Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts about this action by Greenpeace?

However misguided the antics of these misfits' are they could not be called terrorists, law breakers, yes, but not terrorists.
As for the french operation, that has to go down in histroy as a total over reaction by the french "intelligence" service and only compares in stupidity to the cameraman who instead of doing billy big steps when the fist mine detonated, went down further into the ship for his kit.

I am strongly against Greenpeace and CND, both seem to have a poor grasp of a real world situation and are unable to present a coherant arguement.

Examples being the fact that one of Greenpeace's many gas guzzling boats crashed into an area of coral reef causing much damage to the exceptionally weak ecology. Or that Greenpeace would rather African families starve than eat GM Soya, and have ruined GM Soya on its way to help those in starvation situations before. Well by the most basic of definitions these people have caused terror to innocent civvy sailors trying to earn a living, so by that basic definition they are terrorists.

Or the CND they strongly protest against the Western Democracies having Nuclear Weapons, but its members are usually the first on the plane to be Human Shields for the Dictatorships which want to use them. We all would like to live in a world without Nuclear Weapons, but to not have this vital insurance policy when there are mad-men like those in Tehran trying to acquuire them to me seems madness.

And don't get me started on the Animal Rights extremists, PETA are awful, http://www.petakillsanimals.com/ .

Potential_Officer said:
I am strongly against Greenpeace and CND, both seem to have a poor grasp of a real world situation and are unable to present a coherant arguement.

Examples being the fact that one of Greenpeace's many gas guzzling boats crashed into an area of coral reef causing much damage to the exceptionally weak ecology. Or that Greenpeace would rather African families starve than eat GM Soya, and have ruined GM Soya on its way to help those in starvation situations before. Well by the most basic of definitions these people have caused terror to innocent civvy sailors trying to earn a living, so by that basic definition they are terrorists.

Or the CND they strongly protest against the Western Democracies having Nuclear Weapons, but its members are usually the first on the plane to be Human Shields for the Dictatorships which want to use them. We all would like to live in a world without Nuclear Weapons, but to not have this vital insurance policy when there are mad-men like those in Tehran trying to acquuire them to me seems madness.

And don't get me started on the Animal Rights extremists, PETA are awful, http://www.petakillsanimals.com/ .

Try to read something other than the The Torygraph once in a while :grin:

HarryBosch said:

Well the Guardian is full of left wing rubbish (its readers are the cause of the shocking government we have at the moment!, the Indy could have been good but instead is adamant that we face the end of days a la Global Warming, and the Times is owned by the same Australian, US Pretending Republican that owns the Sun.

All in all, best of a bad bunch! (Can't beat its ruggers coverage on a Monday either mate!)

I noticed in Time Out that Greenpeace are running an open ship on their Arctic Sunrise. Anyone fancy setting up a war camp outside?

ANGWISH

Lantern Swinger
Who are the c**ts them that let them get close to the base or them that exercises their right protest. Both yourself and the majority of posters are having a go at the wrong organization. MOD are the problem not a little boat full people who still think they can save the world, they are your conscious.

Nutty[/quote]

Point of order here Nutty. I am my conscious, not a bunch of treehuggers

Potential_Officer said:
HarryBosch said:

Well the Guardian is full of left wing rubbish (its readers are the cause of the shocking government we have at the moment!, the Indy could have been good but instead is adamant that we face the end of days a la Global Warming, and the Times is owned by the same Australian, US Pretending Republican that owns the Sun.

All in all, best of a bad bunch! (Can't beat its ruggers coverage on a Monday either mate!)

On the other hand if one baes ones opinion on one rag only ones opinion will become permanently skewed and unbalanced, not a good thing.

Try reading more than one and you will get a more balanced view of life and be equally in a better position to argue your corner.

Know thine enemy, essential for the warfighter.

Maxi_77 said:
Potential_Officer said:
HarryBosch said:

On the other hand if one baes ones opinion on one rag only ones opinion will become permanently skewed and unbalanced, not a good thing.

Try reading more than one and you will get a more balanced view of life and be equally in a better position to argue your corner.

