This bloke is suing William Hill...

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by sgtpepperband, Jul 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

2. 'Mr Calvert financed betting on two accounts with William Hill by borrowing £1,420,000 from four 'business associates', taking out a £23,500 bank loan, and remortgaging the family home by £100,000. He has repaid £24,113 and owes £1,518,000 to creditors. '

By 'Business Associates' do we mean those rather nice people who lend money at rates a little bit higher than the high street banks and then when you dont repay, carry out surgery on you using baseball bats, hammers and power drills ?????

If they do, he can then sue Stanley tools and Black & Decker for injuries received from one of their workshop tools.....

3. Twxxs a Mackem as well , just about sums it up ,

4. With any luck it'll be laughed out of court.
    What a joke that it got this far :roll:

5. I remember the Marlboro man in the 70's. He died of lung cancer (oops!).

6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Hmm, and Lou Gehrig died of 'Lou Gehrig's Disease'... what are the chances of that happening?! :wink:

7. Al Zheimer isn't a well bloke at all ;)

8. Erm. If they let him gamble when they knew he gambled through mental illness then he might have a case. Gambling addiction is a major social problem: my dad suffered from it (but only admitted to the problem when clinically depressed, and never sought help) but could afford to pay his debts each month, most cannot. A more constructive approach would be for him to support the excellent work of GamCare (and the research efforts of Prof. Mark Griffiths.) I only wish I'd known about their work before my dad died.

9. I'm sorry Steve but I really don't see how he CAN have a case.
    Are you saying that, for example, a fish and chip shop has a duty or even an obligation NOT to sell a bag of chips to an obviously overweight person?

Come on mate, betting shops are businesses, they have no obligation whatsoever to the punter!

10. Lamri,

If they allowed him to gamble having received prior notification by a medical practitioner of him having a mental health problem leading to abnormal gambling during the psychiatric episodes and having been asked not to make the funds available, then yes he would have a case. I speak from experience as we had to do so on one occasion when my dad was hospitalised and had run up a gambling debt in excess of £10K. Our solicitor wrote them a letter pointing out that they had been notified of his condition and his gambling excesses during manic episodes. They had promised not to allow him to obtain more credit but reneged on their promise. They had to write off the sum.

Steve.

11. I understand what you are saying and can see the legal stance makes sense in the case of your Father, but this guy did nothing of the sort!
    He "Asked to be excluded" and then went on a betting spree!
    At no time were the bookies informed of this man's addiction to gambling and asked to ban him, by either a Solicitor or a Doctor.

12. In that case he deserved a good tongue lashing followed by a long spell in the dark, gloomy (w)Hole of Calcutta.