Time commitment

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by REWARN, Feb 2, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

Apologies if this had been covered before...

I am seriously considering joining the RNR. I have looked at the RN website and a lot of the posts on here but have a question regarding the time commitment.

I work shift so want to make sure I will be able to fulfill the required time commitment before I end up wasting everyones time. I am quite happy with the training night every week and will be able to attend that without a problem.

However everything I have read talks about training weekends but I can't find anything that pins down how many I would have to attend - it just says "several" or "a number of"

Is there a set number each month/year (i.e 1 weekend every month or 10 weekends a year etc)? Do you pick which ones to go on or do you have to attend them all?

Thanks for your help!!! :thanks:
    Rewarn

2. The numerical answer is 24 days a years, of which on the order of 12 will be a continuous block and the remainder made up of weekends and evenings.

This is really an answer of two parts; upon joining, you'll need to put in a lot of consecutive evenings to cover the pre-Raleigh basics, and possibly some new entry weekends as well. When ready, you'd be off to Raleigh for a fortnight. These courses happy a few times a year for the RNR, and if you couldn't do the one you were ready for first, you'd be hanging around for a while waiting for the next one.

However, once in branch it changes; some branches get most of their training done on weekends and courses and exercises, so it becomes less important to be in unit every week. Depending on what you're down to do next in your training, you might be tied to a course that happens only a couple of times (or even just once) a year, so if you miss it, it's a whole year to wait. If you're at the stage of needing to go on exercise, there may be a half-dozen exercises each year that your branch contributes to, so the chances of being able to fit one in with the rest of your life are very good.

Ultimately, we've all got day jobs too and it's recognised that sometimes you just can't make it; it becomes clear quickly how dedicated you are, and so long as you're not crying off just because you don't fancy it that weekend, everyone tends to be quite adult about it.

Depending on how busy your branch is and how well organised, you could know a year ahead exactly what you're doing. Many branches allocate people to courses and exercises a year ahead. Some branches have a big annual ex. that you really should go on. There's a great deal of variety.

Your best bet really is to go to a recruitment evening and chat to some of the old hands there about this sort of thing, and the chaps only a year or so in. You'll soon get a feel for it. Be aware, if you join now, expect to be mobilised. It's not guaranteed, but it's a very solid possibility.

3. Go for it. It is much easier to decide that the commitment is too much after you have been to the unit and spoken to the guys n girls, than forever wish or wonder what "might have been".
    Good luck