Thinking of Re-joining.........

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by oggys, Apr 27, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Oppos!!

Firstly very sorry if i have posted in the wrong place or have done something else wrong - never used a forum before!!

Ok, i left the Navy in 2007 (only 4 years service done) - wanted to become a police officer - has not happend! Have had a good job since the day i left, do get a bit of a buzz from it, get paid well. - I just miss the mob and the life - travel, friends, bost lol etc.

I had a great record of service, great reports, never got in the shit or run (luck!!)
    Was well on my way to getting my rate etc etc. I was a CIS 1

Im really thinking of re-joining, aim will be to become Naval Police (Don't hate me for this lol), but have a few questions / worry's etc etc.

1 - Can i rejoin or have the defence cuts effected this? as i see there's a hold on CIS.

2 - If i can re-join - how would the process go? i.e. Phase 1, 2 training etc

3 - Will i start on starting pay again? or does previous service count for something

4 - Will i still be CIS 1, or will i go back to a new rating i.e. fresh out the box?? or have to go in a new branch?

5 - Can i give a preference - Guzz or pompey etc.

Im 31 now and really feel like i need to do this now or just forget about it, as its all im thinking about at the moment. Any advice from any careers officers would be great - no matter how hard the news might be to take!

Thanks for any info guys.

P.s do the oggys still turn up for stand easy??? Miss those Bad boys!!

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

3. Now that was quick!! Thanks ill have a butchers now.

4. If you are going to rejoin start the process ASAP, get down your AFCO tomorrow.

5. Hi Daffy,

Will be going down next week, im the meantime going to hunt for my Docs over the bank holiday!!

I see from previous post you re-joined at 29? how long did it take? shed any light on what pay u go back in on and rate etc

cheers

6. Ninja_Stoker

Seniority upon rejoining relates to the duration of the break in service & whether you rejoin in your original trade or in a different one.

In short, you will not rejoin on the same pay increment you left on & will drop at least two or three if you rejoin the same trade, even itf there's a break in service of less than twelve months.

Those joining in a totally separate branch of preference, with a break in service in excess of about 5 years may even have to rejoin from the start on the new entry rate of pay. Timescales for re-entering under those conditions will be the same as a first time entrant. trained re-entrants, if accepted, can often take up to 6 months to be processed and actually enter service.

Once permission is granted, the pay scale will be indicated in the letter from Captain Naval Recruiting.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  7. Thanks for the info ninja, will be looking at orginal trade to jon back up (CIS).If i get back in, i plan will be to work my butt of and go for Naval police as soon as they will let me. Am i right in thinking that i will need to be selected for hooks in my branch before i can request to go reggie?? I understand this may take a few years of graft to get to this stage again.

8. Ninja_Stoker

9. I left in 2003 and rejoined in March 2010. I applied in October 2009 and was back through the gates of Raleigh in March 2010. I was an OM(AW) when I left so rejoined in a branch similar to the one I left as. I kept all my old docs and paperwork including last pay statement so that helped.

Longest period was just waiting for the Permission to proceed which came in January 2010. After that I didn't hang about. I'm happy I made the decision. I've transfered my preserved pension over so now will leave with a full pension. My previous service carried over. I lost all my sea time due to the break in service, so had to start that over again. Gutted as it was a lot of money in sea pay.

I went in on the Wednesday at Raleigh with a few other rejoiners, signed paperwork, got my kit etc then went weekenders on the Thursday. Joined Excellent as QM on the Monday.

No phase 1 despite being out for 7 years, just a couple of days at Raleigh and a refresher on ADAWS later prior to joining the ship I'm on. I had little skill fade so it made it all the easier to get back into it.

10. I'm going for a different branch this time mate. I've dropped a few levels in pay but nothing major. I go back in June so it should be fun.

11. Seems like a pretty smooth 6months run for you then. Looking for my paperwork this weekend, pretty sure i kept it all in one place (i hope!). No doubt there will be skill plenty of skill fade for me, a refresher and plenty of sea time should sort that!! How did you find rejoining, how were you treated etc.

Thanks for the link ninja - forgot how much fun looking through one of those was ! Im guessing it will be a good few years back in, to even be considerd/apply for NP.

12. The process went pretty well, just make sure you can provide all the relevant paper work and be prepared to wait.

13. Hey Daffy,

So when did you leave........how long did you do? How longs the process to rejoin taken you pal?
    Good luck for june!

14. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Try a PM to SgtP he's a Reggie

15. I got treated very well, obviously plenty of stick for being a failed civi, but luckily there are a few in my mess who have gone outside and came back in at some point so they understood. Plus I know the score having been there done it, I just get on with things. I always get asked why I left and why I rejoined and I tell those who ask the truth. Especially those looking at chucking there chits in after 4 years. Being the most senior AB in my department they made me DLHOM of the mess too for that achievement.

I did get worried about the redundancies as no one knew where I stood as I fell in the category due to time served but as I rejoined I fell out of the category so I breathed a sigh of relief. It was the best descision for me and for the family to go back in. I don't regret as such for leaving the first time round, I learnt alot being a civi, and being treated worse on the outside, so I've taken what learnt first time and being civi back in with me

16. I left the marines in 08 after serving 8 years. I'm going as a diver this time. As Tommo mentioned I have no regrets being a civie as it's one heck of a learning curve, civie life was just not for me (grass it's greener and all that)

17. Thats what im starting to think Daffy, i know what you mean about the grass is greener etc shame its taken me four years to realise it. I work with a few Ex-military now, one has done 12 years and the other 22 years - both say they would go back if they could.

18. hi janner,

Tried to PM sgtp - it says user not found??

Maybe im doing something wrong mate, im pretty new here!

19. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

:angry7:

Why not become a PTI or join the crabs?