Tips everyone should know

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by McHammock, May 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Following comment on another topic with not knowing that RN gives time as 4 digits NOT using hours e.g. 1900 not 1900 hrs (bells me hearty), what other (semi) serious tips can people think to pass on ?

A couple of starters:
    Always complete ship's log in pencil NEVER use a pen (If log gets wet when ships sinks then it can still be read, ink runs)

Always use 2B pencil for chartwork (Easier to rub out & reuse chart. When I was NO I used to upset lots of JOs/QMs by breaking their HB pencils & giving them a float test)

2. Chart not map.

3. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Never ask the Buffer for string!

4. Unless you're taking part in littoral ops, where both charts and maps are used. :wink:

G

5. It's either 2359 or 0001 - never 2400 or 0000 - to avoid confusion as to what day it is.

6. Things never to say
    When talking to a Marine ' so your a Marine what instrument do you play?'

7. What time is it 30 seconds after midnight?

8. Glorified Bandsmen used to be a wind from a ex deck ape. Which of course fell on deaf ears.

9. 30 secs after midnight is 0000 and 30 sec.
    RN never uses 0000 or 2400.
    We miss a second every day by going from 2359 and 59 sec, dwell a pause of 2 marching paces to 0000 and 01 sec

10. In boats, it's never "Close".... it's "SHUT".

And don't whistle - in GS it's considered the tune of mutiny, in boats it's the sound of escaping steam, oil or water.

If you ditch gash at sea, ditch it towards aft (or downwind). Similar with spitting!

11. chieftiff

Don't ditch gash at sea (MARPOL- International Convention on Marine Polution for non acronymers)

12. It attracts the giant squids.

13. Don't get caught ditching gash.

14. chieftiff

Ah! I stand corrected.

15. Try not to confuse 3 deck with 03 deck.

And they are decks, not floors.

16. If you're a JR salute WO1s, they love correcting you. Belay that... DON'T salute...

17. Don't stand up in your hammock

18. For the clankies amongst you.

When its broken don't just jump in with your tools but ...... R T F M.

Read The Fcuking Manual

19. Yellow snow does not make nice coffee

20. Don't take it for granted tnat it is your half a kebab on the messdeck table.! :twisted: