Time now for a campaign for Gurkha rights?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by rockape34, Jun 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So a battle has been won and the troops should be justifiably proud of their achievements.

Maybe, now is the time to sit back and reflect about what can be done to further the cause of our Gurkha brethren, who still have to wade through the bureaucracy of our present government, although they have proved loyal to to this country, to be allowed entry.

I would urge you to think about ways in which we could support their cause, no hurry, take a week or two off and relax - then get back to work on the problem.
  2. Edited: because I can!
  3. In answer, SS_super_stoker
    The so called "Indian army" of the time was formed by the East India Company, with the blessing of the sovereign and parliament of the time to protect British assets - so was in theory a private army working for, and as part of ,the British Empire - this was nothing to do with the Army of India, as India was part of the Empire until 1947 when it gained independence, so until that time India had no "national" army of it's own.

The Gurkhas are from Nepal, not India, and are - and have been fiercely independent thoughout their history.

I have seen references in the news to "Indian Gurkhas", but this is a nonsense - it was another fierce people, the sikhs who came from India to whom they refer.

India does not recruit from Nepal, and the Gurkhas do not recruit from India.

I have been to Nepal, and served alongside (but not as a member of) the Gurkhas, whom I found to be an honourable people.

It is a political ploy to mention the Indian Army prior to 1947, in order to make them sound part of a foreign army.

BTW, why are you asking me - don't you know rocks are thick?
  4. We had a success today Rockape! I am so glad because have being petitioning my own MP about it. But let's not forget all of the UK servicemen and women who have been discarded. This is a precedent for the Gurkas. Unfortunately we have no 'exceptional' cases for our own UK personnal??
  5. I would say that a fair system would be something like the French(Ugh, spit, wash mouth out) do with the Legion, once you have served for a specified number of years you could apply for citizenship. This should be made retroactive, if they're good enough to die for us they should be good enough to be our neighbours.
  6. G'day Rock apes.

You are off the mark old son, Originally the Gurkha's fought against the British, and it was later that they crossed over and fought under under out flag, which they have defended as good or in some cases better than the British have done so.

Mentioning the Indian army they too fought under our flag, although the Sikhs especially were treacherous, in Malay and Singapore and many fought with the Japanese against us, I think that there were over forty thousand defected to the Japanese when they started to come though the back door, so actually fought the British in Singapore.

I think that the Gurkha's are a different kettle of fish, they have always since inception did their utmost for the Crown, but the treatment given to their regiment has been appalling,
    it would have been hard to amalgamate them into another regiment, but I thought that one of the Commonwealth countries would have snapped them up, perhaps like some Scottish regiments, they preferred to be disbanded and keep their history pure, than to join in with some other mob..

As you say though, like the legionaries the Gurkha's should have the choice to live in Britain when they finish their service, to the Crown and Country We had a go at saving the Plymouth why not have a campaign to save the Gurkha's right to be British if the want to, We take every other bugg** why not some race who has lain down many lives for their adopted flag.

I'd sign straight away.

I did receive a letter back from the MOD, about the scheme to save the Plymouth, and it looked very heartening, keep the fingers crossed.

Pingbosun :rambo: :rambo: :rambo: :rambo: :rambo: :rambo:
  7. ^_^; Totally agree with aforementioned statements, the Ghurka's are a fine upstanding loyal group of people who deserve to be looked after by Government, its shameful that they are treated as 2nd class citizens when we seem to allow all kinds of pond life to settle in these Islands of ours. My first recollection of the Ghurka's when as a boy in Plymouth, riding the bus into town past Plumber Barracks at Crown Hill, the bus filled up with very smart looking, extremely polite, tough little men from Nepal, not even the booties messed with them ! Where do I sign? :dwarf:
  8. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I believe that I am right in saying that when India became independant some Gurka Regiments were transferred to Indian Army control.
  9. aren't we forgetting Alizee NZB ???
  10. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

You must have missed the vote g_b, She's been made an honourary Englishwoman :thanks: :thanks: :thumright:
  11. I was a badger (flight deck stoker) on the Albion during the Borneo confrontation and we used to send the Ghurkhas off ten at a time on patrol …..give a Ghurkha a jungle a helicopter an enemy and a gun and you will see a fighting force second to none……they collected ears and put them on string to wave at us (along with a big smile) when they got off the choppers…….of course this was frowned on and they were told …no more ears… and we never saw no more …..funny thing though I did remember seeing a few bloodstained pockets.
    Their favourite part was ship was the dinning room and their favourite trick was to get sausage, egg and chips, then put the ice cream on top….later they had their own catering section with Indian food….
    It always saddened me when we retuned to Singapore after a trooping run…to see a reception waiting with full bootneck band and dignitaries and family’s perhaps a couple of hundred in all…..Then pushed away in the corner on the far right hand a lone piper and perhaps half a dozen to welcome the little buggers back….