Know thine enemy, essential for the warfighter.
Don't need to read a paper to know my enemy.....
She's sat right next to me :lol:

x4nd

Lantern Swinger
phil1972 said:
I noticed in Time Out that Greenpeace are running an open ship on their Arctic Sunrise. Anyone fancy setting up a war camp outside?

I like your thinking. I bet they’d moan that we were infringing their civil liberties though?

:cool:

Potential_Officer said:
I am strongly against Greenpeace and CND, both seem to have a poor grasp of a real world situation and are unable to present a coherent argument.

Examples being the fact that one of Greenpeace's many gas guzzling boats crashed into an area of coral reef causing much damage to the exceptionally weak ecology.

So RN Ships have great record of not hitting things and causing damage to themselves and others. It happen at sea, it should not but it does

Or that Greenpeace would rather African families starve than eat GM Soya, and have ruined GM Soya on its way to help those in starvation situations before.

It is not GM altered food being pushed by large American based Multinational Companies who have no interest in feeding African but getting into the EC by the back door, that will save Africa. It is good governance by themselves not the total corruption fed by the like of USA and Multinational Business

Well by the most basic of definitions these people have caused terror to innocent civvy sailors trying to earn a living, so by that basic definition they are terrorists.

It was French Government Agents who planted a bomb on the Greenpeace Ship in Auckland Harbour with little respect for life or limb of any person on or near the ship. They are the terrorists. It is Japanese Seaman who are hunting whales in contravention of International Agreements trying to claim it is for scientific research and not for commercial sale not Greenpeace. The hunters are the terrorist using your definition.

Or the CND they strongly protest against the Western Democracies having Nuclear Weapons, but its members are usually the first on the plane to be Human Shields for the Dictatorships which want to use them. We all would like to live in a world without Nuclear Weapons, but to not have this vital insurance policy when there are mad-men like those in Tehran trying to acquire them to me seems madness.

I may agree with you if we had an independent nuclear weapon but we are clearly under the control of the USA and under no circumstances either you or I can envisage would we launch a strike without their approval.

And don't get me started on wanner-be-grunters who have views that make Genghis Khan and Attila the Hun look liberal. Thank feck you were never ever an officer on a vessel that I served on. If you make it I pity the men that have to put up with a narrow minded shires Tory attitude. It realy will be forlock country

Nutty

x4nd

Lantern Swinger
Nutty said:
I may agree with you if we had an independent nuclear weapon but we are clearly under the control of the USA and under no circumstances either you or I can envisage would we launch a strike without their approval.
Nutty

Nutty, I don't see why you're so convinced that the UK deterrent isn’t independent. The missile may be built and leased by/from the USA, but that’s it. I don’t wish to argue, but I am curious as to why you’re so convinced the USA exerts control?

x4nd said:
Nutty said:
Nutty

Nutty, I don't see why you're so convinced that the UK deterrent isn’t independent. The missile may be built and leased by/from the USA, but that’s it. I don’t wish to argue, but I am curious as to why you’re so convinced the USA exerts control?

x4end

Can you honestly envisage a set of circumstances where a UK Prime Minister would order either a pre-emptive strike or make a retaliatory strike in a situation in which the USA is not involved without first clearing the matter with them. I have tried and cannot come up with a scenario. If the USA is involved then our contribution is more moral/supportive than effective.

I am not particularly against UK have Nuclear Weapons of any type but only if they were truly independent and IMHO ours are not. Everybody else in the world, with these types of weapons, except us have that independent standing we do not.

Nutty

x4nd

Lantern Swinger
Nutty said:
x4end

Can you honestly envisage a set of circumstances where a UK Prime Minister would order either a pre-emptive strike or make a retaliatory strike in a situation in which the USA is not involved without first clearing the matter with them. I have tried and cannot come up with a scenario. If the USA is involved then our contribution is more moral/supportive than effective.

I am not particularly against UK have Nuclear Weapons of any type but only if they were truly independent and IMHO ours are not. Everybody else in the world, with these types of weapons, except us have that independent standing we do not.

Nutty

Nutty, thanks for the reply but I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. I do see the deterrent as independent and believe if the unthinkable were to happen then we would (if required) use the weapons independently.

