This could cost the MoD

Sumo

War Hero
A friend of ours had to leave due to being pregnant many moons ago, she took an offer but regretted that as one of the ladies took it all the way to court and was awarded a large payout.

Hence this could cost the MoD and arm and a leg, especially how things have changed in the last 20 years re discrimination

slim

War Hero
A friend of ours had to leave due to being pregnant many moons ago, she took an offer but regretted that as one of the ladies took it all the way to court and was awarded a large payout.

Hence this could cost the MoD and arm and a leg, especially how things have changed in the last 20 years re discrimination

Brahn 'Atters and Rug Munchers knew at the time it was against current laws to serve.
Laws in force at the time should stand.
No apologies are needed and no compensation of any kind should be given.
The fact that all are allowed to serve now has no bearing on history

Sumo

War Hero
Brahn 'Atters and Rug Munchers knew at the time it was against current laws to serve.
That was the case with women that became pregnant, they had to leave, but an sort of class action, where most took out of court payments, with at least one who successfully sued the MoD for discrimination and unfair dismissal in court.

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
I have to say that I agree with Slim in that the regulations at the time should only be challenged if there was a breach in application at the time. Retrospectively applying the principles of today on the actions of yesteryear is an extremely slippery slope.

Drakey

War Hero
I thought that those who had been discharged had been compensated. They were also given the opportunity to re-join, and some did.

Sumo

War Hero
I thought that those who had been discharged had been compensated. They were also given the opportunity to re-join, and some did.
There is bound to be some that slipped through that process, and will come out of the wood work with an axe to grind.

Sumo

War Hero
I have to say that I agree with Slim in that the regulations at the time should only be challenged if there was a breach in application at the time. Retrospectively applying the principles of today on the actions of yesteryear is an extremely slippery slope.
I have to agree, that is how the pension has worked, you were given what was in the rules on day of departure. MoD can not call it back if future changes benefit them, as we cannot claim if changes would benefit us?

slim

War Hero
That was the case with women that became pregnant, they had to leave, but an sort of class action, where most took out of court payments, with at least one who successfully sued the MoD for discrimination and unfair dismissal in court.
What do you reckon my wife's case would get as a pay out?
PO Wren left after six years service to give Birth to my daughter.
This is 52 years ago this year. :)

Sumo

War Hero
Ask and find out my guess they would say missed the boat, the one I know of directly was over 20 years ago.

Waspie

War Hero
Yup, no retrospective claims!
You live by the rules of the day!

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero

OK - the other side of the coin. Mrs S-B Mk1 was a POWREN and we were married for 10 years. It could be argued that we couldn't have children and continue her career.

Where's my compo? Semi-serious, I bet some ambulance chaser would take it on.

PS, I hate kids, never had any, don't want any. But it's the principle, innit?

Waspie

War Hero
OK - the other side of the coin. Mrs S-B Mk1 was a POWREN and we were married for 10 years. It could be argued that we couldn't have children and continue her career.

Where's my compo? Semi-serious, I bet some ambulance chaser would take it on.

PS, I hate kids, never had any, don't want any. But it's the principle, innit?
Bet ya had 'babies heads' though!!!

Hypocrite!!! :D:D:D