Time to mourn ...

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Levers_Aligned, Feb 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

Gentlemen, Ladies. Ready your armbands and bow your heads, solemnly.

The very last Clanky Artificer Class passes out of Sultan this morning. Gone are the days of 22 year old, spotty faced Cheifs who are as green as dadoe. Gone is the smell of sudji and screaming metal being tortued in the lathe. Gone are the days of idle banter in the mess about moduli of elasticity and the value of a good jar of Courage CSB. No more will you see skilfully crafted trophy cabinets, shell-base ashtrays and other niceties forged from Admiralty Brass. We will never be treat to obstuse references to Third Angle Projections, the joys of gullible third classers and their ability to believe anything Killick Stokers say and piles and piles of decrepit Sultan dockets clogging up the gulch.

We are in a new era now. Bye bye Tubal Cain's children. Thank you, and good luck.

levers

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Wonder if the long-term prognosis is that we will see their likes again?

I give it four years. :wink:

3. Well, another little piece of the mob dies. I was on the staff at Fisgard squadron when we took through the last 10 week tiff course, before they moved down to 7 and lost all the leadership and maths/physics classes like everyone else.

Boxed up the museum and took it all over to Spickernell to sit in a shed (ironically, a bit of a homecoming for it). Also, emptied all the labs and gave all the kit to the Guzz Dockyard Assessor for disposal.

I was a dabber, but it was obvious at the time that the tiffs were being royally shafted...

4. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

Nah. 'Progression' has seen that the Tiffy will never return. We are in a new world of Reliability Centred Maintenance, Lean procedures, training reviews, Smart Management and loads of other measures to cut costs and streamline our operations. PCP was part of that and the ET streams we now give birth to are allegedly fitter, better and smarter. Whilst it would be pre-emptive to either cheer this or boo it, I'd say its better to see what happens than instantly dismiss it as sacrelige. 90% of many old tiffs courses were 'learn it, take exam, forget it', and much of it was indeed extraneous, disposable information which didn't find it's way into the fleet with any great use. We now tune our training toward what is needed, not what is nice to know and whilst we are currently caught in the loop of retraining already trained Cheifs on POET courses (as part of PJT packages, for example) the revolution is slow and steady. In the last twenty years we have faced some challenges which could have been our downfall in many areas, many of them sorted out by good old matelot common sense and not BTEC Nationals in Marine Engineering.

levers

5. Oh how I miss the banter between the B13's and the non B13's in the mess.

6. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

B13????????????

7. All I seem to remember from being at sea was ME tiffs digging out blind to get their taskbooks done and WE tiffs sleeping.

Will they be missed???? Yes I suppose so really. The average ages of the PO's and CPO's messes will shot up now.

I'll have a pint tonight down the pub for them.

SM

:(

8. Something to be said for being a Greenie!!

9. 'Repair by Replacement' has a lot to answer for

The B13 was always trumped by the B4U

10. I always said that a CPO mechanician was far superior to a CPO Tiff, until the Tiff had done about five years in the rate.
    The RN in its wisdom then combined the Tiffs and Mechanicians, this was wrong.
    Now the RN are turning out engineering technicians, having read how the system works, there is no way that the new boys will have the high level of skills that their predecessors possessed.
    R.I.P. the real Naval Engineers.

Oh and I ws a mechanic, never did reach the heights of mechanician :p

11. Non Tiffs were informed of advancement (promotion) on form B13. This was always a subject of banter in the mess as Tiffs had the "right of passage" to make it to CPO whilst others didn't.

12. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

EASY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. :salute:

14. Yes we move to foundation degrees taking many many years ( and being selected) for technicians as the civilian world realises it did not work and go back to full time Appenticeships.

How long before we change back I wonder.

Or cynically have we force them to stay in for many years before achieving the qualification, unlike before when they did the course return of service and some left as the real world at sea was not as in Sultan/
    C-wood.

15. In a Fareham pub i n the late 1950's there was an old salts alled Mr Johnson (never anything but Mr) who claimed he was in the first artificer entry in 1903. The best time of his life was spent in China gunboats as a CERA;occasionaly he was joined by an old chap who had been a Stoker on the Yangtse station. To hear the bicker was entertaining "Listen lad etc ".

My uncle was a n EA joining the late 1930's, his training was very practically based and the academic syllabus far in advance of that deemed necessary later. He told me that the "skill of hand" was never used. Subsequently he rose to Board level in ICI.

I also followed the tiff route as a Waffoo Greenie as a CEA (Air), subsequent employment in the aircraft instrument industry took me all over eg Compass swing in Iran. Never regretted my choice of career.

It seems a shame that the "Tiff" is disappearing after such a long time on the stage