Seems nothing has changed and they are still treated (by those who don’t know them) as an embarrassment……for me they have my utmost respect and always will…

12. Ping bosun, Its rather harsh of you to single out the Sikhs as 'trecherous'. Many Indians fought for the Japanese under the control of Bose, they also formed labour battalions for Hitler as did many British facist brown shirts. The Sikhs fought loyally for the British during the Indian Mutiny. After Singapore fell to the Japs many Indian troops (Sikhs) among them, were offered the chance to join the Jap Army or rot alongside their British comrades. Only a few decided to join the Japs and soon found themselves used as a proganda tool. Distrusted by the Japs many were sent off into the jungle with no food or ammo and they either starved to death or died of disease.
    Remember Britain had been very hard on the Sikhs. The massacre of hundreds of unarmed protesters in Galhalibad wasn't one of Britain's finest moments was it.
    The Indian Army was the largest voluntary army in both world wars, (voluntary). There were more of them on the battlefield than us! I think you will find that the Sikh Rifles were the last Regiment to surrender at the fall of Singapore. The Gurkhas call the Sikhs (Sidharji's) and value them as worthy honourable soldiers. Also a lot of the 'Trecherous' Sikhs as you call them were not of the Warrior Caste, most were educated, lefty communists. We have those in our country too! Its the same as Irish some fought valliantly for us, some did nothing, some put bombs in busy British cities and killed civilians. Are the Irish therefore treacherous? I don't think so, its just politics.

13. Yes I know they fought (fiercely, against up to 200 years ago) and agree with your point - I was making a point in answer to answer the previous posting (now deleted)which suggested that the Gurkhas were part of the Indian army (belonging to India) as opposed to being assimilated into the Indian Army set up originally by the East India Company to protect British assets in India.
    In is a common misconception (I know - big word for a rock) that because it was called the indian Army, it was the united India, however as India was not United until they gained independence this is patently untrue.
  14. What about Monty's favourite the 8th Indian Division?
  15. Recruit shortage in the Oz defence forces . Could do no better than form an Australian Ghurka Regiment with their families as good citizens. Ideal compared to some coming into the country . Psssst! can someone tell 'em to give it a go .
  16. Rocks, I deleted my post because at the end of the day I agree with any campaign to achieve parity, andmy post just looked too negative.

I wasn't asking anything about the pre-1947 Indian Army, like Janner says, I understand the INDIAN Army DOES still recruit from Nepal. That is where I believe the unfairness would continue, as I am led to beleive the recruits did not have the choice between which Army they served in.

But then why should everyone dip out? Which is why I deleted my post :thumright:
  17. Any chance we can send these guy's in so they can finish the job like they did ohhh a few centuries ago...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurkha :thumright:

I have a book on the Falklands where it says that the night before the Argentinians surrendered, the Gurkha regiment on the hills overlooking Port Stanley were preparing for the morning battle and when they saw the white flag of surrender they were bitterly disappointed, I would say the occupiers of Port Stanley made a wise decision that morning.. :rambo:
  18. I fully support the suggestion made by BootneckNZ regarding the treatment of Johnny Ghurka on the completion of his service to the Crown. As much as we all tend to detest the French, they at least extend full French citizenship to the men of the Legion Estrange after the first five years service, regardless of what country the legionnaire originally hailed from. They work on the principle of blood not given by, but shed for their Republique and show their national appreciation accordingly. Perhaps we have a lesson to be learnt from our Gallic neighbours.

We have this preconceived idea of British fair play, but at best it is a cruel farce. We are instead obsessed with reserving and providing British citizenship and its benefits for other foreign nationals, the thousands of political or economic refugees who have contributed absolutely nothing to our nation either in peacetime or war. It's high time our government of slack jawed faggots realised who our true friends are; and they can begin by treating the Ghurkas, past and present, with the kind of respect that these loyal and fearless soldiers truly deserve. Give them their citizenship unreservedly and everything else that goes with it.

Diesel Dinosaur
  19. I know what you mean - I was there in 1973, based in at tented camp in Bhairawa.

The Gurkhas at the camp with us gave us to understand that 1st choice was enlist as Brit Gurkha, and if they didn't make the grade go over the border to enlist with the Indian army (where they would have been better off) - this of course well be equated to inter Regt rivalry e.g. I know the Rockapes are the bees-knees, but for some reason the Booties think their quite good too - then there's the Para's , the Underwater Parachute Squadron (UPS), Engineers, Pioneers ...the list goes on ... ;-)

The difference is that Indians seem to have a right to come to the UK where until recently, the Gurkhas didn't.
    I don't know the situation about Nepalese serving in the Indian Army, I thought that they received Indian citizenship (dangerous presumtion) and could therefore apply as citizens of the Commonwealth. :blush:

... apologies for the misunderstanding. :slow:
  20. No snags matey, like I say, I read my post and realised I was looking negative on something I support - thought I had deleted it before anyone replied.

Although I would insist on them leaving the kurki / khickri / curaso - oh them big bendy knife things at home though!