Thinking of joining RNR. Ex raf rigger

Mkcg

Midshipman
The Air Branch is at max capacity at the moment and the engineers looking to be taken in will usually be indate for current aircraft type (Merlin and Wildcat) with relevant type courses completed. The trade courses are so lengthy now on each aircraft type even current Air Branch can't got on them as no requirement . Odd exception applies. Only exemptions have been contractors working on squadrons (serco, Morsons etc) who can transfer quals across.
How long are the courses.?
I recall my q school course for tornado was 20 days/4 weeks and that included both the GR4 & f3 variants

soleil

War Hero
Whats the AA scheme?
have you got a link to some info?
thanks

is leading hand equivalent to a corporal or like a JT/sac-t?
I think that Maxpowers means the Accelerated Apprentice entry level to Air Engineering Technician.

The only problem there might be an age thing, unless a waiver can be arranged.

I'm wondering whether you need to seek a waiver from Captain Naval Recruiting, Mkcg.

Mkcg, where is your nearest town/city?

Mkcg

Midshipman
I think that Maxpowers means the Accelerated Apprentice entry level to Air Engineering Technician.

The only problem there might be an age thing, unless a waiver can be arranged.

I'm wondering whether you need to seek a waiver from Captain Naval Recruiting, Mkcg.

Mkcg, where is your nearest town/city?
I live Glasgow pal. Nearest afco is the city centre and Faslane nearby also

soleil

War Hero
I live Glasgow pal. Nearest afco is the city centre and Faslane nearby also
I gather that the RN Careers Advisors in the AFCOs are working from home but still contactable.

The number for the CAs in Glasgow is 0141 224 5703.

I'm wondering whether it would be worthwhile asking them whether you could enter at the Accelerated Apprenticeship level with an age waiver. On paper, you are over-age, but with a waiver, you may be OK.

It would be better if you could enter at AA Level.

Mkcg

Midshipman
I gather that the RN Careers Advisors in the AFCOs are working from home but still contactable.

The number for the CAs in Glasgow is 0141 224 5703.

I'm wondering whether it would be worthwhile asking them whether you could enter at the Accelerated Apprenticeship level with an age waiver. On paper, you are over-age, but with a waiver, you may be OK.

It would be better if you could enter at AA Level.
I’ve registered an interest online In the RNR today. I assume i can talk through all the options whenever they call me back to discuss

soleil

War Hero
I’ve registered an interest online In the RNR today. I assume i can talk through all the options whenever they call me back to discuss
I think that it would be better to speak to the guys at the Glasgow AFCO, to be honest.

When you first hear back, you hear from Capita and they don't pursue questions about age waivers and so on because they are only tasked to do the simple stuff.

The CAs in Glasgow have been in the RN for a long time and have an in depth knowledge of anything to do with recruiting; they have easier contact with Captain Naval Recruiting and they are the people who would be able to tell you whether you could apply for the Accelerated scheme using an age waiver.

I wouldn't want to ask Capita abut age waivers. I once spoke to someone who had asked Capita about Chartered status and the person on the phone asked him what the word 'Chartered' meant.

Give Glasgow a buzz; the actual experienced RN Careers Advisors are the best port of call for complex applications.

Mkcg

Midshipman
I think that it would be better to speak to the guys at the Glasgow AFCO, to be honest.

When you first hear back, you hear from Capita and they don't pursue questions about age waivers and so on because they are only tasked to do the simple stuff.

The CAs in Glasgow have been in the RN for a long time and have an in depth knowledge of anything to do with recruiting; they have easier contact with Captain Naval Recruiting and they are the people who would be able to tell you whether you could apply for the Accelerated scheme using an age waiver.

I wouldn't want to ask Capita abut age waivers. I once spoke to someone who had asked Capita about Chartered status and the person on the phone asked him what the word 'Chartered' meant.

Give Glasgow a buzz; the actual experienced RN Careers Advisors are the best port of call for complex applications.
lol re the chartered status
I take it it civvys who male this call initially then?

Thanks
I’ll maybe ring them in the coming days or so once I’ve had the initial contact. I can only really take baby steps at the minute Because, (& just complicate things a little further), I’m furloughed from work at the minute and have been since the end of March. My wife has bad asthma and has had one of these 12 week sheilding letters from the nhs/gov.

My work have said I may be left on furlough until the scheme ends in October, because they are worried about me bringing covid home to her. They are also ponying the 20% to make up my full wage. So from that aspect I don’t think i could leave my current job until I’m off furlough and back working or I assume they might want some money back given it’s a job retention scheme.

soleil

War Hero
I take it it civvys who male this call initially then?
Yes, Capita process the initial enquiries and applicants then move on to direct contact with the AFCOs.

My concern for you is that you may need to get the CAs in the AFCO to liaise with Captain Naval Recruiting to enquire about an age waiver. If they are able to do this, your application could then be to the regulars rather than the RNR. It would also be in your interests to speak to the actual RN Careers Advisors because they might have a better idea as to how long it would take to process you, given your background.

You have two options now, the RNR as General Entry or the regulars as an Air Engineering Technician, either at Standard Entry Level or Accelerated. If you wanted to go back to the air engineering background you started out in, the second option would obviously be the way to go.

