Times: RN flotilla withdrawn weeks before Haiti to cut costs

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Jan 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Yes there was no vessel, but given the choice between gapping APT(N) or losing hulls permanently, I know which I would have done.

Also, given the speed at which the US got something done, and the likelihood that any RN presence would have been hugely limited and overwhelmed, I dont really see this as an issue in the slightest. Its a reality of the cash strapped world of Defence now.
  2. Re: Times: RN flotilla withdrawn weeks before Haiti to cut c

Is it not more likely, given that Iron Duke had been deployed since May, that rather than being withdrawn, it was in fact just sticking to schedule.

The more relevant piece of information would be what RN/RFA assets were due to be deployed next and when.
  3. Re: Times: RN flotilla withdrawn weeks before Haiti to cut c

As the article indicates, nothing until May/June. Misleadingly, the RN website's Global Operations page still shows Iron Duke as fulfilling the APT(N) commitment in the Caribbean even though she's back alongside in Pompey. One presumes that any repetition of past incidents such as military coups in Grenada, volcano eruptions in Montserrat, storm damage in the British Virgin Islands, insurgency in the Turks & Caicos and drug-running around Trinidad & Tobago will have the courtesy to wait until the next ship arrives on station or provides at least 21 days warning (14 days notice to deploy plus 7 days transit).
  4. Oh my god, Britain no longer police's the world. Shock, horror.

So what? We no longer have an empire. Thus we no longer have a responsibility to the rest of the world. If people wish to donate and help other countries around the world they have ever right to do so. But to my mind, charity begins at home. how many of you would see your children go without minor medication (cream for a skin rash etc) in order to send money to save a life in another country? BE HONEST. So why should we provide tax payers money to do the same. If we can help the third world countries then all well and good. And in the past I have given up leave to help a school in foreign climes, but it should be a personal choice rather than a government one
  5. Re: Times: RN flotilla withdrawn weeks before Haiti to cut c

Not wishing to p**s on anyone’s chips but the RN doesn’t task to “police the Worldâ€. It does task to “police†British Overseas Territories, though. These are the Territories who currently don’t chose to be independent. The local Caribbean ones are the British Virgin Islands, Anguilla, Cayman Islands, Monserrat, Turks & Caicos Islands and Bermuda. We have a duty (a long forgotten British concept) and responsibility to those people, irrespective of the sensitivities of the numerous anti colonialists and pro Europe sycophants.

Leaving aside duty and responsibility, these are places we may well depend upon in the future for their natural and mineral wealth, in a World scrabbling for diminishing natural resources. They are an investment.
  6. POL
    Well said that man, as an aside does the RN not carry out drug interdiction in this region anymore? This used to be a big part of WIGs deployment, have we abdicated that part too.