Tips for fitness test

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by lu1986, Sep 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I'm trying to pass my fitness test. Went for it back in March but injured my leg quite badly..finding it hard to get the motivation back to running and not panicking about injuring myself permanently.. Does anyone have any tips? Thanks

2. It's really not that hard, just go for a few runs, get a bike, go swimming, cut down on the pies and booze. I think the required time is 11.13 for a lad under 25. If you can't drag yourself round a mile and a half in under 10.30 you clearly lack the motivation required to be in the Forces.

3. Get some banging tunes on, and get out there. Linkin Park does it for me.

4. I can run the mile and a half when i'm on my own going for a proper run, it's just getting that weird constant speed that he set on the treadmill. not run not jog...random. Thanks for the help thoguh guys! (and i'm a girl) hah

5. In that case get yourself down the gym and practice practice practice.

Fancy a fu.....coffee?

6. haha lovely!!

7. That's the best advice anyone has given me in the past few months... thank you for all your help.

8. I'm also a girl. I can't run for toffee. I passed. Practice, and when you can't run anymore, keep running. It really is that simple.

9. If you cant pass an RNFT consider killing yourself. That is my only advice.

10. start with the basics, in every week, set yourself a rota, and give yourself oneday off, say sunday for instance, so monday go for a sprinting session, maybe with a friend to time it, or with an ipod on sprint a hundred metres, or between a few lampposts or something, stop and check your time, hav a minute break and do it again trying to beat if not equal your previous time, do this about 10 times. then on tuesday go for a long jog for about half hour minimum, make a note of the distance covered, wednesday back to sprinting, again trying to beat or equal your previous times, thursday the jog. once you get used to it, you can increase the distance of the sprint, or the amount of times you do it, and increase the speed of the jog, maybe fitting a few sprints into it. after a while it will all fit into place, when it does you can switch one of the jogs each week for a timed mile and a half, crack it on the road first, then practice on the treadmill as it is very different. good luck

11. I've passed 4 annual fitness tests since I've rejoined, no one dips out, some dip in more than others. So not really annual, I'm glad I got myself marathon fit lol

12. Oh as for tips, just get out there an run, run and run. Mix it up with some interval training as well as other CV exercises and you'll be fine.

13. brilliant! Thank you so much!

14. any chance of a phot of you after a hard sweaty jogging session - its not for me - its to show my lads motivation etc etc .

15. Treadmill Skills

Get to that guy's skill level and you will fly through im sure. If that fails i find putting one foot in front of the other is a good way to manage the time required.

16. I'll see what I can do!

17. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

This thread is so bone it's fab, if you cant work out to get good at running you actually need to go running is awesome.

Once upon a time, many moons ago I had half a shandy and felt a bit giddy, I stuck at it, over time and with lots of repeated practice I got good. I think for me it was repitition, I just kept hammering away at it and gradualy I got better, I could take more and more without feeling the effects, admittedly I now feel I may be past my best and the recovery time takes a wee bit longer but keep at it girl, you'll get there.

18. Turn up to the test...I reckon that would help to pass it.

19. jockpopeye

jockpopeye Badgeman Book Reviewer

If you feel like you need to stop to be sick, it is a good sign that you are running fast enough.