Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking of giving it a whirl. Officer selection questions.

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
Pongo Officer - Inf (probably a good county regiment), then on to work with our mutual friend. You?!

edit

or RM LC Officer. That looks like fun.

Standyby,

I'd probably join as a Trauma nurse [well, Murse] - or if the younger me, hadn't fucked up Chemistry A's and didn't have an ego the size of the Government deficit, he'd have retaken said A-level and considered Medicine.

Our mutual friends time has come to an end, he rejoins the flithy unwashed soon, as soon as Summer I think. Bet he'll leave soon after.

Last edited:

Ex-Pongo.

Well I went to the AFCO........

Basically, too old for Army officer as 29 before I will get to sandhurst, which means a DEF no. Raf, the guy I had a chat with (new sgt) seemed keen in pushing non commission to me, saying apply when you get in (I know this old chestnut, and told him I'm not a mental and that I did a spot of AFCO work in my time with a recruiting team). Navy.... not at home it seems (boo), so will have to venture forth once more to see when they are in. Basically, massive time waste but then all good, reminds me of being in :D Seems like I'm going to apply for loggy officer, then see if I can go legal (gives me something to do I suppose). Btw, a Y troop officer will know just as much EW as an army officer, which is F all, but they might be similar in the fact they break things often so you have to hit the wandering hands.

Pongo (went to the afco, have you seen the state of the people there?)

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Ex-Pongo.

Clearly you are a man of class, substance and breeding. However, how on earth can you even consider the crabs? Shame on you sir. You are letting down the green.

Ex-Pongo.

Ex-Pongo.

Clearly you are a man of class, substance and breeding. However, how on earth can you even consider the crabs? Shame on you sir. You are letting down the green.

Unfortunately due to age I am restricted to as to what I can apply for, I must admit that "Crab" is my last resort in the horrible circumstances of the rest not wanting me (and I will only be applying for WSop, as I really don't think I could fly a desk). So unless I get offered that it's a no go area, I want something that has the prospects of front-line, or at least furthers my career.

As for the class, substance and breeding. Don't be fooled by all you see, at heart I'm still a council estate boy, who happened to do well. Though most are surprised by this. Just show's that you never can tell.

Ex-pongo (breaking the class barrier, or someone's jaw, its all the same)

soleil

War Hero
Ex-P

Suggest that you e-mail the AFCO to make an appointment, then you can be sure that there will be someone to whom you can speak when you next visit. E-mail address:

[email protected]

When you do, ask when the ACLO is going to be around - some are peripatetic, you see - and see if you can make an appointment with him/her.

carlisle

Don't wait too long before going back.

Ex-Pongo.

Cheers Soleil, will email today and try to see them in the near future.

What you say is true Blackrat, though as my ex-wife keeps telling me I'm heartless and made of stone, But you never can tell with that sort of thing.

Cheers all

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Applying a gender lens to Climate Finance Thinking: an opportunity MoD News 0
M Qualified Deck Officer, Thinking of moving from Cruise Ships to RFA RFA 3
M Thinking of joining RNR. Ex raf rigger Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 35
vauxhall Thinking of Emigrating? What About Your Pensions? Finance & Pensions 3
MoD_RSS News story: New funding stream for blue sky thinking MoD News 0
vauxhall Thinking and Planning Ahead - FARs Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS Speech: A different philosophy: why our thinking on flooding needs to change faster than the climate MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: From jail to a job: women take bold steps with forward thinking charity MoD News 0
D 56 and thinking about joining the RFA... ex infantry 12 years in, retired cop 23 years in, currently working for Scots Government as an investigator. RFA 39
L thinking about joining Joining the Royal Navy 5
D Thinking about joining RNP Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
T Ex WE thinking about rejoining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
S Thinking of joining the RNR but unsure Joining the Royal Navy 12
Borochap Ex RN Chef thinking of joining up, advice please... RFA 67
D Thinking of joining RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 14
S Thinking of re enlisting Health & Fitness 6
MoD_RSS Speech: Secretary of State offers an insight into UK defence thinking MoD News 0
S I'm thinking about joining the RFA RFA 13
M EX regular thinking of RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 73
MoD_RSS Speech: Thinking to win MoD News 0
C Thinking of joining the RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 16
MoD_RSS News story: Thinking of exporting to Iran when sanctions are lifted? MoD News 0
M Civvie plumber thinking of becoming and engineering technician marine engineer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
S Thinking about joining as ATC. Help? The Fleet Air Arm 7
Val the Gal Thinking about Old Soldiers Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 10
K Thinking of applying to RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 95
T thinking of re-joining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
B Thinking of joining RFA, travel fund to ship questions RFA 9
W Thinking about joining. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
instinct Thinking of joining as a ET ME (SM) or Surface Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
D I'm thinking about joining... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
MoD_RSS News story: Gallantry award for quick-thinking soldier involved in violent ambush MoD News 0
jesse Thinking about Popes Diamond Lil's 9
O Thinking of changing application Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 41
Rumrat Wishful thinking maybe? Diamond Lil's 3
Sharkey Who's thinking you .......... The Gash Barge 5
I Thinking of joining WS branch Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
S Thinking of re joining!! The Quarterdeck 71
G for anyone thats thinking of doing there motorbike test.. Motoring 13
W thinking of joining the navy at 35??? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
G Just achieved a 2.1 BSc degree - Thinking of joining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
Pontius Thinking of you Diamond Lil's 2
trelawney126 Theresa Mays Wishful Thinking Current Affairs 11
J bootneck thinking of re joining the corps The Corps 13
R For anyone thinking of becoming a navy diver Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Subsunk Modern British thinking: Hold your corporate event at the site of a war memorial Current Affairs 1
C qualified paramedic thinking of joining the navy! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
O Thinking of Re-joining......... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
P Business Opportunity along with advice if you’re thinking of starting your own The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 7
T-H Thinking of joining the RN Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15