Time Scales?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by mraidanpreston, Nov 30, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have recently sent away my application and received the response

"Thanks for applying to join the Royal Navy. We’ve checked your basic eligibility and are now forwarding your details to your nearest Armed Forces Careers Office (AFCO) in,"

I know this is completely basic steps, but I am just wondering for things like school, exams leaving dates next summer. (I like to plan things :))

Also how long does it take usually to get the recruitment test and to then therefore get the medical?

Any help would be grand!

~Aidan

2. First advice......

Change your forum name - you should not be openly discussing HM Forces using what, I assume, is your real name.

Once you have done that a bloke called Jarrod will be along explaining, in great detail, about the search function. Don't worry, it's his favourite topic, and he can chat about it at great length.

BH

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Once your application is "handed-off" to your nearest AFCO, they will email you a call-in letter to sit the test- usually within a couple of weeks. If the email is not received within a week - check your junkmail/spam email folder first, then contact your local AFCO (link below).

Most AFCOs block-book tests on set days at set times, rather than arrange bespoke tests on an individual basis however if the date clashes with educational commitments all you need do is email your AFCO to re-book.

It is entirely possible to arrange selection elements around the educational time-table, with a bit of forethought. Selection can easily be completed from test to PJFT within a couple of months assuming there are no delays at medical and you take & pass the PJFT straight after passing the medical rather than faffing another 4 weeks.

Entry dates are allocated about 6 months in advance & you can simply declare yourself unavailable until after you have completed your examinations/had your hols/buried your pet gerbil, etc.

Good luck.

4. Just thought I would write an update on this.

I passed my RT about 2 weeks ago! Extremely hard and demanding under time. Luckily passed my maths on the pass mark, so have to SWOT up on that for the aptitude test.

Got my interview this tuesday! (6th Jan 2015) & then medical on the 29th january!

Just wondering if there is anyone here who have gone down the route of aircrew etc, and can tell me a few things?!

First of all how long is it usually between medical+fitness test to the actual aptitude test! I am wondering this for mainly leaving school and my times within the year? As my recruit process has been fairly quick so far ( a lot quicker than I expected) However I believe the aptitude test to be at cranwell and could imagine this could take sometime.

(I forgot my second question :! I'll post it below when I remember it hah!)

Any help would be grand! X

@Aidan

5. Ninja_Stoker

PJFT to FATs varies, but I'd guess it should be within about 3 months...were it not for the fact course places are booked for Officer Aircrew before they even pass the medical, PJFT or Sift (!).

Odds are the answer to your second question may well be in this thread, if you haven't given it a perusal already: http://www.navy-net.co.uk/community/threads/aircrewman.74983/

Good luck.

6. AH Yes I remembered my question!

I was going to ask, say for example I fail my flying aptitude test?! Is this the end for me of can I go back and do a job that dosen't involve aptitude test like Communications etc?

~Aidan

7. Hey guys , quick question
    I had a phone call saying about having my recruitment test on the 14th and that they would e-mail me however they have not and its been a month since the call , was wondering if you guys would know if they will email me closer to the time or if i should contact my AFCO?
    Thanks ! :D

8. I remember getting this call saying they were booking me for RT, and I got the email the same day! I think you should pop into your AFCO or just phone them! X

9. Ah okay will do , thank you much appreciated! x

10. Ninja_Stoker

You can switch your application to another ratings branch if you fail FATs or the Initial Aircrew Medical Examination.

11. Ninja_Stoker

X?

Almost as irritating as starting a sentence with "So".:confused:

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. So, there I was in an inverted 4G dive....

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. So is having your full name as user name! Hopefully not your real name aidan

14. I know! I've been trying to change it for ages, but I can't find the part to change my username?

Also I passed my interview! Heres to my medical on the 29th!

15. Well done for passing mate, you need to contact a moderator to change your user name i believe.

16. Finished my medical yesterday, never got the "you've passed" but a 28day peek flow diary due to previous asthma when I was a kid! Bit of a shit setback! But hoping it will be all fine! X

17. Ninja_Stoker

Anyone with any history of asthma will be made Temporarily Medically Unfit (TMU) whilst they undertake a 28 day peak flow diary. At the same time your GP will be sent an asthma questionnaire to complete and return - this is to confirm the individual is 4 years free from prescriptions, signs & symptoms. It is also to confirm the individual was not prescribed steroidal inhalers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  18. Thank you!

This is the answer I have been looking for!!