Tips everyone should know

McHammock

Lantern Swinger
Following comment on another topic with not knowing that RN gives time as 4 digits NOT using hours e.g. 1900 not 1900 hrs (bells me hearty), what other (semi) serious tips can people think to pass on ?

A couple of starters:
Always complete ship's log in pencil NEVER use a pen (If log gets wet when ships sinks then it can still be read, ink runs)

Always use 2B pencil for chartwork (Easier to rub out & reuse chart. When I was NO I used to upset lots of JOs/QMs by breaking their HB pencils & giving them a float test)

McHammock

Lantern Swinger
Blapto said:
PartTimer said:
It's either 2359 or 0001 - never 2400 or 0000 - to avoid confusion as to what day it is.
What time is it 30 seconds after midnight?
30 secs after midnight is 0000 and 30 sec.
RN never uses 0000 or 2400.
We miss a second every day by going from 2359 and 59 sec, dwell a pause of 2 marching paces to 0000 and 01 sec

Geoff_Wessex

Lantern Swinger
In boats, it's never "Close".... it's "SHUT".

And don't whistle - in GS it's considered the tune of mutiny, in boats it's the sound of escaping steam, oil or water.

If you ditch gash at sea, ditch it towards aft (or downwind). Similar with spitting!

chieftiff

War Hero
Geoff_Wessex said:

And don't whistle - in GS it's considered the tune of mutiny, in boats it's the sound of escaping steam, oil or water.

If you ditch gash at sea, ditch it towards aft (or downwind). Similar with spitting!
Don't ditch gash at sea (MARPOL- International Convention on Marine Polution for non acronymers)

chieftiff said:
Geoff_Wessex said:

Don't ditch gash at sea (MARPOL- International Convention on Marine Polution for non acronymers)
Don't get caught ditching gash.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Nautical Jokes 0
RNMA Submariners 17
M Submariners 83