Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Thinking of leaving Navy

SJ17

Midshipman
Hi,
I served in the Navy as an ETME for 3 years now. I got a degree in electrical engineering and master’s in management before joining Navy. I was supposed to join as an Officer but couldn’t due to waiting time and other limitations when I made my application. I was very focused on joining and took that opportunity. Navy has offered me to go AIB after me getting qualified.
However, I am thinking of leaving the mob soon as I am expecting a baby soon. I dont want my life to be very uncertain. So, what could the possible jobs I could get in Civy street?

Also, if I would be an MEO, would I be on a sea draft or shore draft? Please if anyone could give a rough career progression from phase 2 would be very helpful to me.

Many thanks

Last edited:
Four years in the Navy and you come on an unofficial navy website seeking advice about your career. Heaven help us. You have a DO and if you made it through to being an MEO you would be a DO. Is this a wind op......

With a degree in Electrical Engineering and a Masters in Management (really!!) I would have thought you would have the ability to go to correct sources rather than ask a load of anonymous keyboard warriors :rolleyes:

From your post I believe that the RN is not the place for you.
You do not state if you are ingle or have a partner.
Serving in the RN does involve going to sea otherwise we would be called just The Royal.
As a single person with a child this can involve hardships for both child and parent so this is an important consideration.
You have plenty to offer to potential employers, first being your qualifications followed by the fact that you are a disciplined individual.
Service gained engineering skills can always be transferred to civilian engineering so many potential employers will welcome you

From your post I believe that the RN is not the place for you.
You do not state if you are ingle or have a partner.
Serving in the RN does involve going to sea otherwise we would be called just The Royal.
As a single person with a child this can involve hardships for both child and parent so this is an important consideration.
You have plenty to offer to potential employers, first being your qualifications followed by the fact that you are a disciplined individual.
Service gained engineering skills can always be transferred to civilian engineering so many potential employers will welcome you
Really? I didn't do much of it :)

Really? I didn't do much of it :)
You like me had the sense to join Gods chosen branch of the service the F.A.A.
Like you I never did a great deal of time on those floating air stations or even the smaller ships we used to transport out helo from port to port.
However in my 22 years it did add up to a couple of years or so.
Unfortunately the young lady did not have the intelligence to be selected so will never know the pleasures of Gods own branch. :)

All 'I' got from the post was that 'I' appeared quite a lot!! A degree too. Civvy life beckons methinks quickly followed by the benefits office!!!

Interesting that the original post a while ago asks what happens in the first 3 years, could this be linked to Nationality rights?

Latest Threads