Thinking of leaving

Discussion in 'The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs' started by Wafu_do_it_best, Mar 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

after some massive advice really.

been in 7 and half years.

Wafu by trade. Laet(av) full sup.

Job isnt doing anything for me anymore, and with my first baby on route im thinking now maybe time to move on.

My problem is, what the hell do i/can i do???????

i have a national diploma in marine engineering plus qualifications from killics course in aviation engineering. plus as level maths/physics and NVQ 3 man management.

I dont want to leave for a boring office job. im an active person and i just dont know what i want to do. im still interested in working with aircraft but dont want to go back to the airstations working for serco.

Has anyone got any advice?

Be appreciated as i feel my life is just treading water at present

2. Be a tree surgeon. Ideal if you like being outside. A mate of mine did - chief tiff. He's lovin' it.
  3. how about air /sea rescue or full time rnli . or coastguard.
  4. i was a winchman on my flight and loved it. not sure whether i want to do lots of flying though
  5. Bit of a closed shop dude.

You need to be an ex RN or RAF Aircrewman to even get an interview. (Got the tee shirt if you know what I mean John!!!) :wink: Main employers Bond and Bristows.

Being a locally trained winchman on a Lynx flight an aircrewman it doesn't make. Bit like saying a crewman who has passed QS is a mechanic!!! :?

Find something your interested in and pursue that.

I have seen chief tiffs doing AET's jobs at Bournemouth airport. As a killick non tiff sort of puts it into perspective.
  6. Why the serious answers?

This is obviously a wind up.

Isn't it?
  7. not a wind up, safeguard,green fowlys

why would it be a wind up? I come in job/resettlement section and ask for advice.

Not seeing your trail of thought there
  8. My advice, for what it's worth, is to stick with what you're doing until this recession is over. You're going to find it difficult to walk out of the mob into a job that pays the same as a killick's wage when companies are laying off left, right and Chelsea.

Go and talk to the resettlement staff and they'll tell you exactly the same thing.
  9. That's absolutely right, after much hmmning and hahhing, and with the News every night depressing me more and more, I withdrew my notice. When I went to see the Resettlent Officer to cancel my resettlement, he said that it was the best thing to do, that there's less and less information coming in about new vacancies.
    Does anyone know if recruitment levels are up at the AFCOs? That would be a pretty good indication... I'm sure there's still plenty of people who would sign up for 'three hots and a cot'...
  10. Im in a simular situation dude and i fear they are right! the mob is a load of old shit right now but its better than the dole queue! What with the recession hopefully entry standards will improve and the shower of shit that has become the norm for cocky jumped up new joiners will change tand we will start getting lads who can actually pull off a days work!
  11. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

And hopefully we'll get some people who actually want to be in the mob and don't just see it as a better alternative to being on the dole.
  12. I think i knew the answer before i even stated typing you you lads have confirmed my fears really.

Going to have a long think about it but i have a feeling i'll still be a wafu come xmas 2010.

Im on a training squadron and some of the phase 2's and lads(been in a year and think they know it all) are shocking. not all, in a group of 8 you might get 2 good eggs but thats a shit ratio. even got asked by a newbie to empty a bin :) lets play rock paper scissors hook sunshine.

I think if someone was to offer me a 30k job right now secured i'd be off.

How are you other wafu's finding the FAA at the moment?
  13. As a killick AET I presume that you are now on top pay band. How long until you get your PO rate?
    Once you have been rated PO life changes dramatically, stick with it and rip the bastards off for a pension.
    Now is definitely not the time to be job hunting and I do not believe the government when they say it will be over in less than a year, we are in deep sh!t and will be for a few years yet.
  14. yeah top pay band. there has been a massive increase in killicks recently so there is alot of competition, my CPD was July 07 but ive only just got my hook due to having an injury and not being able to complete LRCC
  15. tiddlyoggy

After a massive seven and a half years you really are an old sea dog aren't you? It wasn't like that in your day was it?
  16. yeah cheers dits, forgot that i said i was an old salty one ;) thanks for the input though, always helpfull
  17. tiddlyoggy

You're welcome!
  18. Getting hints of chinos and fox piss from your message? :lol:
  19. tiddlyoggy

If you like, getting hints of gobby sprog from yours.