Time spent deployed - Pilot / Observer

Hi Guys and Gals

How much time does somebody in a pilot or observer role spent deployed at sea? I read in a previous thread titled "time at sea" that aviation branches tend to spend less time at sea in comparison to some other roles, is this accurate?

I'll add that being at sea is a factor that I am most excited about and one of the reasons I chose Navy over the RAF!

Cheers

Aviation roles from rating to officer are part of the fleet air arm, a branch of the navy.

They'll rotate round on ships to spread the workload across the various aircraft. Each individual pilot, observer or aircrewman will have varying lengths of sea time, but they will pale in comparison to other branches, particularly warfare and marine engineering.

Although observers can also get other sea going drafts as they get promoted, I had an XO that was an observer.

Aviation roles from rating to officer are part of the fleet air arm, a branch of the navy.

They'll rotate round on ships to spread the workload across the various aircraft. Each individual pilot, observer or aircrewman will have varying lengths of sea time, but they will pale in comparison to other branches, particularly warfare and marine engineering.

Although observers can also get other sea going drafts as they get promoted, I had an XO that was an observer.
We had a Senior Observer (Lt Cdr) on 899 for a while, he didn't get many flying hours in :) He had just spent 5 years at Cambridge Uni (all paid for), I think he left after 899.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
rosinacarley The Gash Barge 37
slim The Quarterdeck 8
T Submariners 12