Tips everyone should know

McHammock

Lantern Swinger
Following comment on another topic with not knowing that RN gives time as 4 digits NOT using hours e.g. 1900 not 1900 hrs (bells me hearty), what other (semi) serious tips can people think to pass on ?

A couple of starters:
Always complete ship's log in pencil NEVER use a pen (If log gets wet when ships sinks then it can still be read, ink runs)

Always use 2B pencil for chartwork (Easier to rub out & reuse chart. When I was NO I used to upset lots of JOs/QMs by breaking their HB pencils & giving them a float test)
 

sinbad

Lantern Swinger
Things never to say
When talking to a Marine ' so your a Marine what instrument do you play?'
 
B

Blapto

Guest
PartTimer said:
It's either 2359 or 0001 - never 2400 or 0000 - to avoid confusion as to what day it is.
What time is it 30 seconds after midnight?
 
sinbad said:
Things never to say
When talking to a Marine ' so your a Marine what instrument do you play?'
Glorified Bandsmen used to be a wind from a ex deck ape. Which of course fell on deaf ears.
 

McHammock

Lantern Swinger
Blapto said:
PartTimer said:
It's either 2359 or 0001 - never 2400 or 0000 - to avoid confusion as to what day it is.
What time is it 30 seconds after midnight?
30 secs after midnight is 0000 and 30 sec.
RN never uses 0000 or 2400.
We miss a second every day by going from 2359 and 59 sec, dwell a pause of 2 marching paces to 0000 and 01 sec
 

Geoff_Wessex

Lantern Swinger
In boats, it's never "Close".... it's "SHUT".

And don't whistle - in GS it's considered the tune of mutiny, in boats it's the sound of escaping steam, oil or water.

If you ditch gash at sea, ditch it towards aft (or downwind). Similar with spitting!
 

chieftiff

War Hero
Moderator
Geoff_Wessex said:
In boats, it's never "Close".... it's "SHUT".

And don't whistle - in GS it's considered the tune of mutiny, in boats it's the sound of escaping steam, oil or water.

If you ditch gash at sea, ditch it towards aft (or downwind). Similar with spitting!
Don't ditch gash at sea (MARPOL- International Convention on Marine Polution for non acronymers)
 
chieftiff said:
Geoff_Wessex said:
In boats, it's never "Close".... it's "SHUT".

And don't whistle - in GS it's considered the tune of mutiny, in boats it's the sound of escaping steam, oil or water.

If you ditch gash at sea, ditch it towards aft (or downwind). Similar with spitting!
Don't ditch gash at sea (MARPOL- International Convention on Marine Polution for non acronymers)
Don't get caught ditching gash.
 

CheefTiff

Lantern Swinger
For the clankies amongst you.

When its broken don't just jump in with your tools but ...... R T F M.



Read The Fcuking Manual
 

Latest Threads

Top