Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thursday War

Spidiver

War Hero
Who is that ace looking attack frogman?

It wasn't 1985, the attack swim was done on the 19th July 1988..( Just checked my dive log)

Last edited:

Pontius

War Hero
The red-headed OOW during the RAS break away did well enough to go on to become 801's fighter controller......and a jolly good one he was too.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I'm sure the MEO's ears got bigger as the film went on.
A cracking set of lugs, if ever there was.

Handy at Portland if you had a main engine failure, you could just ask the MEO to stand on the pointy end and make way by using him as an auxiliary sail.

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Many thanks for that, Scouse. By the 80s and after FI FOST had sharpened up a bit compared to the 60s and one thought that was tough enough. Bit hard for the CO to have his bollocking on national telly! I wonder what happened to him in the ensuing years.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I VERY well remember my first Thursday War.

I was a baby dabber and about [FONT=&quot]17½ at the time. The passage way was full of smoke and shouty people, when the W/T door banged open and someone fell through clutching a gushing stump of his arm. And screaming.[/FONT] Lots of screaming.

So being a well trained baby dabber I yelled 'SAFEGUARD' thinking that was the correct course of action when somebody has had their arm virtually severed...........

The smoke cleared and most of the shouting stopped. Apart from the voices shouting 'What c*** called Safeguard' or similar, I forget now. Suffice to say, being a very well trained baby dabber I also knew when not to 'fess up!

And if that wasn't bad enough, I later on that day/week threw up whilst wearing my gas mask! Happy days!

But I also got to the Black Dog and the Harbour Club..........

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
janner Thursday War - Portland. The Fleet 3
dapperdunn Thursday war. MoD News 3
soleil BBC2 - Thursday, Dec 5th 2013 - 21:00 - The Silent War: Know Your Enemy Submariners 75
soleil Navy News: "Illustrious Finds Thursday’s Child Is Full Of War" The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS First ‘Foodbank Thursday’ success for new response team MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Britain’s flagship Carrier could arrive home as early as next Thursday, Defence... MoD News 7
shinson Interview AET Thursday Joining the Royal Navy 4
JamieDonut87 Got my interview on Thursday... RFA 4
soleil ITV - Ade At Sea - Thursday, 27th March 2014 - 21:30 History 2
soleil BBC2: PQ17: An Arctic Convoy Disaster - Thursday, January 2nd 2014 - 21:00 History 42
soleil BBC1 - Thursday, November 14th 2013 - Question Time - Portsmouth, Guildhall Bases / Shore Est 1
soleil Sky 1 HD - Thursday, November 21st 2013 - "Inside RAF Brize Norton" Bases / Shore Est 8
soleil Channel 5: "Big, Bigger, Biggest" - Thursday, Oct 10th 2013 - 1900 Submariners 3
soleil HMS Raleigh Open Day - Thursday, July 25th 2013 Bases / Shore Est 36
BFRS BFRS Career Event - Oakham - Thursday 31st January The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 1
J Submariner interview this Thursday...HELP! Submariners 2
Naval_Gazer HMS Chiddingfold returns from 3-year Gulf deployment on Thursday The Fleet 4
N got my final interview this comming thursday Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
Good CO Long outage overnight Thursday - Friday am Site Issues 3
soleil HMS Raleigh - Open Day - Thursday 23rd July 2009 Bases / Shore Est 32
soleil Meet the Marines! - RM Museum Event - Thursday 28th May 2009 The Corps 0
golden_rivet Blitz walk - London Thursday 24/05 Social & Reunions 2
golden_rivet run ashore Thursday 22nd March ??? Social & Reunions 11
Good_CO Site down 0900 - 1000 GMT Thursday Site Issues 0
D OSTs/Thursday Wars! The Fleet 20
MoD_RSS Memorial erected at HMP Whitemoor for second world war plane crash victims MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defence secures largest investment since the Cold War MoD News 0
MoD_RSS War on plastic waste stepped up with extension of plastic bag charge MoD News 0
MoD_RSS World leaders pay tribute as nation falls silent to mark 75th anniversary of the end of the Second World War MoD News 0
MoD_RSS World leaders pay tribute as nation falls silent to mark the 75th anniversary of the end of the Second World War MoD News 0
F Looking for information about Grandads pre-war ship service record... Can anyone help? History 13
MoD_RSS Suspension of War Pensions and Armed Forces Compensation Scheme Medical Examinations and Assessments MoD News 0
soleil i News: "'You’re Only Ever 15 minutes Away From Launching A Missile': What It Was Like To Be A Cold War Submariner" Submariners 27
MoD_RSS Guy Weston appointed as Business Trustee of the Imperial War Museum MoD News 0
soleil CornwallLive: "German First World War Shipwreck Appears At Cornwall Beach After Storms" History 3
Stirlin Cold War Kids Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 0
soleil i: "'A Fitting Tribute': Second World War Hero's Uniform Pride Of Place On HMS Prince of Wales" History 2
MoD_RSS HOW A CENTURY OLD SPOON LED TO THE MILITARY BURIAL OF AN ESSEX SOLDIER WHO DIED IN THE GREAT WAR MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Burial of 13 World War One soldiers brings closure to crowdfunded archaeological project MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Bell from American ship destroyed in Second World War going home MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The British War Memorial in Bangkok unveiled at the new location MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Saving future generations from the scourge of war MoD News 0
W Bathythermographs - World War 2 History 2
MoD_RSS News story: Family of World War 1 soldiers attend their relatives' funeral a century after they gave their lives MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Two unknown soldiers given military burial a century after their deaths in the Great War MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Graves of Two Kent Soldiers Identified a Century After Their Deaths in the Great War MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: The grave of Private Frederick Foskett, Lancashire Fusilier, killed during the Great War rededicated a century later MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Two unknown soldiers given military burial a century after their deaths in the Great War MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Can you help trace the family of a missing World War 2 soldier? MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Can you help trace the family of a missing World War 2 soldier? MoD News 0