This day 31st March 1980

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by scouse, Mar 31, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 800 Sqdn Harriers commission at HMS Heron to join HMS Hermes (thro deck in the Photo)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Has April 1st come early this year, Hermes?

3. just for you Chaz Easter Day 82:toothy10:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  4. Super phot!

5. and another

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Great phot again, bit before my time! I remember joining my first ship the Fearless in Mar 84 on FLJ, and the Hermes was in the adjacent basin, not sure if it was being made ready for the Indians or simply in mothballs.

7. HMS Hermes has always made me wonder since I was young about how this government functions. We sell it after just 30 years service to the Indians who have ran it for another 30 years as their 2nd largest ship. We must have made money from the sale and then downsized to the invincible class?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

8. Same scenario different year, the Indian's are now waiting for us to finish the new carriers before taking one to replace the Hermes/Viraat.

9. Logical move for the indians.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

10. Indians already have a replacement for the Viraat, that's not say they won't get themselves a 2nd carrier to put on their east coast.

11. I thought they had pulled out of the contract with the Russian's for both the carrier & the MIG 29s because of the long & ongoing delays.

They are after one of the new QE class as a replacement harrier carrier, they have already gone public & stated that the Viraat will be withdrawn by 2018/20 & they intend to keep the harriers until 2040.

The relationship between India/Russia seems to have cooled off of late & the Indian's seem to be looking to the EU as future suppliers, with all their massive investments within the EU it makes good business sense for them to go down this path.

France is looking to supply them with the Rafale "B" as a cat & trap replacement for whatever carrier they decide to buy be it a new build or a conversion.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  12. Sorry can't 'reply with quote' as I'm on DII at work!I know they've hit snags with it, but as far as I know it's still going ahead, all be it very late. I was following it more closely in my last job but have since moved. It's mad that the Russians and Indians agreed to this in 2004!:INS Vikramaditya: Waiting for Gorshkov…

13. That's your lot folks:toothy8:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  14. O/K the very last :salut:

Attached Files: