Time

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by higthepig, Nov 9, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I stole this from another site i visit, Watch the video, perhaps it may stir a few heart strings this coming Remeberance day.

www.remembrance-day.ca

2. Interesting.

IMHO, the significance of the 2 minutes silence on Remembrance Day has been lessened by the incessant ad-hoc "silences" we seem to have for any instance of death.

I only stop and observe the November silence. The rest is just so much emotional incontinence.

3. just wanted to say what a lovely video this is.

Loved the bit when the vets marched past, I know i shall be sniffling on Sunday when i watch the rerun of the cenotaph.

Thank you hig x

4. Thanks Hig for sharing this video with us. Moving and poignant. Perhaps the BBC need to broadcast something like this every so often before Rembrance Day at different times of day - including during Schools' Programmes - to get the message across.

5. I think your`e right.

6. We did the 2 mins silence for 7/7 in fareham high street, not a soul moved. It was very special.

7. Glad I wasn't there.

Did we stop for a "silence" evrytime someone (Civ & Mil) got blown up and shot thanks to the NI terrorists?

8. Clouseau, i think you miss the point of the video, it was called a pittance of time, you probably dont stand still when a funeral passes by, it was made to make the point, that of people who dont respect the two minutes silence of Rememberance Day. If you cant understand that, then its very sad.

9. Loved the video & the song , very moving , & agree with Rosie the Vets marching past was very special , cheers Higs , 8)

10. Nice one Higs. I am probably one of the few who will always stop when a funeral cortage goes past and tip my forhead in salute.

I think you are missing the point totally Closeau, death is emotional and that is the whole point. What is wrong with showing respect to someone who has passed away?

11. The Poppy

Arriving at the village church
    And thinking I was late
    I realised I had 2 hours
    So I sat down to wait.
    A hot and sunny afternoon
    I simmered in the heat
    Then a young lad appeared
    And sat down on the seat.

I saw a tear come to his eye
    and asked who was it for
    He said it’s for my comrades
    Who died while making war.
    He said he’d brought himself back home
    The coffin he had borne
    And asked me if I’d join him
    When he went inside to morn

Of course I would be glad to
    was my instant reply
    And when the hearse at last arrived
    We took ourselves inside.
    Quietly the vicar stood
    His head bowed down in prayer
    And it was then I realised
    That there was just me there.

The vicar then began
    to tell me Billy’s story
    It seemed he joined the Navy young
    In search of fame and glory
    But very soon he found himself
    Away across the sea
    As a gunner with the Merchant fleet
    And none as fine as he

Because he served on many ships
    In different zones of war
    He soon got many medals
    And all with pride he wore
    Dunquirke saw his finest hour
    He gave it all he’d got
    You couldn’t touch his gun all day
    The barrels were so hot.

Then in the North Atlantic
    One dark and stormy night
    Hi s ship took 2 torpedoes
    from a Uboat out of sight
    Adrift in the ships lifeboat
    The RN came to save
    our Billy and his shipmates
    From a watery grave

Safe aboard the frigate
    And suffering from shock
    He slipped in and out of consciousness.
    they thought he’d had his lot
    And then when he did come round
    And sat up in the bed
    The doc he had to tell him
    That he’d lost both his legs

Billy wasn’t bitter
    And never lost his nerve
    Soon he learnt to walk again
    And then returned to serve
    Off he went to sea again
    And joining in the fight
    Was wounded off the Brittany coast.
    But this time lost his sight.

…

So now as Billy’s laid to rest
    his coffin is adorned
    with one red poppy laid on top
    a hero sadly mourned
    And though a tear came to my eyes
    I could still plainly see,
    what Billy did for his country
    and what Billy did for me.

……….
    Source me.

12. that is truely lovely. It is always worth remembering at this time of the year especially that when a merchie went down, the pay for the seaman was stopped on that day.

Another injustice ...

13. A very poignant poem Uncle Albert and very nice to see you back with us. And Rosie, you're so right, a great injustice, that and the fact that the MN has never received the official or public recognition it deserves. After all, it lost more men than the RN.

14. I'm not sure Clouseau is missing the point; I think we are failing to grasp his. Remembrance Day is a national expression of respect and gratitude to those who have made the conscious effort to make a stand against our Country's adversaries and, for their trouble, lost their life. This is unique and should not be equated to every act of violence that has taken peoples' lives. He's right. We never had a National silence to commemorate every scalp that Paddy took in NI, Manchester, Birmingham, Warrington etc.

I do think that we are diluting the significance Remembrance Day by the recent trend towards wearing our hearts on our sleeves. I was astounded by the spectacle of Diana, Princess of Wales' funeral. People clapping and throwing flowers as the hearse passed by. Are conventions and traditions for such events not taught these days? Do what you feel like or whatever the, no doubt, enlightened foreigners do? Witness the growing number of flower piles at accident spots or scenes of Crime. It will be permanent Shrines next!

By all means, pay silent respect to a passing funeral and observe the common human decency. The same is true for a particular atrocity or particularly horrific accident, at the place it happened and amongst the people who actually suffered loss. The JUL 05 bombs in London were horrific and sad but we shouldn't expect, say, Newcastle to come to a stop on its anniversary. Parliament and the Media agonise for what seems like weeks every year over what is "Britishness". Well part of it is simple; remember and grieve loss or sacrifice in a structured and disciplined manner and not inflict new age or foreign sensitivities on all and sundry.

15. Sometimes i wish i hadnt started this thread, It was a Pittance of time, it was about people not respecting the two minutes silence for REMEMBERANCE DAY, no other deaths or services are mentioned.

16. Good one HTP,

I, also unashamedly, forwarded it on.

Thanks
    :)

17. Sorry; I had to get home to play it on a real computer. Now I know what the original Post was about, please disregard previous rant (still meant what I wrote, though).

P o L

18. Higs all I can say is brilliant thanks mate.