Time off base

Discussion in 'Bases / Shore Est' started by tac_1985, Sep 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm just in the joinin process at the moment, and I'm wondering how much time you actually can have away from base?

I know that during basic training you cant leave at all, but my AFCO is being alil vague about how much personal time I can actually have after, I suppose his main point is when I get sent on a tour, which is understandably the job, but still, I want more info lol

Any help?

Also how often do ships gernerally go out for? And how regularly?

2. Is it an issue if you have to go away for long periods ?

3. not at all, but I always like to have some information. I know that a general tour on a ship is 6 - 9 months, and they say thats every 2 or 3 years, but I'd like to check that.

I was more wondering if its like a normal job, where u work certain hours (provided your not doing any particular mandate) then you get some time to do as u wish, on or off base

4. Whilst in Phase Two, your leave will initially be restricted for the first two weeks. You will then be subject to normal night leave - you may proceed ashore until 0700hrs (if over 18 years of age), 2359hrs (ir under 18) unless required for work or duty. At the weekend, if you are not required for work or duty then you may be able to go home from secure (completion of work) Friday until Sunday night/Monday morning dependant upon age as above. You are also allowed 'seasonal leave'. Any other leave outside of these boundaries will be between yourself and your line manager and personal circumstances etc.

5. It's nothing like a normal job... it's the armed forces... :roll:

6. so evenings and weekends basically. Thats great to know, cheers :) least you guys have more info than my AFCO lol (or maybe I've just bugged the hell out of him with all my questions!)

7. I come from a forces' family, so its pretty normal for me, I've just got used to the perks of civvi life lol

8. 8O

9. Every 2 - 3 years. I dont think so. My last ship was down the gulf for 6 months last xmas. Lets just say its not very long before they are away again for there next 6 month stint in a warmer climate. They had a fair bit of time at sea inbetween as well.

10. Back to back deployments FTW!

11. Agreed!

12. Least you guys are abit more realistic than the AFCO. Whats FTW BTW? not up on my TLA! :p