Thinking of joining RFA, travel fund to ship questions

Discussion in 'RFA' started by blueship, Feb 6, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm interested in joining the RFA as a RFA seaman grade two.

I would get to the ship by train which could cost a lot, would the RFA pay for my travel and when would the travel money go in my bank account?

Will I have a choice in what shipyards I go to?

And when the ship sails back after 4 months would it go to the same shipyard were I got on the ship?
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  2. The ship you may join may not be in the UK, it could already be already overseas in which case you would get a flight. The ships don't come in and out of UK ports every 4 months the ship stays and the crew changes.
  3. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

You would get duty travel costs or flights paid for.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren
  4. I only travel by batboat, where are Jenny travels by old bat boat
  5. Blueship

I'm not sure that that role is being recruited for at the moment - ring 0845 604 0520 to ask.
  6. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

blueship asked;
    FFS! At least go from being interested to making an actual application before you ask about that sort of detail. However, I'm in a good mood so; if you are out of pocket, you fill in a form so the first part of the process will involve you. The RFA have cut a lot of costs but they don't expect you to pay to join a ship.

If a ship is in Cammell Laird it is in refit. There is no benefit and so requirement for trainee ratings and cadets in refit, save for delivering the ship to the yard and crewing up on completion. Some RFAs hang out in Falmouth and are in for maintenance periods in which case joiners and leavers may be going to and from by canoe since yesterday. Portland Dorset is another popular change over is Bahrain.
  7. What?,,,,,,,
  8. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Seen Guzzler. I thought the same.

Batman n Robin, please resist the urge to bring the Batman n Jenny roadshow to every thread. Go to chat or PMs.

No RSVP required. Thank you.
  9. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Blueship, have you looked into what the RFA does, how many ships there are or what the seaman role involves? What is the attraction to the job?

If you're not a good traveller and are looking for a shipyard close to home then maybe it's not the life for you.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren
  10. The default method of transport to join a ship in the UK is by train. Your ticket is booked through a travel agency who charge the RFA for their services and for the ticket. You do not pay for the rail journey yourself. If it is cheaper to use another method of transport, you may request to travel by that means, but in that case you will have to pay for it yourself and then claim back the expenses. Travel between railway station and home, and between railway station and ship, for example by taxi, can also be claimed. Expenses claims are paid directly into the same bank account as your salary, usually around two weeks after submitting the claim.

No. You will join and leave the ship you are appointed to wherever it happens to be at the time. You will be appointed to a ship initially where there are expected to be good opportunities for training, and once qualified wherever your services are required.

You may or may not join and leave at the same port.