Tip for anyone who suffers from shin splints

Discussion in 'Sports and Adventure Training' started by watch_and_shoot, Jul 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A common problem these days, so I thought Id post my experiences and how I beat the problem.

Until recently I had suffered from severe shin pain post exercise and ended up only being able to run only once or twice a week, then having to rest to ease the pain before running again.

I tried physiotherapy/massage, orthotics, brufen, motion control running shoes, running on softer surfaces, shin splint prevention/strengthening exercises - every fckn method known to mankind and it cost me a small fortune!! In the end however, all it took was a change in the type of running shoes I use and I am 100% percent cured!! Let me explain……………

I visited a reputable running store, where they checked my footstrike, running gait and asked about my type of running and mileage. I am fairly flat footed and over-pronate too, so with this in mind I was advised to buy a pair of Saucony Grid Omni running shoes - I checked the online reviews and found them to be a popular choice amongst moderate overpronators who run middle - long distance. The inside of each shoe has a greyed out area from the heel to the ball of the foot and this area is rigid (instead of the normal cushioned sole) to correct your foot alignment when running.

After running in them for 6 months and trying everything I could to cure the pain, I finally opted to buy another pair new running shoes (gutted considering the Saucony were brand new and cost nearly £100!!!). I decided to go for Asics 1120 Gel running shoes, which like the Saucony, are designed for moderate over-pronators. They are very similar running shoes and the Asics also have the greyed out area at the side of the shoe, however this rigid bar is half the length of the Saucony, which means that the heel area in particular is all gel cushioning - I believe its the extra cushioning in the heel that has made all the difference for me!!

To top it all off, I have now added a pair of sorbothane insoles and its not only completely cured the pain but has also improved my performance. Basically my point is its not always worn out running shoes, overtraining, running on hard surfaces etc, that can cause this condition - sometimes it can just be the wrong make of shoe for your body.
    So if your looking at buying new running shoes or your currently suffering from shin splints, take this into consideration before you go spending a fortune on expensive orthotics and the likes. It could save your bank account from taking a beating and you from further injury!!!

Its worth noting that Im not in any way having a dig at Saucony, who make great running shoes - they obviously just don’t work very well with my body and my running style.
  2. I'd wholly endorse this, I had a similar issue and the same solution a couple of years ago.

For me it was going from Nike and Reebok to Saucony Grid Omis that made the difference.

Vive le difference.....
  3. Sorbothane worked for me when I was into running long times ago.

Sadly the back gave out on me so many times that it was time to hang up the running shoes and take to the hills. I enjoyed the marathon plods and the annual LLandudno ten miler.

Supination and pronation http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/sma/sma_pronatio_art.htm
  4. It really worked for me.

I train with a chap who is a fell runner and he always beats me to the top of a certain hill we run. Normally my shins are killing me and my feet feel like they are slapping off the ground and not really absorbing the impact. However with the combination of a change in running shoe and sorbothane insoles I took off up the hill like I has springs on my feet and beat him to the top. Even he commented on hjow my whole body posture had changed and that I looked much more agile and had a spring in my step.
  5. Thanks for the thread Spenny and good to see you back.

I had a conversation with the guy who has been treating me for my back problem about shin splints. His take on it is that Doctors dont know enough about the nerve routes and what effect they can have on the body so they immediately put the pain and soreness down as shin splints. This condition could be a million things other than shin splints so it is worth getting a second opinion always if your not entirely convinced.

I have been running in Asics Gels for donkies and walshes for when i go for a bimble in the hills, work for me!!!