Times: "Pirates choose wrong target - a French warship"

Discussion in 'International' started by soleil, Oct 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Strange..I would have put money on the pirates :wink:
  2. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

In a sensible world, the minute the pirates fired their guns, the Fr ship would have opened fire in self-defence with everything & killed the lot of them.
  3. i would liketo see them to do it to an israeli ship no contest.israel will just go all out
  4. La Somme is a support ship - ? akin to the RFA (not really sure - correct me if wrong!) - perhaps why they didn't open fire.
  5. Right on one Doc, wrong on another, such is life.

She is the equivalent to an RFA, but the article does state she had a 40mm gun, and missiles. :)
  6. Despite all her relative ifrepower etc one boat still managed to escape, seems they are little better than ours in coping with these pirate. They at least had the excuse of self defence.
  7. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

At least they caught one boat of pirates. At the moment it seems that the RN would turn tail as soon as comining under fire as they would not want to capture anyone. Maybe the surrender-monkey epithet has moved from La Belle France to Britain (noting that the RN are acting under government orders).

No doubt there will be some 'robust' responses from RRs, but if so please back up your argument (if you have one).
  8. Like these examples, maybe?

Royal Navy (HMS Cumberland) in firefight with Somali pirates
    Royal Navy frigate, HMS Portland disarms suspected pirate skiffs
    Coalition Warship (HMS Campbeltown) Thwarts Pirate Attack in Arabian Sea
    RFA Wave Knight Disrupts Pirate Attacks
    Canadian and British Ships Foil Pirate Attack
  9. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Ageing gracefully displays his ignorance of (1) that the RoE are not set by the RN and (2) the risks, in many cases, to hostages - who would in efefct be 'human shields' - of peremptory action. Perhaps he would prefer 'Hostages shot dead by RN' on the front of his daily newspaper.
  10. The one boat they caught surrendered with no shots fired according to the report I saw, so little warlike display by the Froggies here. It would seem they are as hamstrung as our guys by the polititians.
  11. Davies said NATO had no procedure to follow when capturing pirates, who typically had their weapons seized, were given provisions and were then released.

Many are starving in the world pirates are given "provisions". The way forward for the starving is become a pirate!!
  12. [​IMG]

'Yes, sir. Somali pirates - we stopped them, gave them food and water, explained their human rights...then guess what?'
  13. It's the same class of ship that I served two tours on in the RAN.
    HMAS Success, and at one time we had 2 CWIS at the aft end and 3 40/60 guns, as well as several 50cals.