thinking of rejoining

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by missthedits, Oct 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi all, served from 97-02, left for personal reasons, things have just changed hugely in my life and i now find myself seperated, i always regretted leaving and have never settled in a civvy job because it never offered the buzz or the camaradary i felt whilst serving, only worry i have is i am 39, still in good nic for my age but would have to rejoin as ab or om or whatever it is now and would i fit in with a young mess, all opinions welcome no matter how painful, many thanks

2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Have a look through the Newbies threads, there are loads of age related comments on there. Quite a few joining or coming in from the Army in their mid to late 20's ( I understand they do an extra week at Raleigh to get the hygiene side sorted out :wink: )

3. isn't the upper age limit for joining the royal navy 36.I'M sure this is correct and if you check the royal navy website it tells you on there.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

A person with former service may join to complete an unfinished 18 year contract for pension providing they can achieve it by age 55.

A 39 year-old with 5 years former service can comfortably complete his/her 18 years by age 52, so theoreticlly can re-join.

BUT, & it's a capitalised BUT...

Generally people in similar circumstances often have financial commitments above 50% of their starting income which can cause problems with a starting wage of around £13K.

The Branch Manager will advise whether a person with a relatively long break in service will quite possibly have lost their pay seniority & may need to undergo phase one training again - it could go either way but those re-joining should anticipate this possibility.

That said it's been done successfully, so as long as the individual appreciates that their reasons for leaving the service previously may well still exist, then there's no reason why not - The very best of luck.

5. many thanks for your comments, i already have a application in for the rfa and this is my back up plan should that not come off, it was at the afco that got me thinking, the chief who took our rfa psyc test said why aint you rejoing , and i said at 39 he replied yes no problem, so i obtained a copy of my former service records and all i would have to do is reapply and i would rejoin at same rank/pay etc. dont have to re do basic training either just some refresher pjt and away you go. i only opt for the rfa first because of single accom and greater leave its massively better than rn.

6. They are a bunch of bummers though...

7. Ninja_Stoker

If you've been outside the RN for 7 years, having served 5 years previously, as stated earlier - the Branch Manager will decide which payscale & training is required, if accepted for further service. Don't bank on not having to undergo Phase One training again as you may be disappointed after a large gap in currency.

In which case, it's difficult to understand why anyone would bother rejoining the RN - although record numbers seem to be doing just that at present.

Best of luck.

8. i wont have to do basic again, spoke to captain naval recruiting and was told only need rejoiners course at raleigh, i know it sounds a bit crazy but miss it so much even after all this time, and will push hard for next rate. cheers

9. Ninja_Stoker

Good news.

The only reason for stating that it's worth exercising caution with regard expectations upon re-joining is because pay seniority is by no means assured upon re-entry, particularly if former service pay statements cannot be produced by the applicant. (Unusual after a 7 year break).

Similarly I've heard of trained Royal Marines leaving the Corps to immediately join the RN (usually as Divers) & the branch managers have previously (surprisingly) insisted they undergo RN phase one training.

The "Approval to process" letter from CNR will categorically state the terms & conditions of re-entry, training required & payscales upon re-entry, which is the definitive guidance - if you've already had a copy of the letter then that's what will happen.