Nutty said:
x4nd said:
Nutty said:
Nutty

x4end

Nutty

Whilst I think you are quite right that it is very unlkely that our present PM 'would' order a nuclear strike withour at least consulting the Shrub, the reality still is that he 'could'.

The could bit makes it independant, the fact the present incumbent of No 10 seems to be the Shrubs poodle when it comes to foreign affairs does not change that.

Come to think of it despite their apparent unwillingness to follow the Shrubs lead I suspect that even France would consider US views before popping one off from the Force de Frappe. You really have to get down to the leve of rogue nations like the Israelis before wholly independant use becomes a reality

x4nd

Lantern Swinger
Maxi_77 said:
Whilst I think you are quite right that it is very unlkely that our present PM 'would' order a nuclear strike withour at least consulting the Shrub, the reality still is that he 'could'.

The could bit makes it independant, the fact the present incumbent of No 10 seems to be the Shrubs poodle when it comes to foreign affairs does not change that.

Come to think of it despite their apparent unwillingness to follow the Shrubs lead I suspect that even France would consider US views before popping one off from the Force de Frappe. You really have to get down to the leve of rogue nations like the Israelis before wholly independant use becomes a reality

We have to remember our commitment to NATO, which would make it appear that others control our independent deterrent. NATO isn’t the US.

x4nd said:
Maxi_77 said:

We have to remember our commitment to NATO, which would make it appear that others control our independent deterrent. NATO isn’t the US.

I think the NATO thing is or certainly was when it was done by Harold of the Gannex a voluntary committment which of course could be withdrawn.

Harold of the Gannex did this to reduce opposition from the CND members in his party at the time.

safewalrus

War Hero
To continue with this I see four of the little darlings performed outside the Houses of arlament yesterday! One fell off a crane and broke his leg - the police comment we had to let them happen they were in the public domain on the river!

Nutty said:
Potential_Officer said:
I am strongly against Greenpeace and CND, both seem to have a poor grasp of a real world situation and are unable to present a coherent argument.

Examples being the fact that one of Greenpeace's many gas guzzling boats crashed into an area of coral reef causing much damage to the exceptionally weak ecology.

So RN Ships have great record of not hitting things and causing damage to themselves and others. It happen at sea, it should not but it does No but then again they don't pretend to be fighting for the environment.

Or that Greenpeace would rather African families starve than eat GM Soya, and have ruined GM Soya on its way to help those in starvation situations before.

It is not GM altered food being pushed by large American based Multinational Companies who have no interest in feeding African but getting into the EC by the back door, that will save Africa. It is good governance by themselves not the total corruption fed by the like of USA and Multinational Business Oh right yes, I forgot about that, how about relising that you need to sort out the short term problems of Africe, i.e. starvation, and then the long term problems, i.e. the fact we have ruined their economy. But I'm sure that they would rather we rebuilt their economy first before we stop them from starving eh? That way they will be able to enjoy economic independance!

Well by the most basic of definitions these people have caused terror to innocent civvy sailors trying to earn a living, so by that basic definition they are terrorists.

It was French Government Agents who planted a bomb on the Greenpeace Ship in Auckland Harbour with little respect for life or limb of any person on or near the ship. They are the terrorists. It is Japanese Seaman who are hunting whales in contravention of International Agreements trying to claim it is for scientific research and not for commercial sale not Greenpeace. The hunters are the terrorist using your definition. I never said that what the French did was right don't put words into my mouth! Since when did the hunters cause terror to people?

Or the CND they strongly protest against the Western Democracies having Nuclear Weapons, but its members are usually the first on the plane to be Human Shields for the Dictatorships which want to use them. We all would like to live in a world without Nuclear Weapons, but to not have this vital insurance policy when there are mad-men like those in Tehran trying to acquire them to me seems madness.

I may agree with you if we had an independent nuclear weapon but we are clearly under the control of the USA and under no circumstances either you or I can envisage would we launch a strike without their approval. We could launch independantly of the US, although a fully UK built owned and operated system is ideal.

