Time off work to compete

Discussion in 'Sports and Adventure Training' started by Sierra_Hotel, Feb 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sorry if this has been posted before, but cannot find anything on it.
    I was wondering I the RN allows 'time of work' for those competiting representing them in sport. I am intending to join as a pilot, and am already competing in shooting at various levels, and working towards a competative level of gliding. I have read somewhere on the RN careers site that on average a pilot could be on ship for an average of 8 months a year, which suggests that I would not be able to participate in my sports, which is a somewhat offputting idea. I have been told by various army personel, although I do not intend to join the army, that they are allowed time off for this. What is the RN's policy on this?
    Thanks
    Sam

2. For what it's worth, whilst I was serving the normal put down was...

Show me a sportsman and I will show you someone doing HIS job.

So yes, the navy does give time off for you to participate in sport at ALL levels. Enjoy

3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Calm down. 'Soggy Biscuit' and 'Freckles' don't officially count as sports... :oops: :wink:

4. i think it was a misspelling and it should read 8 months in a career that pilots are on board,but im sure if you are good at it the Navy will back you all the way

5. MMA and rugby are tho woop woop!

6. In principle, and subject to the level you're representing at, there is scope to get time for competition. In practice it depends on the sport. Football, hockey and rugby are generally not a problem, other sports can be a bit of a challenge at times.

That said I'd echo the point made by Pinch above.