Times: "Youngest Troops ‘Most At Risk Of Stress’"

October 28 2013

"The youngest and least educated soldiers in the British Army are disproportionately vulnerable to post-traumatic stress disorder, a report has found.

The study, by the pressure group ForcesWatch, also cited evidence that older soldiers and those with higher levels of education had a greater level of resistance to trauma.

The report said that veterans of the Iraq and Afghan wars who had joined the Armed Forces without GCSEs or Scottish Standards had suffered twice the rate of post-traumatic stress of the wider Armed Forces, with 8 per cent being found to have the condition.

A quarter of 18 to 24-year-old soldiers reported harmful levels of alcohol intake — twice the average for the Armed Forces and three times that of civilians of a similar age.

The research also found evidence of criminal convictions for violence by Iraq and Afghan war veterans. Twenty-four per cent of Iraq veterans from the lowest ranks, and thus the youngest, reported behaving violently in the weeks after returning home. The average across Iraq veterans was 13 per cent. Criminal offences for violence are twice as high among Iraq and Afghan war veterans as among the same group before they enlisted.

The study cited evidence that the suicide rate among soldiers under 20 was three times that of equivalent civilians.

ForcesWatch campaigns to have the recruitment age of the Armed Forces raised from 16 to 18. The report, The Last Ambush? Aspects of Mental Health in the British Armed Forces, included analysis of 41 studies of veterans commissioned by the Ministry of Defence.

The report acknowledges that the youngest soldiers, and those without qualifications, are disproportionately recruited into the infantry, which had seven times the rate of fatalities of other military branches in Afghanistan.

The MoD said the report had failed to state the advantages of service life and that no one could join under the age of 18 without parental permission."

Youngest troops ‘most at risk of stress’ | The Times

From the ForcesWatch website:

Forces Watch | War trauma hits young soldiers hardest: new report

http://www.forceswatch.net/sites/default/files/The_Last_Ambush_web.pdf

Forces Watch | ForcesWatch response to the Ministry of Defence's statement about The Last Ambush, 28 October 2013

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Funny old thing, Army infantry are seven times more likely to be injured in combat than a skilled Army trade. I seriously wonder whether "Forces Watch" actually have a scooby what infantry do.

With regard mental health issues, a snapshot here:

dasa said:
During the three-month period April - June 2012, 954 new episodes of care for mental disorder were identified within UK Armed Forces personnel, representing a rate of 5.0 per 1,000 strength [1 in 200 or 0.5%].

For the 954 personnel assessed for a new episode of care with a mental disorder, there were some statistically significant findings:

Army and RAF personnel had significantly higher rates of mental disorder (5.3 per 1,000 strength [1 in 188 or 0.53%]). and 5.7 per 1,000 strength [1 in 176 or 0.57%]).respectively) compared to Royal Navy personnel and Royal Marine personnel (3.2 per 1,000 strength [1 in 312 or 0.32%]).and 3.0 per 1,000 strength respectively [1 in 333 or 0.3%]).

The rate of mental disorder was higher in females than males (11.6 per 1,000 strength [1 in 86 or 1.16%]).and 4.3 per 1,000 strength respectively [1 in 232 or 0.43%]).).

Rates of those assessed with a mental health disorder in Other Ranks were higher than Officers. Ranks had a significantly higher rate of mental disorder at 5.5 per 1,000 strength compared to Officers at 2.9 per 1,000 strength. The differences between Ranks and Officers may be due to educational and/or socio-economic background, where both higher educational attainment and higher socio-economic background are associated with lower levels of mental health disorder (Meltzer et all.,2003). The majority of Officers (with the exception of those promoted from the Ranks) are recruited as graduates of the higher education system, whilst the majority of other Ranks are recruited straight from school and often from the inner cities (particularly for the Army).

These findings are consistent with previous reports.

exJenny

War Hero
Book Reviewer
That's true, during my time on one of the crab squadrons I was attached too 50% of the WRAF's went to RAF Wroughton for a basket weaving course!

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
Did you tip them over the edge?

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren.

October 28 2013

"The youngest and least educated soldiers in the British Army are disproportionately vulnerable to post-traumatic stress disorder, a report has found.

The study, by the pressure group ForcesWatch, also cited evidence that older soldiers and those with higher levels of education had a greater level of resistance to trauma.

The report said that veterans of the Iraq and Afghan wars who had joined the Armed Forces without GCSEs or Scottish Standards had suffered twice the rate of post-traumatic stress of the wider Armed Forces, with 8 per cent being found to have the condition.

A quarter of 18 to 24-year-old soldiers reported harmful levels of alcohol intake — twice the average for the Armed Forces and three times that of civilians of a similar age.

The research also found evidence of criminal convictions for violence by Iraq and Afghan war veterans. Twenty-four per cent of Iraq veterans from the lowest ranks, and thus the youngest, reported behaving violently in the weeks after returning home. The average across Iraq veterans was 13 per cent. Criminal offences for violence are twice as high among Iraq and Afghan war veterans as among the same group before they enlisted.

The study cited evidence that the suicide rate among soldiers under 20 was three times that of equivalent civilians.

ForcesWatch campaigns to have the recruitment age of the Armed Forces raised from 16 to 18. The report, The Last Ambush? Aspects of Mental Health in the British Armed Forces, included analysis of 41 studies of veterans commissioned by the Ministry of Defence.

The report acknowledges that the youngest soldiers, and those without qualifications, are disproportionately recruited into the infantry, which had seven times the rate of fatalities of other military branches in Afghanistan.

The MoD said the report had failed to state the advantages of service life and that no one could join under the age of 18 without parental permission."

Youngest troops ‘most at risk of stress’ | The Times

From the ForcesWatch website:

Forces Watch | War trauma hits young soldiers hardest: new report

http://www.forceswatch.net/sites/default/files/The_Last_Ambush_web.pdf

Forces Watch | ForcesWatch response to the Ministry of Defence's statement about The Last Ambush, 28 October 2013
Bollox. How about those who have left and really feel like filling their garage with pure carbon monoxide? ****ing trust me, some of us want to.

**** stats. Shit happens to all ages.

Don't like my post? Blow me!

Bollox. How about those who have left and really feel like filling their garage with pure carbon monoxide? ****ing trust me, some of us want to.

I like it, I like it.

G

guestm

Some of us want you to do it too.

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Funny old thing, Army infantry are seven times more likely to be injured in combat than a skilled Army trade. I seriously wonder whether "Forces Watch" actually have a scooby what infantry do.
When I joined, my trade (Combat Radio Operator) allegedly had a lifespan of roughly ten minutes in a combat zone, according to the experts. That shit me up more than the actual combat bit to be honest.

When I joined, my trade (Combat Radio Operator) allegedly had a lifespan of roughly ten minutes in a combat zone, according to the experts. That shit me up more than the actual combat bit to be honest.
Should have joined the twenty minuters, blackrat(adder)! You would have seen twice as much.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Miscellaneous 0
higthepig The Quarterdeck 12
Jenny_Dabber Bases / Shore Est 48