I'm conscious that this is something which you would need to discuss with your wife and so I think that it's best that you share with her what the actual options on the table are. If the CAs in Glasgow can tell you fairly soon whether they could get you an age waiver for the Accelerated Entry, you would know whether this was one of the options. A yes to the age waiver would mean a different offer financially. It may also be the case that an application for the Accelerated Scheme might lead to a start date which is earlier than one for the Standard scheme.

This is obviously something you would want to discuss with your wife and I think that it's an easier discussion to have if you have a better idea of what the finanncial situation would be and when you would be likely to start, if your application went through smoothly.

PS There is a possibility that your start date might be in the New Year, ask the CAs. That might work well for you.

Mkcg

Midshipman
Yes, Capita process the initial enquiries and applicants then move on to direct contact with the AFCOs.

My concern for you is that you may need to get the CAs in the AFCO to liaise with Captain Naval Recruiting to enquire about an age waiver. If they are able to do this, your application could then be to the regulars rather than the RNR. It would also be in your interests to speak to the actual RN Careers Advisors because they might have a better idea as to how long it would take to process you, given your background.

You have two options now, the RNR as General Entry or the regulars as an Air Engineering Technician, either at Standard Entry Level or Accelerated. If you wanted to go back to the air engineering background you started out in, the second option would obviously be the way to go.

I'm conscious that this is something which you would need to discuss with your wife and so I think that it's best that you share with her what the actual options on the table are. If the CAs in Glasgow can tell you fairly soon whether they could get you an age waiver for the Accelerated Entry, you would know whether this was one of the options. A yes to the age waiver would mean a different offer financially. It may also be the case that an application for the Accelerated Scheme might lead to a start date which is earlier than one for the Standard scheme.

This is obviously something you would want to discuss with your wife and I think that it's an easier discussion to have if you have a better idea of what the finanncial situation would be and when you would be likely to start, if your application went through smoothly.

PS There is a possibility that your start date might be in the New Year, ask the CAs. That might work well for you.
Ye
As u say, there is a lot to consider.
I will make the Afco call and get a better idea of all the options etc. i need to talk it over with the wife also.

I’ll keep the thread updated thanks

Ps. This is off topic
But I kept meaning to ask.
The Navy no.1 uniform is black, yes?
Do they also have a white no.1 uniform i noticed?
Why do they have both and when would u wear the black or white no.1’s

Maxpowers

Lantern Swinger
Thanks
Ye that would be better.
I take it the navy guys do the aircraft nvq3 when they are a leading hand then?
the raf rank promotion is very slow in the aircraft trade.
No leading hands do a HNC, level three is a prerequisite for the acelerated Apprenticeships scheme

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Thinking of joining the RNR but unsure Joining the Royal Navy 12
D Thinking of joining RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 14
C Thinking of joining the RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 16
Q Thinking of joining the RNR... some serious advice please! Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 7
2_deck_dash Thinking of joining the RNR Diamond Lil's 10
D 56 and thinking about joining the RFA... ex infantry 12 years in, retired cop 23 years in, currently working for Scots Government as an investigator. RFA 39
L thinking about joining Joining the Royal Navy 5
D Thinking about joining RNP Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
Borochap Ex RN Chef thinking of joining up, advice please... RFA 67
S I'm thinking about joining the RFA RFA 13
S Thinking about joining as ATC. Help? The Fleet Air Arm 7
T thinking of re-joining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
B Thinking of joining RFA, travel fund to ship questions RFA 9
W Thinking about joining. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
instinct Thinking of joining as a ET ME (SM) or Surface Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
D I'm thinking about joining... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
I Thinking of joining WS branch Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
S Thinking of re joining!! The Quarterdeck 71
W thinking of joining the navy at 35??? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
G Just achieved a 2.1 BSc degree - Thinking of joining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
J bootneck thinking of re joining the corps The Corps 13
C qualified paramedic thinking of joining the navy! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
O Thinking of Re-joining......... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
T-H Thinking of joining the RN Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
T Thinking of joining the Navy as a Warfare Officer The Fleet 3
L thinking of joining need help Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
T Thinking of joining up. just after some advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
E Thinking of joining Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 6
FISO Thinking about joining the RNZN? The Quarterdeck 12
L Thinking of joining the navy - Help needed Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
D Thinking of joining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 22
W Ex-Army Officer thinking of joining RMR RMR 10
B Thinking about joining up Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
_Tim_ I've been thinking about joining some more. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
K A few questions. Ex army reg -thinking of joining RMR RMR 28
N Really thinking about joining the RMR RMR 42
the.rea Thinking of joining up ? Diamond Lil's 5
Globe-Trotter Thinking of joining,so here I am. The Corps 17
wardmaster Thinking of joining the RN? - Don't! The Gash Barge 41
vauxhall Thinking of Emigrating? What About Your Pensions? Finance & Pensions 3
MoD_RSS News story: New funding stream for blue sky thinking MoD News 0
vauxhall Thinking and Planning Ahead - FARs Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS Speech: A different philosophy: why our thinking on flooding needs to change faster than the climate MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: From jail to a job: women take bold steps with forward thinking charity MoD News 0
T Ex WE thinking about rejoining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
S Thinking of re enlisting Health & Fitness 6
MoD_RSS Speech: Secretary of State offers an insight into UK defence thinking MoD News 0
M EX regular thinking of RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 73
MoD_RSS Speech: Thinking to win MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Thinking of exporting to Iran when sanctions are lifted? MoD News 0