Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time away from family's

WhiteRose

Lantern Swinger
Getting married is more difficult in the forces?

Really? Rubbish! You can be married and still have a good time (why have take aways when you can have steak at home?).

Anyway, back to milladdo who asked the original question. I was a little sibling left behind when big bro joined up. After being miffed at first, I told all my mates at school and all of a sudden I was the popular one (especially when it all kicked off in the Falklands and he was there. Oh, that ages me). So don't worry, we all grow up.

Meantime, I will never forget getting our first colour telly from Radio Rentals. Happy days watching Gus Honeybun in colour for the first time.

cadetsmum

Lantern Swinger
To be honest, for me as a Mum, I have - since he was knee high to a grasshopper - had only two requirements of any career that Junior want to follow a) he was happy doing it and b) it was legal.

I fully support Junior's choice of career and fully expect not to see much of him when he joins up - which will be doubly hard as he is an only child - but there is no way would I stop him.

(mind you I told him I wanted at least 10 minutes of his 20 mins satallite call a week!)

Op, it may be that your parents need to adjust to the idea of you not being there - but I'm sure they will come around and be very proud of you

tiddlyoggy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
cadetsmum said:
I fully support Junior's choice of career and fully expect not to see much of him when he joins up - which will be doubly hard as he is an only child - but there is no way would I stop him.

I empathise you CM. My boy is an only child, but sadly is set on the army, which I am wholly opposed to. I pray he'll be talked round into RN or RAF.

Jen_M

Badgeman
I think close families do find it hard when someone joins up. My mum will worry like mad I know, but I shall aim to make her proud too. As for my little sis, I hope she is proud too and though I'll miss her, she wll be so busy at school with her new friends she'll be fine! And it'll make it all the more worthwhile and special when I come home on leave. I think mym mum and dad are less than supportive simply because they are worried about my safety, and the fact they think I am selling myself short academically. But...not much point being in a job who don't like...so I'm joining!

Jimmy_Green

War Hero
Jen_M said:
...they were hoping I would continue in education and get a masters degree or become a teacher.

Any thoughts...

Going by the title of this thread "Time away from family's" and presuming you mean the plural of 'family', I hope to fcuk you're not going to become a teacher.

Jen_M

Badgeman
I wondered how long it would take for someone to pick up that!! A long time actually! Yes, my mistake - though I didn't know how to edit it

trelawney126

War Hero
tiddlyoggy said:
cadetsmum said:

I empathise you CM. My boy is an only child, but sadly is set on the army, which I am wholly opposed to. I pray he'll be talked round into RN or RAF.

Just tell him he won't be able to get an Ivor Dewneys if he's stationed at Aldershot .:wink:

Rumrat

War Hero
trelawney126 said:
tiddlyoggy said:
cadetsmum said:

Just tell him he won't be able to get an Ivor Dewneys if he's stationed at Aldershot .:wink:

Neither will you ops there Ivor DewDneys IIRC:twisted: :D 8O

Edited to say please don't shout we ain't married.

But then again................... :wink:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Dominic Raab urges world not to “turn away from Rohingya’s suffering” as the UK pledges life-saving support MoD News 1
H Deployment Regularity and Time Away RFA 5
MoD_RSS SLC urges students entering Clearing to apply for finance right away MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Environment Agency warning to keep away from Dowdeswell reservoir MoD News 0
C Spouse community, especially when away Nearest & Dearest 5
MoD_RSS Funding boost to steer more women away from crime MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The one that didn’t get away MoD News 0
soleil i News: "'You’re Only Ever 15 minutes Away From Launching A Missile': What It Was Like To Be A Cold War Submariner" Submariners 27
MoD_RSS Exeter fish pass extended 7m after weir washes away MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Mars rover gets work-out controlled from more than 6,000 miles away MoD News 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp The last surviving REAL Great Escape Survivor finally passes away History 0
MoD_RSS News story: Desert test drive for Mars rover controlled from 1,000 miles away MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Scientists move away from the keyboard to beat cyber attackers at their own game MoD News 0
K Time spent away from home? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
W Looking to Join RNR but nearest establishment is rather far away Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 4
M Life away from the sea, life on the sea RFA 13
Blackrat How to kill Tourists & get away with it. Diamond Lil's 41
B That time the yanks dropped three greased pigs on a aircraft carrier and flew away. Diamond Lil's 0
G Daily Mail caught lying again. How long can they get away with it? Current Affairs 31
E Baby due whilst partner will be away Nearest & Dearest 6
u04elw2 How Much Time Spent Away From Home? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
BillyNoMates Get yourself a real take-away. The Quarterdeck 0
M away from home The Quarterdeck 10
S You can take a sailor away from the Navy, but you can't take the Navy out of a sailor Current Affairs 10
L How often are you away with the RNR? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 9
soleil West Briton: "Navy Pilot Speaks Of French Fisherman "Swept Away Into Blackness" The Fleet Air Arm 2
scouse That's one way of stowing the chopper away The Fleet Air Arm 21
Andy_Cap Father-in law passed away Nearest & Dearest 2
OMM Giving away a book. The Corps 7
trelawney126 Mail: "RN Reveals Radar That Can Spot A Tennis Ball-Size Object From 15 Miles Away!" The Fleet 16
O Father passed away - will Mum still get pension? Finance & Pensions 19
F Italian take away ? Current Affairs 6
rod-gearing another icon passes away Diamond Lil's 43
SONAR-BENDER A BJ a day keeps the sickness away.......... Diamond Lil's 37
Bad CO Xmas Give Away - Win a £50 Amazon Gift Voucher Competitions 15
Magda Yorkshire Airlines - Ay up And Away Miscellaneous 2
witsend It's a pure dead give-away that you're scottish if :- Miscellaneous 64
BFRS Military Job Fair - Tidworth Less than 2 weeks away The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
soleil Shields Gazette: "Aircraft Carrier Section Set To Sail Away" The Fleet 0
stan_the_man The day they took my dad away Diamond Lil's 4
T Judt Yapping away Miscellaneous 0
moshe7158 OLD RN BOXERS DONT FADE AWAY THEY MOVE TO AUSTRALIA Sports and Adventure Training 1
stan_the_man To those away at Chrimbo Diamond Lil's 6
Chaz Leslie Neisen aka Frank Drebin passes away Current Affairs 10
B JPA Access away from unit. UPO 5
soleil P. News: "MP's Bid To Take Carriers Away Is 'Bound To Fail'" Bases / Shore Est 0
Rumrat Their coming to take it away ah ha. Diamond Lil's 26
dublinclontarf San Antionio class rusting away International 1
jesse What can you get away with on the Karoke? Diamond Lil's 1
Blackrat I'm Away.... Diamond Lil's 15