Thinking of joining the RNR

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by 2_deck_dash, Jun 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey everyone,

Like most of the other new posters on this site, I can't be bothered to get myself down to my AFCO. To be honest I'm even too lazy to phone them or have a look at the RN website which I'm told is quite good.

So a few questions for you lot:

I'm an ex regular matelot and am looking at joining the RNR to keep me out of trouble at weekends and to give me an excuse to go out on the smash once a week. What's it like? What do you on drill nights? Is it acceptable to get naked and run around in just my anti-flash? How do they treat ex-regulars? Will I get promoted quicker because of my previous service? Do I have to go back to Raleigh?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. Can't be bothered to tell you.

3. It's obvious you're fishing and after the shite Nails posted time after time it's become really boring now.

4. A few more questions which I can't be bothered to phone the AFCO about:

Is there a Wren's mess at the RNR base? You see my favourite hobby when I was in the mob, along with uckers, involved climbing through the escape hatch into the Wrens mess during the middle, then I would stick my finger up my bum and try and gather up a few nuggets under my finger nail, then I would wipe said finger accross the Wrens upper lips whilst they slept. I believe in some circles this is known as a 'Dirty Sanchez' and the Pongos call it 'Skiffing' but I've always reffered to it as 'pootashing'.

It would be great if I could do this again and hopefully introduce it to some of the other lads in the RNR. Do you think I should mention this at my AIB? I know they are especially keen on people who show initiative and are willing to start sports clubs/teams etc.

5. Yes I am fishing, to be honest I am bored of reading shite posts from sprogs asking bone questions. I though this forum would be amusing and full of Jack humour and banter but so far any sign of anything interesting has been nipped in the bud before it gets out of hand or too amusing.

As for the sprogs: It's quite simple if you don't know the answer, phone your AFCO. Procedures for joining change all the time, Raleigh changes all the time, so the only people who really know the answers are the AFCO.

Rant over.

6. I fully agree with you regarding the sprogs, mate. It's also sometimes difficult to get Jack humour across via the written word, and after a lot of the dross that's been written, bites need to be a little bit more subtle and less obvious, as all the best bites onboard were.

7. I think you'll find AFCO's don't do RNR's, you have to go to the Dept of Work and Pensions and ask for a form. Once accepted , as an ex-matelot you are automatically rated CPO and if you want to be an officer you would have an automatic waiver for AIB and do a 2 day knife, fork and spoon course at Dartmouth before being rated Lt. The Dept of W & P will explain it all :wink:

8. Cheers shippers, that's what I thought, I just wanted to clarify a few things before I start. I was also thinking of doing my green lid as well, just so the chicks will dig me even more. I am pretty trim and can do my rockport walk at a pretty steady pace, I also nearly got my marksman badge at Raleigh so it should be quite easy. :lol:

9. Agreed, but you have to admit sometimes a proper gash bite is worth a giggle.

10. I don't see the problem with stupid questions in the Newbies section. Some of the posts are helpful. If you're refering to outwith that, then fair enough.

11. Yep, some gash bites are great, especially if it's blindingly obvious you're after a bite, and it sometimes amuses me to 'bite' to these as well.