Thinking of joining the Navy as a Warfare Officer

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by Tom, Mar 4, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Tom

Tom

Hi all,

I've recently shown an interest in joining the Royal Navy as a Warfare Officer, reason being as I've been told that this is the only position that enables me to eventually captain my own ship? Also, I feel it would be a role I would enjoy more, compared to logistics for example. I'm currently in my first year at 6th form studying maths, english lang, geography and business and hope to go to Liverpool Uni, and join the Navy after a degree in International Business (I think). I also hope to attend URNU.

Should I join the Navy straight after my A-levels or should I go on to Uni before hand?

Can I do degrees whilst I'm in the Navy? If so what kind?

How easy is it to progress onto further ranks, whilst being an officer?

...that is if everything goes well, as I've heard it's very competitive to become an officer...not helped by the recent redundancies imposed by the government.

I know many questions, but I want to make the right decision, hope you can help!

Thanks!

2. right, I've got a cuppa, sit down a mildly long reply....

1. Go to the Newbies forum, have a look there, there's loads of info available.

2. In order:

Should I join the Navy straight after my A-levels or should I go on to Uni before hand?

Officially, it doesn't matter. In many ways it doesn't matter. However, if you want to really get ahead of the curve, I would suggest that joining at either 18 (as a non-grad) or 21 (as a grad) are the only 2 ways to go. Join after those two dates, then you start to compress your career - if you are very good this won't really matter; if you are average then the delay you bring in will be reflected throughout your career. Not a drama if you only want to do 16 years, but if you have a serious long term aspiration to the RN then those 3 years (or whatever) can make or break your career.

Can I do degrees whilst I'm in the Navy? If so what kind?

The University Cadetship Scheme (where the RN paid for you to do a degree after BRNC) has been scrapped. The only opportunity for degrees are now in-service, either the Foundation Degree we offer Warfare Officers (which frankly isn't worth the paper it's written on) or a series of MAs/MSc/MPhil once your are at least 5+ years into service. Don't join the RN thinking we'll provide one of those just because you want one.

How easy is it to progress onto further ranks, whilst being an officer?

Very. Work hard, switch on, hit your marks and you'll go far. Be a typical Junior (Surface Warfare) Officer, think that the RN is a great big drinking club, get annoyed at doing your job (which is hard) and expect the world to revolve around you, and I suggest that you'll be leaving before you're even in zone for promotion.

Anything else you want to know?

3. Tom

Tom

Thanks a lot for your help. I think you've covered everything so far, just need to get my head down with these A-levels as I've heard its quite competitive to become an officer in the RN! I think I'm going to get Uni out the way first, and get my psychometric and medical done ASAP. Also been told to have a read on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website, and the Pink book to get a bit of knowledge on what the RN get involved in.

4. Tom

I'm not sure how useful you would find the FCO's website when it comes to finding out what the Royal Navy is involved in. Look at the Royal Navy's own site instead:

Royal Navy

I would also suggest picking up Navy News each month at W H Smith's or any other newsagent you know which stocks it.

By the way, even though you are not planning to apply immediately, feel free to drop in on any of the RN Career Advisors round your way if you are in their area. As you are hoping to go to Uni in Liverpool anyway, why not drop in at the one in Liverpool when the Easter holidays start this year?