Thinking of joining

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by dongus, Aug 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all

Im currently a serving civillian police officer and to be honest its not all its cracked up to be. Ive been trying get this job for about 5 years and its pretty dull with loads of paper work burocracy and political correctness.
    Im thinking about a change of direction I have a friend who is ex RNand has told me how much he enjoyed it and its sounds pretty good.
    Im 24 at the mo, what does everyone think am I barking up the wrong tree with this or should I look into it further.

Thanks

2. Bugger a future Chrusher

3. Do it. Be prepared for just as much bullshit and political correctness though. You will also take a mega pay cut.

On second thought, don't do it.

4. Get down to your local AFCO pronto , as a serving plod you should make a good GI.

5. No reason why not, but you'll have to take a pretty substantial pay drop I would think.

You will also find equal ops legislation in the RN so your abhorrence of 'political correctness' may cause you some distress.

6. If you think the RN is going to be any different then you're in for a shock.

7. Is there really as much political correctness as the police.....I wouldnt have thought it was that bad. I know its a diciplined organisation but thats fair enough i realise that.
    I quite like the idea of travelling the world for a living more than anything. As for teh pay drop money aint everything

8. dongus

Do you have any A Levels?

9. I didn't realise coppers got paid that much!! What branch would you be looking at? Defo best off to head down to your local AFCO to check things out. If you're wanting to go in as an officer then there are age limits, so you don't want to leave it too late pondering when you can get the ball rolling straight away.

10. No I dont have any A levels got my GCSE's. Im not after joining as an officer, had a look on RN website fancy maybe a weapons engineer.

11. You're unlikely to find as much political correctness in the mob as you do in the plod on a day-to-day basis. It also helps that for the majority of the time you will be out of the public eye, amongst your 'own kind' instead of coming up against chavs and fcukwits whose sole purpose is to cause you as many problems as possible. There is, though, a fair amount of bullshit to put up with but you would make an excellent 'messdeck lawyer'.

Having joined the Old Bill, the recruitment process should be a piece of piss for you. What force are you in?

12. Im in a nothwest police service....force is too aggressive a term for the fcukwits we deal with on a day to day basis haha

13. Most people dont really join up for the money any way, and no doubt he will be switched on so im sure he will make it back over a couple of years.

14. Thanks people.....Im gonna have a look down at the AFCO on my next set of days off. I will keep you posted on what I decide.

15. And welcome to the site, dongus. It's good to have a newbie that's clearly intelligent and articulate, compared to some of the pondlife that's joined the site in recent months.

Sadly the 'search' function doesn't appear to be working all that well, so any questions you have, fire away. (We won't expect too many 'bone' Qs from you)

Oh, and expect to participate in some occasional rough banter, so don't go all PC on us. :lol:

16. I hate to say it but I've still got that ladybird police book :oops: Where can I get the others from :?:

Welcome to the site Dongus, as others have said, think long and hard after your AFCO visit, plus you can always transfer to crusher once your in and done a couple of years if you feel like going back to that life. You haven't said said if your married/trapping, if so what does the other half think?

17. Thanks very much been looking through the site, there are some fooking mongs on here aint there. No I wont be asking any bone questions.
    I love rough banter I try it at work often but they just look at me like Im mad.

No im single as they come, last girlfriend I had for about 8 month but I binned her off because I missed playing around, I get bored easy when it comes to women. Variety is the spice of life ! :lol:

18. You'll do fine at sea with all the lady? sailors then :)