Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking of joining the RNR

2_deck_dash

War Hero
Hey everyone,

Like most of the other new posters on this site, I can't be bothered to get myself down to my AFCO. To be honest I'm even too lazy to phone them or have a look at the RN website which I'm told is quite good.

So a few questions for you lot:

I'm an ex regular matelot and am looking at joining the RNR to keep me out of trouble at weekends and to give me an excuse to go out on the smash once a week. What's it like? What do you on drill nights? Is it acceptable to get naked and run around in just my anti-flash? How do they treat ex-regulars? Will I get promoted quicker because of my previous service? Do I have to go back to Raleigh?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2_deck_dash

War Hero
A few more questions which I can't be bothered to phone the AFCO about:

Is there a Wren's mess at the RNR base? You see my favourite hobby when I was in the mob, along with uckers, involved climbing through the escape hatch into the Wrens mess during the middle, then I would stick my finger up my bum and try and gather up a few nuggets under my finger nail, then I would wipe said finger accross the Wrens upper lips whilst they slept. I believe in some circles this is known as a 'Dirty Sanchez' and the Pongos call it 'Skiffing' but I've always reffered to it as 'pootashing'.

It would be great if I could do this again and hopefully introduce it to some of the other lads in the RNR. Do you think I should mention this at my AIB? I know they are especially keen on people who show initiative and are willing to start sports clubs/teams etc.

2_deck_dash

War Hero
Jimmy_Green said:
It's obvious you're fishing and after the shite Nails posted time after time it's become really boring now.

Yes I am fishing, to be honest I am bored of reading shite posts from sprogs asking bone questions. I though this forum would be amusing and full of Jack humour and banter but so far any sign of anything interesting has been nipped in the bud before it gets out of hand or too amusing.

As for the sprogs: It's quite simple if you don't know the answer, phone your AFCO. Procedures for joining change all the time, Raleigh changes all the time, so the only people who really know the answers are the AFCO.

Rant over.

Jimmy_Green

War Hero
2_deck_dash said:
Jimmy_Green said:
It's obvious you're fishing and after the shite Nails posted time after time it's become really boring now.

Yes I am fishing, to be honest I am bored of reading shite posts from sprogs asking bone questions. I though this forum would be amusing and full of Jack humour and banter but so far any sign of anything interesting has been nipped in the bud before it gets out of hand.

As for the sprogs: It's quite simple if you don't know the answer, phone your AFCO. Procedures for joining change all the time, Raleigh changes all the time, so the only people who really know the answers are the AFCO.

Rant over.

I fully agree with you regarding the sprogs, mate. It's also sometimes difficult to get Jack humour across via the written word, and after a lot of the dross that's been written, bites need to be a little bit more subtle and less obvious, as all the best bites onboard were.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I think you'll find AFCO's don't do RNR's, you have to go to the Dept of Work and Pensions and ask for a form. Once accepted , as an ex-matelot you are automatically rated CPO and if you want to be an officer you would have an automatic waiver for AIB and do a 2 day knife, fork and spoon course at Dartmouth before being rated Lt. The Dept of W & P will explain it all :wink:

2_deck_dash

War Hero
WreckerL said:
I think you'll find AFCO's don't do RNR's, you have to go to the Dept of Work and Pensions and ask for a form. Once accepted , as an ex-matelot you are automatically rated CPO and if you want to be an officer you would have an automatic waiver for AIB and do a 2 day knife, fork and spoon course at Dartmouth before being rated Lt. The Dept of W & P will explain it all :wink:

Cheers shippers, that's what I thought, I just wanted to clarify a few things before I start. I was also thinking of doing my green lid as well, just so the chicks will dig me even more. I am pretty trim and can do my rockport walk at a pretty steady pace, I also nearly got my marksman badge at Raleigh so it should be quite easy. :lol:

2_deck_dash

War Hero
Jimmy_Green said:
2_deck_dash said:
Jimmy_Green said:

Yes I am fishing, to be honest I am bored of reading shite posts from sprogs asking bone questions. I though this forum would be amusing and full of Jack humour and banter but so far any sign of anything interesting has been nipped in the bud before it gets out of hand.

Rant over.

I fully agree with you regarding the sprogs, mate. It's also sometimes difficult to get Jack humour across via the written word, and after a lot of the dross that's been written, bites need to be a little bit more subtle and less obvious, as all the best bites onboard were.

Agreed, but you have to admit sometimes a proper gash bite is worth a giggle.

Tampon

Midshipman
I don't see the problem with stupid questions in the Newbies section. Some of the posts are helpful. If you're refering to outwith that, then fair enough.

Jimmy_Green

War Hero
2_deck_dash said:
Jimmy_Green said:
2_deck_dash said:
Jimmy_Green said:

Rant over.

Agreed, but you have to admit sometimes a proper gash bite is worth a giggle.

Yep, some gash bites are great, especially if it's blindingly obvious you're after a bite, and it sometimes amuses me to 'bite' to these as well.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Thinking of joining RNR. Ex raf rigger Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 35
S Thinking of joining the RNR but unsure Joining the Royal Navy 12
D Thinking of joining RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 14
C Thinking of joining the RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 16
Q Thinking of joining the RNR... some serious advice please! Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 7
D 56 and thinking about joining the RFA... ex infantry 12 years in, retired cop 23 years in, currently working for Scots Government as an investigator. RFA 39
L thinking about joining Joining the Royal Navy 5
D Thinking about joining RNP Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
Borochap Ex RN Chef thinking of joining up, advice please... RFA 67
S I'm thinking about joining the RFA RFA 13
S Thinking about joining as ATC. Help? The Fleet Air Arm 7
T thinking of re-joining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
B Thinking of joining RFA, travel fund to ship questions RFA 9
W Thinking about joining. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
instinct Thinking of joining as a ET ME (SM) or Surface Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
D I'm thinking about joining... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
I Thinking of joining WS branch Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
S Thinking of re joining!! The Quarterdeck 71
W thinking of joining the navy at 35??? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
G Just achieved a 2.1 BSc degree - Thinking of joining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
J bootneck thinking of re joining the corps The Corps 13
C qualified paramedic thinking of joining the navy! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
O Thinking of Re-joining......... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
T-H Thinking of joining the RN Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
T Thinking of joining the Navy as a Warfare Officer The Fleet 3
L thinking of joining need help Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
T Thinking of joining up. just after some advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
E Thinking of joining Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 6
FISO Thinking about joining the RNZN? The Quarterdeck 12
L Thinking of joining the navy - Help needed Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
D Thinking of joining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 22
W Ex-Army Officer thinking of joining RMR RMR 10
B Thinking about joining up Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
_Tim_ I've been thinking about joining some more. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
K A few questions. Ex army reg -thinking of joining RMR RMR 28
N Really thinking about joining the RMR RMR 42
the.rea Thinking of joining up ? Diamond Lil's 5
Globe-Trotter Thinking of joining,so here I am. The Corps 17
wardmaster Thinking of joining the RN? - Don't! The Gash Barge 41
M Qualified Deck Officer, Thinking of moving from Cruise Ships to RFA RFA 3
vauxhall Thinking of Emigrating? What About Your Pensions? Finance & Pensions 3
MoD_RSS News story: New funding stream for blue sky thinking MoD News 0
vauxhall Thinking and Planning Ahead - FARs Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS Speech: A different philosophy: why our thinking on flooding needs to change faster than the climate MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: From jail to a job: women take bold steps with forward thinking charity MoD News 0
T Ex WE thinking about rejoining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
S Thinking of re enlisting Health & Fitness 6
MoD_RSS Speech: Secretary of State offers an insight into UK defence thinking MoD News 0
M EX regular thinking of RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 73
MoD_RSS Speech: Thinking to win MoD News 0