Times: "UK Military creaking under strain, report says"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Feb 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Should make interesting reading in Buenos Aries especially with the new pipelines installed across the Straits of Magellan, oil exploration north of Bennie Land just about to kick-off and the Malvinas Basin up for grabs.

RM

2. Test run for the Astute boats? :D

3. Bergen. That is, indeed, a fair observation. This could easily end in bloody tears in around 5 years time; particularly if popular fashion gives us wall to wall brown jobs and bugger all sea and air reach.

There again, the finer points of the Lisbon Treaty might take the decisions out of our hands anyway.

4. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Bergen - fair point, but have you had a look at what the Argentineans can really field recently? I'm relatively sanguine about the south atlantic at the moment, although that could change quickly.

5. We have a single landlocked conflict that wasn't in Britain's long term strategic interest to become involved in.

We are now involved in it and cannot extract ourselves without losing credibility.

This conflict has coincided with the United Kingdom's effective bankruptcy.

The conflict was visited upon us by the same politicians who were responsible for the economic crash and both events are to a large extent intertwined.

The conflict is now driving an unbalanced defence policy and posture to the detriment of our real long-term interests, obligations and responsibilities.

RM

6. And in related news, I heard that Gordon Brown was being offered life Presidency of Argentina and as much Corned Beef as he could eat when he hands over to the Tories at the General Election ... though I MAY have misheard SOME of that.

7. You can say that again! Corned beef? Where do you get your information, it's square sausage you idiot :roll:

8. Give it to us straight, Bergen.... we're fcuked !

9. Somewhere in the Hindu Kush sits an old man laughing.

RM

10. Apologies, and thank you for confirming the other, incidental, bits of the conversation. :wink: