Tier System at Raleigh

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by kaz105, Jan 20, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi
    Can anyone explain what the 'Tier System' is during training at HMS Raleigh, what level for failing what? and what levels would get them sent home?

Many thanks

2. Thinking about failing already and worried about it? Just work hard and do your very best. The "3 strikes and you're out" is what you are trying to find out about. It can be a very complicated process. Don't worry about it. You will be given every opportunity to pass the course if you are willing and able. If someone is unsuccessful then the "Tear System" normally kicks in but that doesn't work.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks for your reply, I am a parent, my son is doing his training at the moment. He has been put on a 'Tier' not sure how the system works, he has said it is to do with his kit, we are obviously very concerned and worried for him, knowing how desperately he wants to pass. I am just curious as to how the system works and what the likely hood is of him being sent home. The pressure we are feeling at home is palpable and half of the problem is not knowing how the system works.
    Cheers

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As Drakey says, it's three strikes. The Tier Warning system is explained to recruits at the very beginning, it can be complex, but in effect:

Tier 3 is the first level warning and the individual is told what the warning is for and what they must do to reach the required standard. Tier 2 from a more senior Officer and finally a tier 1 from the Officer in Command. If the final warning is not resolved, it's Discharge Unsuitable During Training (DUDT).

5. What stage of training is he at. He has probably had his first warning for a failing with kit. 1st warning = tier 1 etc, up to a maximum of 3.

6. Thanks for your comments, he is just starting week seven, I can only sit at home with my fingers crossed that he corrects the faults, I appreciate your time in replying.
    Cheers

7. OMM

OMM War Hero

It's not a max of 3. Just depends if they like you or not. If you're rubbish at everything you'll pick them up quickly.

Got a few lads in my class on tier 3 warnings and they're still here. You're more likely to get training extended then kicked out.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

8. Thanks OMM, I presume you are there and in the thick of it! If we understood how the system worked then we probably wouldn't panic too much.
    I am sure he will do what is necessary, he wants this more than anything and is a good lad
    Cheers

9. Ninja_Stoker

You may be reading it wrong - if they meet the required standard after a Tier 3 warning, then they don't get kicked out. It's why they have three warnings and three chances. If they fail to meet the standard after three warnings, then they've used-up their chances.

The training teams bend over backwards to give the recruit every possible opportunity to make good their shortfalls and provide the extra tuition, coaching and mentoring required to reach the standard. Training extensions are certainly not a right - it's discretionary if the individuals training report is of a high enough standard. It's not a case of liking or disliking someone although, that's how some choose to interpret it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Thanks Ninja_Stoker, That info is very useful, helps us to understand it a bit more, much obliged
    Cheers

11. Training extensions for failure to reach the standards are very rare as they are given coaching and mentoring in order to address any shorcomings that they have.

12. OMM

OMM War Hero

Had 3 lads training extended last week from my class alone, so not that rare.

Basically if you work hard and don't be a prat then you'll be fine. I'm week 9 and no warnings (other than a failure on foot parade which the whole class received thanks to a few heavy footed classmates).

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

13. It is rare. What were they training extended for. Why are you not concentrating on your own training instead of being on the internet during the working day. I might just be looking over your shoulder.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Ninja_Stoker

As you, nor I know the circumstances surrounding this individual, it would probably be best not to volunteer information which may give a false impression.

Whilst the forum is unofficial, Drakey & I are obligated to offer correct advice rather than raise false hopes or appear unduly negative. If the recruit is over age 18, he/she may not wish to divulge specifics to their parent for good reason.

• Like Like x 1
  15. There was a lad in my class who never put any effort in and lacked the right attitude throughout all of his training. He made it to week 8 despite failing every kit muster first time. He never accepted help from anyone in the class depite all our efforts.My point is, this lad made it to week eight and he was, quite frankly, rubbish. Not everyone finds Raleigh easy and many do struggle. But in my limited experience those that get their heads down and put the effort in succeed in the end. The instructors won't fail anyone - they will fail themselves.

16. Ninja_Stoker

That is spot on.

After a leave period, we often get people who want to wrap, but don't want the ignominy of "opting-out" (quitting) so they create a set of circumstances which means the service discharges them "just because I couldn't iron my kit properly" or some other 'trivial' reason so they can hold their head high and say: "Not my fault, the Navy is completely unreasonable"

17. And just as an aside, having been a Phase 2 Divisional Officer, training warnings in Phase 1 are carried over to Phase 2. It's the Phase 2 DO who can then decide if the warnings should remain, Tier 3 ones always remain extant.

18. Have got the same problem now son just failed week 7 kit muster and is stressing about failing told him all he can do is concentrate on the next few days and make sure he gets the next one right.He has been told he has good pt and everything else is going well but got a stain on his shirt and tried to wash dry and iron in one night but failed muster for wet kit apart from keeping them positive not much else we can do

19. Kid failed commander T rounds two days before passing out . Silly cow , for a damp shirt . That put her on tier 3 warning . I consider it my wife and my fault for not beating her when a child for being a messy cow. She had to go in front of the panel with Commander T and fight to not be kicked out. With the backing of all the training staff she had her training extended 4 weeks and passed out then.

If they really want it they will fight for it it seems and the staff will back them up if they think you have the right stuff. 2 1/2 years later she is still enjoying being in the RN but she is still as her oppos call her "cluster f**k" as she obviously has a grenade in her kit bag which goes off when she unpacks.

20. Shouldn't say this on here but was in the RAF as was my dad so he had plenty of warning think he is more angry with himself which is a good thing will make him put in extra effort