Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tips and advice on PRNC + Swimming test

TaffLewis

I've recently passed my selection interview and i'm currently undergoing Security Clearance, I was told that i have to at some-point take part in this Pre-Royal Navy Course. I know very little about what happens on this course and was wondering if someone from this site could shed some light on the specific goings on in this course, as far as i know i have too;

Royal Navy Acquaint Days | Royal Navy

• 2.4KM in under 12minutes 20seconds (Presuming this time around it's not on a treadmill)
  • Swim 50 metres in under four minutes wearing a swimming costume without touching the bottom or sides of the pool. You must enter and exit the pool unaided and without using steps.

Now, the running i know i can do. The swimming on the other-hand i'm rather unsure about. I can swim 50 meters with ease. But, on that website, it does not tell me if i have to do it with a specific stroke, I'd much rather freestyle as i know it's quicker.

Or if there is any other aspects of the swim could potentially fail me from the test. Also, the type of the swimming costume would be appreciated, so i know what i must wear. I'm guessing it's overalls of some kind?

All insight on this matter would be appreciated, if there is anything else about the course you feel i should know about also, would be helpful.

Thanks.

trelawney126

War Hero
I think all your questions can be answered using the Newbies section, if you want a good insight into the Swimming and aspects of fitness I suggest you PM "Rumrat" who I believe is the absolute authority on fitness regimes

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
For swimming they will give you the overalls, the gear you need to take is either a mankini or a tight pair of speedo's.

Speedo's are preferred as they'll think your a SETT instructor.

The ability to float is optional.

Rah-Rah

Badgeman
Do not wear speedo's! You'll get ripped for it! One of the guys on mine wore them and got ripped for it all week, just wear shorts.

The first swim test is just swim 50m in your shorts and climb out of the pool unaided, if you pass this then you get a chance to have a go at the Raleigh swim test which is done in overalls. You have to tread water for 2 minutes and then do the 50m swim & climb out. You have to jump off the diving board too, but it's only like 3m high or something.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions, I've done one before and am due on another one a week Monday :) x

trelawney126

War Hero
Dont listen to him he's winding you up. Speedos are the garment of choice, its just that in Wales they can't afford them. This chap obviously failed the first one hence the retest. Do as I suggest and PM Rumrat

Andy_Cap

War Hero
Dont listen to him he's winding you up. Speedos are the garment of choice, its just that in Wales they can't afford them. This chap obviously failed the first one hence the retest. Do as I suggest and PM Rumrat

I thought Rummers was out doing a couple of Iron Man runs this week ?

frogman007

War Hero

Sounds like a chick to me. Any phots of you in your swim wear?

frogman007

War Hero
I've recently passed my selection interview and i'm currently undergoing Security Clearance, I was told that i have to at some-point take part in this Pre-Royal Navy Course. I know very little about what happens on this course and was wondering if someone from this site could shed some light on the specific goings on in this course, as far as i know i have too;

• 2.4KM in under 12minutes 20seconds (Presuming this time around it's not on a treadmill)
  • Swim 50 metres in under four minutes wearing a swimming costume without touching the bottom or sides of the pool. You must enter and exit the pool unaided and without using steps.

Now, the running i know i can do. The swimming on the other-hand i'm rather unsure about. I can swim 50 meters with ease. But, on that website, it does not tell me if i have to do it with a specific stroke, I'd much rather freestyle as i know it's quicker.

Or if there is any other aspects of the swim could potentially fail me from the test. Also, the type of the swimming costume would be appreciated, so i know what i must wear. I'm guessing it's overalls of some kind?

All insight on this matter would be appreciated, if there is anything else about the course you feel i should know about also, would be helpful.

Thanks.

Is that a piss take or a typo????? Four minutes you could ******* float down the pool in that time.

Rah-Rah

Badgeman

I'm actually female, and no I didn't fail.

TaffLewis

Do not wear speedo's! You'll get ripped for it! One of the guys on mine wore them and got ripped for it all week, just wear shorts.

