This Bit Aint Funny

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Rumrat, Sep 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So cuts to the Police force predicted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11266059

Whilst seeing the need for severe cuts to public spending and hoping the measures instigated work, this in my humble opinion is a cut to many.
    For those privileged enough to live in remoter places, whilst not immune from robbery, do tend to avoid anti-social issues. This is not always the way it pans out for many of us and even though I do not live in an obviously "rough" area, we have over the years had our share of problems.
    Because of my size, capability and back up from family members/ friends, on the odd occasions we have had problems, we have been able to cope, contain, and clear up any transgressions locally.
    Others are not as capable, or lucky and are not able to resolve their problems. If the size and capability of local Police forces are compromised and downsized, people are going to start vigilante action to resolve their trouble or be overwhelmed in a wave of criminal sh1te.

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Too much.
    Too soon.

:evil:

3. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

They could always share the pain around, remove a few peoples police protection, ex NI ministers for an example seeing as it's all sunlight and roses over there now, well acording to them it is so let them reap the rewards of their efforts. That salmond rushtie bloke, hey the muslim radicals hate lots of us now so why is he special? All the cops from the palace of westminister, replace them with soldiers which should generate the need for an extra infantry Bn that can rotate in and out every couple of months ( no longer than that we have to keep our soldiers from temptation and corruption).

Do away with the special police "focus groups" and any copper on sickpay for over 6 months gets the boot to allow a replacement to be trained and put on the beat, any copper unable to go on the beat due to stress/ illness / lies etc gets the boot as well.

4. Agree, but I dinnae think the last para. bit will happen as the compensation will be just as crippling financially. The Plod Federation willl scream unfair dismissal and the orificer will seeek max compo. and likely get it. When it comes to fiddles and the like you can't beat the police.

5. Police? What police? - our town is served by a brace of PCSOs who are hardly ever to be seen.
    We have swarms of the new 'parking control' w***ers but no police.

6. We have far too many Police Forces in this country.Before a single Copper is sacked or made redundant they should be merged into larger forces and get rid of the surplus Chief Police Officers and unneeded management.Then get rid of all the PCSOs who as far as I can tell serve no useful purpose but soak up cash which could be spent on coppers that can make arrests.
    The ACPOs are attempting to frighten the populace with a worst case scenario while they attempt to cling on to their little empires.

7. sgtpepperband

No different from Senior RN/Army/RAF Officers who do the same for their respective Services in the build up to the SDSR then..?! :shock:

8. Nope :!:

9. They could get rid of the ones that keep taking my picture, or give us a chance of buying a print, that may make some money.

Who has copyright and am I entitaled to modeling fees if they apear in a catalog for Hawwaiian shirts?

10. Never, never use force, just pick a bigger bloomin Hammer.

11. :)

12. sgtpepperband

In order to save money, how about ditching the top brass staff cars? Why does a Ch. Supt. need to travel in a flash Beemer when an unmarked Vectra from the pool will do instead?

Mind you, I bet that idea will be as popular as the SDSR getting rid of Boarding School Allowance. Why should an employer (in this case, the MOD) have to pay for personnel to educate their kids in schools away from their homes? I appreciate serving personnel have to travel as part of their job, but why does the rest of the family have to relocate as well? And why should the kids' education be disrupted as a result?

Not a massive saving, but as Tesco says: "every little helps".

(Waits for incoming from members with kids in private education...) :thumbleft:

13. My local police station shuts at 1800 and re-opens at 0630 the next morning. Nearest manned plod station is about 15 miles away. All the local ne'er-do-wells know this 'cos the last plod out hangs a "closed" sign on the door.

Can't cut anymore down 'ere (but I bet they do)

14. sgtpepperband

15. Personally fitness should be a big factor, I mean how many war dodgers, ship dodgers etc are going out of their way trying to avoid operations. People that pass out I would like to assume they are of the required standard to continue within the armed forces, but many times fail a BFT. At the end of the day we are training for war, and heaven forbid but if the shit hits the fan I would like to know that they can get me to safety. Same for the Navy, heaven forbid there is a battle upon the seas and im injured I would like to think that anyone serving can at least move me a short distance to safety, but lets be honest its not the case. Whilst serving on HMS Endurance I have never seen so many people that goes out of the way of trying to get out of a BFT. Without naming and shaming there were two that springs to mind that failed three times, then got put on extra phys and that was it, all forgotten about.
    For me personally being fit is a key role in the Armed forces and if you fail to even maintain the basic fitness then we should start looking at replacments, where money would be better spent.

Drip over.

16. have i missed a page of the thread - one minute we are looking at tractors in the rozzers colours, next we get a rant about fat matelot on the plum princess

??????????????

17. Sorry back on track.

18. This isn't as costly as it might seem.
    Cost of a new lease Skoda/Citroen (our brigades preferred makes) at around 7K is made available to the officer. If s/he is happy with this then they can take it (as some do).
    The option is that they can upgrade to what ever model/make they want (subject to spec - ie must have 4 door; must have secure boot; must enable magnetic blue roof lights (hence alum Land Rovers aren't allowed)) but the difference in cost is made up by the officer at personal expense.

So the chances are a Ch. Supt is indeed paying for his own Beemer.

19. I like this one.... :roll:

Have a look here. On Duty Police Injuries

Now rozzers aren't my bestest friends but I can certainly root for them as I do for HFH. And would it really be right to 'sack' a copper after 6 months that was stabbed by some crack- head?