And don't get me started on wanner-be-grunters who have views that make Genghis Khan and Attila the Hun look liberal. Thank feck you were never ever an officer on a vessel that I served on. If you make it I pity the men that have to put up with a narrow minded shires Tory attitude. It realy will be forlock country Whatever happened to the notion of I may not agree with your beliefs, but I will fight for your right to have them? And do you not find it rather hypocritical that you so strongly attack me for being narrow minded, because I do not agree with your viewpoint?

Nutty

Get off of your holier than thou attitude there, we all have a right to dislike groups, I agree with their right to hold those beliefs, no matter how wrong or ill though out they are, they could go about them in a much better way. Such as that man who is protesting outside the Houses of Parliament against the Iraq War, giving his point peacefully, legally and most of all responsible. (So much so he annoys the PM to the extent he starts legislation to have him banned!)

I do read more than one broadsheet, I was attempting comedy, clearly missing here, my god guys this is a friendly forum where people can put their ideas, don't go violently shooting them down just because you feel all high and mighty.

War Hero
Potential_Officer said:
Such as that man who is protesting outside the Houses of Parliament against the Iraq War, giving his point

You mean Brian Haw?

I was attempting comedy

You failed miserably, although there is a lot of humour in the board, just less so in CA.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Digital Markets: using our existing tools and emerging thoughts on a new regime MoD News 0
Z False suicidal thoughts on GP records? Joining the Royal Navy 1
T Career change. Mechanic to Royal Navy. Thoughts? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
B Thoughts on BTEC or A levels please Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
J Help with Medical and thoughts Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
P Thoughts on the new financial recruitment bonus for Officers? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 23
S Insanity DVD: Thoughts from the Mob? Health & Fitness 17
S WEO vs MEO - thoughts? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
S just a few thoughts from those in the know Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
alexissonice Royal Navy, thoughts and feelings. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 59
S Some final thoughts before Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MaiBelle Happy thoughts... Diamond Lil's 88
B Am I alone in my thoughts.......bring back the SSK....cut the costs!! Submariners 50
SphynxPawww Second thoughts on joining up / Job choice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
janner Thoughts for the day Miscellaneous 0
janner Random thoughts Miscellaneous 0
The_Caretaker Custers last Thoughts Miscellaneous 0
The_Caretaker The French - Assorted Thoughts Miscellaneous 0
golden_rivet THE REAL TRUTH ABOUT TUITION FEES - your thoughts please Current Affairs 197
K640 Second Thoughts Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 43
Q Second Thoughts Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 13
WarfareSpecialistToBe Second thoughts on ws........ Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
JonnoJonno Thoughts of irrational violence Diamond Lil's 71
M The 'Millies' - any thoughts?? The Corps 1
soleil New First Sea Lord's Headmark: his thoughts on the future The Fleet 5
RonJeremy Impure thoughts Diamond Lil's 28
S Valentines Thoughts Diamond Lil's 18
Naval_Gazer Some Thoughts on Recycling The Quarterdeck 21
N Your Thoughts please.... The Fleet 26
B THE THOUGHTS OF JEREMY CLARKSON Diamond Lil's 3
N 10 thoughts for 2007 Diamond Lil's 1
sgtpepperband Profound Thoughts for the Day The Quarterdeck 9
G Let me have your thoughts Submariners 10
W Beasting sessions for Recruits? Your thoughts...... Diamond Lil's 66
D Top Mast - your thoughts please! The Fleet 2
all_purple_now BAFF - Thoughts... Current Affairs 37
MoD_RSS 63 days to go: Readiness webinars prompt businesses to take action for end of transition period MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Action to help prevent vulnerable young people from becoming homeless MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Minister for Equalities sets out government action to tackle Covid disparities MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Instagram to tackle hidden advertising after CMA action MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Updated G20 Action Plan to support the global economy through Covid-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ongoing military action along the line of contact in the Nagorno-Karabakh region: UK statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government to protect small businesses with action on late payments MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Inquiries Review Action Plan MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK and Chile urge countries to take ambitious action on climate change MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM: ‘Climate action cannot be another victim of coronavirus’ MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New action plan to boost judicial diversity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Environment Agency raids Kent waste site in joint day of action MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Action taken to improve resilience of railway following Stonehaven tragedy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New action to prevent the spread of coronavirus in Bolton MoD News 0