Those were the days

huwshpis

War Hero
Somewhere, I’ve got the receipt for my father’s last uniform, bought in 1963 to go to an investiture at Buckingham Palace. Doeskin jacket and trousers, greatcoat and new cap - £73-0-0 including purchase tax.

D

Deleted 108407

huwshpis

War Hero
That film is of the exact investiture that my father attended, although the film focuses on Gerald Nabarro MP picking up his K, my Father, Mother and I are in there somewhere.

D

Deleted 108407

The monetary awards accompanying each Medal are:

(a) Victoria Cross(i) Special Pension of £100 a year.
(ii) An additional 6d. a day (£9 2s. 0d. a year) if in receipt of a Service or disability pension.
(b) Military Cross(i) A gratuity of £20 on appointment to a commission or on discharge without pension
Distinguished Conduct Medal
Distinguished Flying Cross(ii) An additional 6d. a day (£9 2s. 0d. a year) if in receipt of a Service or disability pension.
Conspicuous Gallantry Medal (Flying)
Distinguished Flying Medal(iii) An additional gratuity of £20 is awarded for each bar to the Medal.
(c) Conspicuous Gallantry Medal (Naval)As at (b) above, but applicable only to awards after 2nd September, 1939.
Distinguished Service Medal
Military Medal
(d) Meritorious Service Medal (Royal Navy).An annuity of £10, subject to the total of annuities not exceeding £400, excluding increases payable under the Pensions Increase measures.
(e) Meritorious Service Medal (Army)An annuity of £10, subject to the total of annuities not exceeding £7,500 excluding increases payable under the Pensions Increase measures.
(f) Long and Meritorious Service Annuity (Royal Air Force).An annuity of £10, subject to the total of annuities not exceeding £2,000 excluding increases payable under the Pensions Increase measures.
(g) British Empire MedalNo monetary award.
(h) Long Service and Good Conduct Medal.(i) Royal Navy
A gratuity of £20 on award after 15 years' qualifying service and, on discharge to pension, £1 for each additional year of qualifying service.
(ii) Army and Royal Air Force
A gratuity of £5 on promotion to a commission or on promotion to Warrant Officer Class I (Warrant Officer in the Royal Air Force) or on discharge.

These are the 1963 figures

Jacobus

War Hero
When I went through Dartmouth they banned doeskin 5’s, as they were then. Aside from the fact that they took about 2 years to pay off, and looked immaculate, the decision was taken as most of us ( apart from sons of the landed gentry ) just could not afford them. And therefore the few that had them stood out like dogs bollocks. So, in the interests of uniformity, Gieves and Hawkes’ best barathea it was. Even that took a year or so to pay off. The everyday outfit came from Bernards iirc.
An exception to the doeskin rule was made, of course, for Geoffrey Epstein’s mate. If you get my drift.

huwshpis

War Hero
My first 5’s were my father’s 1963 set converted though I did have to wear the trousers at the full extent of the braces! My barathea set, which has shrunk in the wardrobe when I wasn’t looking, but not beyond hope, came in 1984.

D

Deleted 108407

1621093242541.png
Cracknell was much cheaper than Gieves and his doeskin was "renowned" Whatever that meant.

Latest Threads