Through the ice

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by D108, Mar 11, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any of you guys been through the roof?

2. Yes :?:

3. I've heard tails about the noise whats it like

4. The noise varied, slamming doors, screaming babies, loud footsteps. Some very wierd stuff we all got a bit freaked out at times.

5. Its like popping a very big ice cube out an ice tray with a big submarine!

6. Oh well, guess I'll just have to ask the USN types then

7. I wonder how do they navigate a submarine when it’s submerged?
    How can they get a satellite signal when under the ice or even when dived deep?

8. UA

Its all done by touch

Nutty :(

9. D108 I'll answer any question you've got on this topic but I just cant see what your getting at. :?

10. All I want to know is whats it like breaking through the ice?

11. They do proper navigation. Serious tide tables, accurate logs, and a stopwatch.

There is no truth whatsoever to the rumour that the boomers sit on the bottom where they go out of sight for six months, with the crew sneaking off at night to go to the pub.

12. Sorry about the delay in replying mate. We only surfaced briefly but I got to spend 10 mins on the bridge, now at least when my wife says the weathers like the North Pole I can say “nah nothing like itâ€. Winds her up no end, He He. Highlights of the trip include the TS’s ever increasingly complex bottle and bathy tube condensation catchers. A yank Ice Pilot called, gen dit, Randy Ray who exhibited some scary homosexual tendencies. Professor Wadhams who was at least 90 years old and had bad taste in pyjamas, shaking him was scary you never knew if he’d expired in his sleep!