Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Tips everyone should know

For the clankies amongst you.

When its broken don't just jump in with your tools but ...... R T F M.

Read The Fcuking Manual

Hate to "correct" the bit about midnight because I totaly agree. However due to a bit too much interfearence from our NATO allies quite recently we have been instructed to use 0000 or 2400. Modern computor systems can not cope with the missing minutes. The confusion over the start or end of the day should be alieviated by the context in which the times are used.

Deckhead_Inspector said:
Hate to "correct" the bit about midnight because I totaly agree. However due to a bit too much interfearence from our NATO allies quite recently we have been instructed to use 0000 or 2400. Modern computor systems can not cope with the missing minutes. The confusion over the start or end of the day should be alieviated by the context in which the times are used.

Heaven forbid we should upset the bloody computers.

Time....... was...... in the old navy....firmly under the control of humankind.

Progress huh !!!!!!!!

It occurs to me however, that having worked in software development for five years when I first left the mob. The software we purveyed (Mimic 2001) CMMS software, could cope with the missing seconds.....skipping over timelines.... datelines etc and could even make a decent stab at guessing what it was the stoker was trying to type in !

When onboard ship on a weekend, and a regular light-heartedly suggests you take a break since you're on Saturday routine, do not say that the reserves, unlike regulars, work weekends.

I have never heard a mess go so quiet so quickly.

Bit of an old one this but might spare you a bollocking. The "Correct" response to a verbal order is "Aye Aye" though of course the awful and technically incorrect "Roger" is used. Probably best to just say "yes", unless the situation calls for the formal response. NEVER EVER say "Very Good" as the Army do. In the RN "Very Good" is an acknowlegement of a junior's response to a senior. I did it once and was roundly repremanded with "Of course it's 'Very Good' Snots, I bloody well said it!" Miserable rest of watch folowed.
("Roger" means "message recieved" and does not imply that you will carry out any instructions contained in the message. Therefore it could be deemed insolent.)

Blapto said:
PartTimer said:
It's either 2359 or 0001 - never 2400 or 0000 - to avoid confusion as to what day it is.
What time is it 30 seconds after midnight?

Blapto

When you join the Mob, don't question your elders just accept that time in the Royal Navy is suspended for two minutes between 2359 and 0001.

Look every evening in harbour the Duty Officer (OOD)will perform with the detailed hands Sunset, lower Jack and Ensign.

Hand on Ensign, "Sunset Sir"
OOD, "Make it So"
both flags then lowered.

Do you realy think the sun will stay up in the sky if some snotty subby says "No" , but the Navy like to think it will. Learn to live with it.

Nutty

Deck head

You are correct there, when I did my logging ATC part of the course at Dryad "Roger" meant only message received. I may not have understood it, It could be encripted, or I may not act on it.
"Wilco" meant message received and understood and I will act on it if that is part of the message.

Shoot a weapon never fire cos that is a burning item.
Shut for all holes, valves, hatches and doors.

Nutty

Latest Threads