The first swim test is just swim 50m in your shorts and climb out of the pool unaided, if you pass this then you get a chance to have a go at the Raleigh swim test which is done in overalls. You have to tread water for 2 minutes and then do the 50m swim & climb out. You have to jump off the diving board too, but it's only like 3m high or something.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions, I've done one before and am due on another one a week Monday :) x

Thank you. That's all i needed. Good luck with your swim.

Is that a piss take or a typo????? Four minutes you could ******* float down the pool in that time.

Exactly what i thought. Was one of the reasons as to why i was unsure with the whole test.

Rah-Rah

Badgeman
Exactly what i thought. Was one of the reasons as to why i was unsure with the whole test.

Believe it or not, I did my PRNC last week and someone had to be pulled out of the pool by a lifeguard because he was drowning. 50 metres mind!

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero

Thanks.

If you press the "play" button on the link in your post & actually watch the video, you'll probably feel a little silly at about 02:08

All your questions are answered on the video.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Believe it or not, I did my PRNC last week and someone had to be pulled out of the pool by a lifeguard because he was drowning. 50 metres mind!

The site is still waiting for the pictures of you in your Speedo's

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Travel tips and advice if you're heading to a music festival in Portugal MoD News 0
N Got my entry date- any tips or advice? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
Sugar_Rush Interview- Advice and Tips very welcome Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
N Looking for advice/tips/experiences... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
Ant_H Hiya folk, advice/tips please :D Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
D HMS Raleigh Advice and Tips Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1116
MoD_RSS Festive travel tips for people considering overseas travel MoD News 0
4 Any tips for getting in the right frame of mind as a submariner? Joining the Royal Navy 19
MoD_RSS Coronavirus (COVID-19): letter to councils on the re-opening of public toilets and tips MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coal Authority attends safety meeting about coal tips in Wales MoD News 1
R Tips and tricks for HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 19
MoD_RSS Santa’s top safety tips MoD News 0
MoD_RSS HMRC tips on avoiding Self Assessment tax scams MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Waves and wind safety - top 5 tips MoD News 0
MorganCUFC Looking for Fitness tips Joining the Royal Navy 2
MoD_RSS Japanese comedian’s top tips for fans travelling to the Rugby World Cup MoD News 0
S Psychometric test tips/tools? Joining the Royal Navy 2
MoD_RSS Press release: 7 tips for motorists to stay safe online MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Welsh company shares top tips for exporting in new podcast series MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Colliery tips in South Wales to be inspected over next 5 years MoD News 0
F PRNC tips Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
vauxhall Tips and Facts Finance & Pensions 0
Impact Training tips and tricks? Joining the Royal Navy 7
T5igger Interview tips for MA Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
D 10k tips Health & Fitness 8
C Any last tips? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
R Complete Newbie here, I've got a question to ask, and asking for some tips for the RN interview. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
R Complete Newbie here, I've got a question to ask, and asking for some tips for the RN interview. The Quarterdeck 2
P PJFT Tips Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
A I'm back from my PRNC - Here's a few tips for anyone yet to do it! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 50
ScottG95 HMS Raleigh Phase 2 tips? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
S PRNC TIPS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 44
CalCi Tips on training for the 2.4km run Health & Fitness 139
taffscrivs Top Tips. Diamond Lil's 368
T Kit/equipment tips and tricks for when in the field Travel & The Great Outdoors 49
A Recruitment test help!!! And tips! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
DemobJob Top 10 Tips for ex-military CVs The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
S Fitness Tips for Newbies Diamond Lil's 3
R i have my rt tuesday.. any tips are very welcome!! Diamond Lil's 10
S Any tips for Peda selection? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
ToonPatriot Tips for an AET starting Phase 2 soon... The Fleet Air Arm 8
janner Tips For Student Pilots The Fleet Air Arm 4
9 13 days notice S*****g my pants any last minute tips :D Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 44
finknottle Tax saving tips Current Affairs 22
A Hot investment tips for 2006 Nautical Jokes 0
soleil Boxing Technique - Top Tips Sports and Adventure Training 29
R Any tips for RT on wednesday? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 33
L Tips for fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
soleil Top Tips For Cooling Down In The Heat The Quarterdeck 38
K BRNC - any tips on getting ahead with study material? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14