Thinking about joining the RNZN?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by FISO, Oct 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ....well don't!
  2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Ouch......whats the matter love? the meanies based you with all them pacific islanders up north or have you just clicked the NZ armed forces have been run down more than the UK's? Still, chin up, at least the RNZN still has a few war canoes, more than the RNZAF can say about aeroplanes. :)
  3. It's not so much that the whole place is run on the back of a fag packet, but more that they've taken 'useless, ignorant and incompetent' to whole new levels.

Few pointers for those in the process right now, or considering it...

* Read your contract, sounds obvious, but they'll tell you you’re bonded for three years in the interview when it's actually five years in the contract.

* Ask to see the publications that are referenced in the contract regarding Promotions etc - they will tell you there are plenty of opportunities but this involves doing all the basic courses first and that’s if you can get on them. Even if you’re not going for promotion you have to re-train, for example, fully qualified RN Radio Operator having to do the basic Radio Operators course again.

* No sea dodgers here! Expect to be at sea within three months of your arrival and then spend the next five years at sea - another reason why you won't get on any of the courses reserved for the Kiwi's.

* For those that don’t get drafted immediately expect to play Solitaire on the PC all day. Some of the recruits have arrived to find the job they were told they were needed for, doesn’t exist.

* If you take the job, consider paying your own way to NZ or make sure you put enough money away to pay the bond back.

* Considerations for the family are the poor housing with little or no heating, don’t be fooled into thinking the weather here means you won’t be cold, it’s bloody freezing in the uninsulated wooden sheds they call houses; lack of job prospects because of the Kiwi first to work rule and the fact they don’t actually like migrants here; wages are pitiful but the cost of living is the same as the UK; schools are ok, but you pay for everything, especially the sports.

* Be prepared to get ripped off over everything – Brits/Migrants are seen as an extra source of income here and the Kiwi mentality is ‘we’re broke, you’re rich, you can afford to get ripped off’.

* Once you’ve signed on the dotted line they’ve got you by the bollocks, unless you’ve got the money to bail yourself out, you’re stuck here and they’re attitude reflects that. If you’re not happy, you’ll find they’re sat back saying, ‘so what are you gonna do about it’ with a great big smirk on their faces.
  4. wet_blobby

Wow, you sound a tinnie weenie bit bitter there mate. Sorry your having a rough time of it. Can I ask where you are? I'm down south, been here close on two years now and love it. Admittedly I'm not in the forces anymore but I can agree with some of your points, I personally dont have an issue with the "kiwi first" attitude, the UK would be a far better place if it had something similar. You'll get used to the houses, bit like living in the 70's, shocking I know but occasionally you have to put a jumper on in the evenings.

If you fancy a beer there's a few off us ex booties and matelots down here.
  5. I see you've found the No 8 wire?
  6. That's a bit cryptic.

Enlighten us, do they colur the insulation the same as a set of '8s

Or is that too ridiculous a thought?
  7. 'Kiwis are famous for their ingenuity and self-sufficiency. It is said that Kiwis can create amazing things — all they need is ‘a piece of Number 8 wire’. No 8 wire is a certain gauge of wire that was incredibly popular for use as fencing wire around New Zealand’s many farms. Ironically, until 1963, it was imported from other countries. Because No. 8 wire was widely available, it was used for a variety of tasks, and it has become a symbol of kiwi adaptability' other words, they're too tight or skint to but something new, so they just cobble everything together with wire and bits of old wood. Kiwi equivalent of harry maskers.
  8. wet_blobby

Fiso you really do sound bitter. Now if you came down here on a bit of a whim and found it not to your liking then tough sh1t my friend, you should of done some homework first. I personally just jumped on a plane and headed for the place that was furthest on the map from london, happened to be down here. I love it, then again I dont spend the majority of my time whining.

Here's a tip for you. Your not in the UK anymore, so stop comparing everything to it, pointless going on about "we do it like this in the UK, or in the UK it's done like this" You aint friggin in the UK anymore numb nuts. Also give up comparing the price of things, stop mentally converting the price of goods into sterling, you are paid in Kiwi dollars, you buy things with kiwi dollars, get used to it.

You do make me laugh though, complaining about having to go to sea, well excuse me, isn't that what, you know, sailors do? In short man the fcuk up, the history of New Zealand is littered with failed poms, you sound like your going to add to it.
  9. ..........No
  10. ...intelligent input my darling - don't let the Corp down!!!???
  11. I used to laugh at the tv in NZ ads shouting about fave sheep wire. Took in the wild food festival at Hokitiki OMG moyt there woz near three farsand people there when she phoned her folks in Havelock North. I took it she had never been anyplace Up here ya canna move for people.

England of the fifties now what do they mean by that? Good morning mate how are you today. Up here it is. Who you looking at.

What pissed me off about that female kiwi was the attitude we don't need a armed force when we have Australia to look after us.

Where else can you catch a fish bury it in the gravel from a hot spring come back later and have a meal. Wish I had moved down there years ago. To old and to late now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  12. Don't think its rocket science to work out that if the RNZN is seriously short of folk, there must be something wrong with the job thats putting the locals off. The wealth of adverts in the 'dockyard dandy' would appear to bear this out. A loafing c*nt that I know was considering it and when he found out it involved work it suddenly didn't appeal - surprise f*cking surprise.

Blobby, jealous as f*ck that you simply jumped on a plane and ended up somewhere you obviously enjoy living! Its one of the few places pusser hasn't allowed me to piss up in and as they don't allow nuclear boats in I don't think I'll make it in the present career, its one country I want to get to eventually. As you are resident and may know the answer, are the problems with their navy down to a small number of war canoes and lots of commitments in the Red Sea/Gulf/Pacific area IE a simple matter of overstretch?
  13. FFS I’d give my eye teeth to join the RNZN, speaking as someone who was turned down. :(

FISO, you do sound a little bitter and twisted about the whole thing. Perhaps you should get out and about a bit and appreciate just what a beautiful country you now reside in.

Oh, and a bit of Kiwi ingenuity:- Currugated Iron Holden