Thinking about moving back to the U.K.

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by Andy_Cap, Jan 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As i am due to retire in about 1 to 2 years time, I am seriously considering moving
    back to the U.K. after living abroad for the last 15 Years.

What do you think ?.

a. good idea
    b. not to good
    c. just plain stupid

2. I was drafted to the USA 9 months ago and my family and I are seriously considering NOT going back!

3. Got a nice house near Stamford for sale if you need somewhere to settle!!!

4. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Stay where you are. At present, i would rather be back in the land where you constantly wonder about your elderly neighbours war record, can whistle the Horst Wessel and get paprika on chips than have to live in a place where "My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding" gets top billing on the telly.

Mind you, at least in London i can meet up with my mate Max Mosely and dress up like Heydrich.

5. Sounds like good advice.

However as i live in what used to be East germany ( DDR) the Horst Wessel does not go down to well :-D

6. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

I'd agree with Chaz and Black_Rat, stay where you are, the UK is in decline and it's only accelerating. If I had the option I'd settle abroad [NZ, Canada, Australia, US] but probably don't have that option for a variety of reasons.

I fully realise that life elsewhere is changing but in my opinion we have lost the essence of what made the UK a great place to live.

7. Thanks for the input wave_dodger. I presume things have changed a great deal in the last 15 Years, probably not to the best from what i hear.

Someweher warm and sunny is also under consideration

8. wave_dodger

Don't get me wrong if you or your partner are true ethnic Romany gypsies, or asylum seekers from Liberia, Somalia, Afghanistan - the UK is great, we'll give you fantastic rent free accomodation, pay all of your benefits including extensive health-care for your extended family, and if you don't have a 40" LED TV in each room and at least 3 different types of games consoles for your children we will sort that out pretty quickly, leaving you time to further your money laundering, people trafficing, grooming, narcotics import businesses. Hey, we encourage small businesses and entreprenarial enterprise.

However, if you have a semblence of an education, a working backbone and a work ethic, we'll tax you senseless in every possible manner and even when you retire we'll continue to tax you and demand reductions to your income such that you may wish you'd been born in a cave on the borders of Afghanistan and never knew any better.

Slightly cynical but you get my drift.

9. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

I left the UK back in 2006 to come to Canada - sounds like I got out at the right time! I exchanged a small village in the Midlands (30 mins from Brum, Derby and Leicester) for a small town in rural Eastern Ontario and haven't really looked back.

10. Opinion will naturally be divided on "Great" Britain, however the very second I hand my Id card in, I'll be departing for France or Germany at the rush.

Everyone is miserable, nothing ever gets done, everything costs a fortune and no-one gives a shit about each other.

The problem with Britain you see, Is the British. I can't stand them.

11. Well that`s me well and truly Fu**ed :cry:

12. And selective.

There are more than enough British sponging from the state and living beyond their means to make numbers from the ethnicities you pointed out seem insignificant.

13. Guess thats my decision made for me then too! (Flying back this friday for a week,......(havent been back for 2 yrs))

14. I've been living in the South of Germany for a good few years now, and will be returning this year (if the prediction is correct!) to partake in Royal Navy basic training, and if successful a possible career thereafter.
    I'm back at least once a year up in the middle of nowhere North Yorkshire and although it is home, I am always slightly pleased to see the ground dissapear underneath me as the plane heads back out towards the North sea and mainland Europe.

15. Got to agree with you FlagWagger. Left the West of Scotland back in 2004 and now live out in the sticks in South Eastern Ontario. Can't say I have looked back either. Canada's not perfect by any means, but on balance, more pro's than con's compared to to the UK....at least for this expat.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  16. I have now been living out of the UK for nearly 10 years, its nice to go back to visit family and laugh at the general situation there but no better feeling than take off as we leave Heathrow and I head HOME.

17. wave_dodger

True, but to make my mini-rant complete would have taken far longer than I had. You have to admit I wasn't wrong, I just didn't fill in all the blanks.

I am very far removed from a nationalist (or racist for that matter) but we've created a problem and don't seem capable of resolving it. The net result is we engender and support a burgeoning under class that is neither able to nor interested in being self sufficient or contributing (positively) to UK society.

The UK welfare system no longer does what it was set out to achieve and needs a radical overhaul.:-|

If it were within my gift I'd be off like a shot

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  18. STAY WHERE YOU ARE!!!! Or go somewhere sunny! We have been in southern Spain for almost 8 years. I hardly ever go back to the UK an in general hate it - I can't wait to get back to the (usually!) sunny weather!
    Every night we watch the telly and laugh at the state of the 'old country'. We just can't believe what is going on - everything shot to bits - let's go on strike! Yep, that'll work.
    Now Spain is not perfect by any means, but Mrs Bender does not feel frightened at night, or wandering around by herself etc.
    If only they could learn to drive..............

19. I wouldn't say very far.

Maybe just a little bit far.

Or maybe not that far at all.

20. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

I don't think every expat has said that "UK is totally shite" ... the general feeling though is that having left the UK, their new home is generally better.

In my own case...
    In terms of work, when it came to large scale systems engineering projects, 5 years ago the UK was totally shite!
    In terms of cost of living, the UK was expensive which could be taken to be shite!
    In terms of quality of life outside the shite workplace, the options were both expensive and limited, so verging on shite.
    In terms of motorcycling the UK is far superior to Canada (smaller roadkill, better roads, kinder weather).

So in conclusion, in my random subjective opinion, if you are motorcycle rider, the UK is not totally shite when compared to Eastern Ontario :)