Tips and advice on PRNC + Swimming test

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by TaffLewis, Aug 15, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've recently passed my selection interview and i'm currently undergoing Security Clearance, I was told that i have to at some-point take part in this Pre-Royal Navy Course. I know very little about what happens on this course and was wondering if someone from this site could shed some light on the specific goings on in this course, as far as i know i have too;

Royal Navy Acquaint Days | Royal Navy

• 2.4KM in under 12minutes 20seconds (Presuming this time around it's not on a treadmill)
    • Swim 50 metres in under four minutes wearing a swimming costume without touching the bottom or sides of the pool. You must enter and exit the pool unaided and without using steps.

Now, the running i know i can do. The swimming on the other-hand i'm rather unsure about. I can swim 50 meters with ease. But, on that website, it does not tell me if i have to do it with a specific stroke, I'd much rather freestyle as i know it's quicker.

Or if there is any other aspects of the swim could potentially fail me from the test. Also, the type of the swimming costume would be appreciated, so i know what i must wear. I'm guessing it's overalls of some kind?

All insight on this matter would be appreciated, if there is anything else about the course you feel i should know about also, would be helpful.

2. I think all your questions can be answered using the Newbies section, if you want a good insight into the Swimming and aspects of fitness I suggest you PM "Rumrat" who I believe is the absolute authority on fitness regimes
  3. For swimming they will give you the overalls, the gear you need to take is either a mankini or a tight pair of speedo's.

Speedo's are preferred as they'll think your a SETT instructor.

The ability to float is optional.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Do not wear speedo's! You'll get ripped for it! One of the guys on mine wore them and got ripped for it all week, just wear shorts.

The first swim test is just swim 50m in your shorts and climb out of the pool unaided, if you pass this then you get a chance to have a go at the Raleigh swim test which is done in overalls. You have to tread water for 2 minutes and then do the 50m swim & climb out. You have to jump off the diving board too, but it's only like 3m high or something.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions, I've done one before and am due on another one a week Monday :) x
  5. Dont listen to him he's winding you up. Speedos are the garment of choice, its just that in Wales they can't afford them. This chap obviously failed the first one hence the retest. Do as I suggest and PM Rumrat
  6. I thought Rummers was out doing a couple of Iron Man runs this week ?
  7. Iron lung more like.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Sounds like a chick to me. Any phots of you in your swim wear?

9. Is that a piss take or a typo????? Four minutes you could ******* float down the pool in that time.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. I'm actually female, and no I didn't fail.
  11. Are you one of those rats biggun's or an exceptional fitty?

If you're fit, we should definitely hook up.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Always the smoothie
  13. When & where?
  14. I think Cúnts out on parole in 2 weeks Rah-Rah so plenty of time to order in pepper spray etc.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. A wood of your choosing. No more than 8 stone because I've got a shocking shoulder at the moment and may struggle to deftly lift your 'sleeping' form in to the van.
  16. Thank you. That's all i needed. Good luck with your swim.

Exactly what i thought. Was one of the reasons as to why i was unsure with the whole test.
  17. Believe it or not, I did my PRNC last week and someone had to be pulled out of the pool by a lifeguard because he was drowning. 50 metres mind!
  18. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If you press the "play" button on the link in your post & actually watch the video, you'll probably feel a little silly at about 02:08

All your questions are answered on the video.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

The site is still waiting for the pictures of you in your Speedo's
  20. Just quoting because I thought it was worth mentioning twice.

Would it help if I told you I was a taff too?