This is something that's had me thinking

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by _Tim_, Dec 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What's the relationship between officers and ratings like, for the most part?

Is there a resentment present?
    Are the officers "one of the lads"?
    You get my drift :w00t:

It's not really important, but I was just wondering.
  2. yes mate they are
  3. at times when there is work to be done then they will be on the job but at times when you are on run ashores etc they are one of the lads
  4. In my day!!! (15 -16 years ago), it was a bit of us and them!

I must also add that out of school, most officers I worked with, and I must stress I worked with, tended to be fine.

However, due to the nature of my job I did work very closly with officers. Being a rating aircrewman in a Wasp helicopter and the pilot being the officer we needed to work closly and know instinctively what each other was doing.

Quite similar on larger ASW squadrons the officers tended to have their own facilities away from the ratings. However socially the relationships were fine. Piss ups gallor.

But the great secret was always to remember they were officers and not one of the 'boys'. They have a job to do as we do.
  5. I found that the OC's would dig out with us, good lads n lasses, some of the officers would too but depends if you get a good part of ship officer etc.

Out on the lash, you get some that are one of the lads and some that keep their distance.

But can honestly say, I was never jealous of an orrificer :thumright:
  6. I found it different on each ship. On the bigger ships some would come out on runs ashore mainly if it was a department run ashore.

But on the FPV's it was more of a family and everyone went ashore (stand fast the duty watch)

It was different to the big ships. On board professionalism was still held. The Navi was a school mate of mine and now my boss lol.

He lives not far from me now and works down the road from where I work.
  7. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Entriely dependent upon the individual concerned. Some will mix well others won't. I find nowadays that more do mix. The down side to this is that some of them don't know where to draw the line as to when they should and shouldn't mix with the lads. There are times when they won't want officers around and this is something that young officers often fail to grasp (also some senior rates, but generally, as they've been JR's they tend to find this easier). It's a fine balance and one that you will get a better appreciation of with experience.
  8. Runs ashore.
  9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

In accordance with QRRNs, every officer's primary responsibility is to the Fleet. Regrettably not all of them remember this... :shock: :oops:
  10. And some maybe too much!!!!
  11. How do you know?
  12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Cos he's worked on the doors and knows people in the RMs and Army, innit?! :wink:
  13. You're a know nothing wannabe, shut the feck up you gobby shoite.
    You're getting to be as predictable as Chico, the other site fecktard.
    Comment on what you know about, doormans duties and cocksmoking and you won't go far wrong.
  14. Tim they are fine mate you should get on ok with them, bit like managers in civvie street but ya know how it is!
  15. NZ_B I think you look like this boy with the full hatred for me

16. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

mattbea, so that Tim can fully benefit from your comments perhaps it would be an idea to give him some idea on your length of service in the RN/RM and the branch(s) served in to date.
  17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Spookily enough the relationship between Officers & Ratings is much the same as that between senior & junior Officers & Ratings within the ranks. For the most part it's good for as long as both parts do their jobs as they should.

As with all individuals, from the eye of the beholder- depending from where you behold, there will be good and bad at all levels. Looking up the chain it's often perceived as all bad. Looking back along the chain it's probably diplomatic not to find too much fault because you are responsible for the people who work with you.

There is such a concept of managing your manager & whilst it's easy to find fault with those ranked above you, the obvious answer if you think you can do better, is try to advance yourself. If you have a duff boss who "doesn't know anything", then perhaps you're not managing your boss correctly. Whilst you can't learn experience, you can certainly learn from other's experience.
  18. I think Ninja's last statement puts it in a nutshell. :w00t:
    However occifers vary and the hardest type to handle are those who have served on the lower deck.
    These generally come in two types
    1. They are excellent and remember the crap that they had to put up with and look after their division.
    2. They can be real bastards, normally despising all below them and arse licking all above them.

Fortunately type 1 sd occifer greatly outnumbers type 2. :thumright:
  19. Janner I aint saying too much here but its 4 years, SM branch and a lot of crabbing in this forum on the way (bites, etc.)
  20. :rofl: :thumright: