thinking of re-joining

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by tug26, Mar 8, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all

I left the Navy in 2012 after 7 years service done - i wanted to become a fire fighter - has not happened! Have had a reasonable jobs since the day i left working in a factory and as a lorry driver. I just miss the mob and the life - travel, friends etc.

I was a aircraft handler and was on my 3rd draft at RAF Cottesmore when the harrier was disbanded i decided to leave.

Im really thinking of re-joining as an aircraft handler, but have a few questions.

1. Can i rejoin or have the defence cuts effected this?

2. If i can re-join - how would the process go? i.e. Phase 1, 2 training etc

3. Will i start on starting pay again? or does previous service count for something

4. If there is a waiting list will my previous service be taken in to account.if i have to wait can i join as a reservist.

Im 28 now and really feel like i need to do this now before its too late as its all im thinking about at the moment. i really enjoyed my time the job and the people. i enjoy my current job but there seems allways something missing! Any advice from any careers officers would be great.

Thanks in advance
  2. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Take a seat and Ninja Stoker will be with you shortly.

Well he will be online at some point again today I'm sure. He's the resident 'spurt on them there AFCO matters.
  3. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

In the meantime, feel free to utilise the search function to see if there are any answers already on here.
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As you've only been outside a couple of years, you would probably rejoin as a trained re-entrant. You may dip a pay increment or two to reflect the break in service & that will be advised in the Approval To Process (ATP) letter. Likewise, whatever contract you were on (AFPS 75?) You'll rejoin currently on the AFPS 05 contract - 18 years, usually minus the 7 already served.

You'll need to bring your discharge certificate & Certificate of Service to your AFCO when applying, together with a former pay statement ideally. You need to sign the consent forms so the AFCO can obtain your former service med docs - usually takes about 4 weeks, then another 4 to gain ATP.

If re-joining the same branch as a trained re-entrant, you'll be interviewed, medical examination, PJFT & renew SC. Once that's done & dusted, trained re-entrants usually get allocated a join date the first week of the following month. You join Raleigh (jacket, shirt & tie), get kitted out, RNST, RNFT, APWT, respirator checks, weekenders, then join a frontline squadron on the Monday - assuming no refresher training is required.
  5. thanks for the reply i think i was afps75 i was considering re-joining as a aircraft handler as before.
  6. On rejoining you will be automatically enrolled into AFPS 05. There is the option of aggregating your AFPS 75 benefits with your new service. If you need help with this decision join the Forces Pension Society (Forces Pension Society - Fighting for the Forces and their Families ) and we will give you the figures to inform your personal decision.