This day 14th February

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by scouse, Feb 14, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. image.jpg Ark Royal decommissioned after 24 years service 1979

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  2. Looks to have been taken from Plymouth Hoe, the building on the right is now a restaurant/ bar. Free parking. Carrier probably razor blades, which one was it? Eagle ?

3. It's R08 innit?
    Bulwark?

4. Rummers
    I think its the Ark R09?

5. Cheers mate my computers out of focus, can't be the eyes.:confused4:

6. T'aint the Bulwark, she only had one mast. Ark came in Nov 78 IIRC 'cos we had just come back from 3 months oop North and the bastards wouldn't let us in until the Ark had gone in first, kept us at Charlie buoy overnight!!!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  7. I bet you counted the rivets as well didn't you?
    Go on admit it.

8. Only the one Rummers, it was noticeable as it was a different colour to all the others and was quite shiny. For some reason it also made your eyes water!

• Like Like x 3
  9. Checked "Janes 1975 / 76" Eagle had been disposed of by then. The silhouette is almost definately the Ark Royal but it looks like it's Guz

10. It is the Ark and it is Guzz, as I said, she came in Nov 78 and de-commissioned Feb 79.

11. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I just found out my next door neighbor (across a paddock and up a hill) is an ex navy officer who served on the Ark, he went to the states on her when 42 where embarked (1974 ish?)

12. What commando were you in blobbs?

13. The commando in question will admit to nothing :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. His camouflage was dodgy not many about wearing big pink spots.
    Only when the was trying to blend in whilst in barracks

15. I meant the commando Blobby was "in" (DPM rivet?)

16. I was trying to rise... ah bugger it, it went over my head.

17. R09 I know I am late for the 'party' but..She played a great role in my life. I joined her in 61 and we remained good friends till end of commission in 63.This is
    my first post so be gentle!!!

18. Ark royal commissioned in FEB 55

Attached Files:

19. Good pic Scouse, I did get to go aboard the Ark, when in Malta once with the Vic, a lot of my old joining up class picked the Ark up on their first draft. Amongst the handlers were 'Barney' Pritchard, Trevor 'Bev' Brookes and Dave Buckingham. Good days !!

20. I think this was in Norfolk,VA. Don't know which decade 60s-70s

Ark Royal.jpg