Times: MoD faces questions over why Army majors on generals

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Dec 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Re: Times: MoD faces questions over why Army majors on gener

I hate the Lib Dems so very, very much.

Edited to hope that everyone had a good Christmas

2. Re: Times: MoD faces questions over why Army majors on gener

Personally, I couldn't give a toss how many General Officers there are per amount of soldiers.

I'm more concerned that it seems we have to have 600+ sponging, thieving, lying, corrupt asswipes (no prejudice intended .. ;0 ) sitting in a place leeching taxpayers money, thinking of more ways to leech more from us (even more than the US Senate).

At least, the General Officers have had some sort of job before they ended up behind a desk, more than can be said of the greater majority of MPs sitting in Disneyland.

:)

3. Re: Times: MoD faces questions over why Army majors on gener

Hear hear. Not a fan of Cameron but at least he's saying he'll cull 10% of the pricks, though that'll still leave us with more MPs than there are Congressmen and Senators even though our population is only a fifth of the State's. Still step in the right direction.

4. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Re: Times: MoD faces questions over why Army majors on gener

Don't care particularly how the numbers add up, the rationale is simple: you need these people with their experience and skills, and you quite often need more of them to have the Senior voice in Tri-Service, coalition missions, industry partnerships and political constructs.

The "8 = 1" doesn't work in any way shape and form and just demonstrates a very poor level of research.

5. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

The usual Normanesque populist gibberish. More and more 'management tasks seem to be fathered onto every organisation with every passing year and every passing Act of Parliament - Health and Safety, Disability Discrimination, Equal Opportunities - these are all fine things in their way but to be implemented they have to be MANAGED. Sir Michael Bett's report in 1996 recommended what were in fact all sorts of ADDITIONAL (but often laudable) activities, essentially creating a requirement to bring the Services up to the Civil Service level of bureaucracy. In the military environment in addition there are more and more coalitions, joint ops and soon the EU will require virtually a duplicate staff to NATO. Simplistic numbers games get nobody anywhere. The Chain of Command must be just about a minority activity for senior officers by now.

Mind you there was exactly the same finger pointing going on forty years ago.

6. Re: Times: MoD faces questions over why Army majors on gener

I am the very model of a modern Major-General
    I've information vegetable, animal, and mineral
    I know the kings of England, and I quote the fights historical
    From Marathon to Waterloo, in order categorical

I'm very well acquainted, too, with matters mathematical
    I understand equations, both the simple and quadratical
    About binomial theorem I'm teeming with a lot o' news
    With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse

I'm very good at integral and differential calculus
    I know the scientific names of beings animalculous
    In short, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral