your feet accustomed to wearing issue boots is a good idea, however stick to hill walking and general milling around in them - DONT go running in them, as this is a sure way of buggering your legs. You will do plenty of boot runs in time, but at the moment the most important thing is to work on your CV training and upper body strength.

Stick to running (in trainers), hill sprints, circuit training, cycling and swimming. For upper body workouts, leave the weights (for now) and work on bodyweight exercises, ie: Press-ups, Sit-ups, Pull-ups, Handstand shoulder-press etc. Give it a year of this and then start incorporating weights into your program.

There are some serving and ex-bootnecks on here who have a lot of experience, so dont be afraid to ask questions. They will always give you advice if they can.
Im a soon-to-be Recruit with the RMR, but I do have a fair bit of experience in fitness training. If you need any more advice from me, feel free to PM me.

Good luck mucker

Spenny
 

nutty_bag

War Hero
lw2309 said:
Cheers guys,
Hadn't thought about the long distance walks or the boots, normally I just run in running shoes but will look for some boots.

Greendeath - At the moment my training is onyl small, about 2 hours in school and sit-ups 5 times a week.

The training i posted up earlier was just a rough idea I had after viewing a few of the physical tests on the royal navy site.

I'm going to try to incorporate your ideas into my training to try and reach my full potential so thanks again guys.

Luke.

Luke

heed the advice given mate. AAC made an excellent point about getting through your A levels first. This will stand you in excellent stead when you eventually apply. Also. As i mentioned in my PM your a young lad so your bones will not have fully developed yet. DONT RUN IN BOOTS and DO NOT DO ANY WEIGHTS as yet. Stick to the running and as has been pointed out get yourself outside with a map and compass with some friends and learn to navigate from A-B as this is a basic but essential skill that you will need to learn. Good luck, PM if needed

NB
 

Mitch

Badgeman
Hey guys, i'm in much the same situation (ie 15 wanting to join after A-levels). Just want to know when is it a good time to start weights?
 

Latest Threads

New Posts

Top