Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking about joining RNP

DorsetDan

Im currently on at year a year long waiting list having completed my PJFT but have always been interested in the military police and have seen the RNP is short on recruits atm and I know there is a thread about the RNP but I'm more interested in the actual job.

I understand the whole 'maintain discipline and police the Navy' description of the job but what is the actual reality of the job?
Like what do you do?
What is the rate of promotion like?
Do you get transferable skills for after Naval life?
Are you unconditionally hated even if you aren't a d*ck?
Is it considered a 'good' job?

Honest opinions appreciated!

Chalk_bosun

Lantern Swinger
Get used to saying "conduct prejudicial to good order and service discipline". It should roll off the tongue.

I'm not a serving crusher so can only comment from a general perspective.

https://www.navy-net.co.uk/community/threads/direct-entry-naval-police.133333/ is a good thread. The information pdf mentions transferable skills/recognised quals.

After around 25 weeks of training you'll be a Leading Regulator so already starting off at a higher rate. After that promotion is based on merit (to RPO "Regulating Petty Officer" , CPO(MAA) "Chief Petty Officer Master-at-Arms and WO(MAA)" Warrant Officer Master-at-Arms") . Also, I believe commissioned RN police officers are (currently) only selected from within the branch, so no competition from "outside"

Lots of RNP work on/from bases, I believe larger vessels also have at least one (usually a RPO on a frigate?).

Ashore you would mostly deal with discipline (Queen's Regulations for the Royal Navy, Armed Forces Act - covers a wide range of offences) and cooperate with civvie police on any criminal/civil matters involving RN personnel. At sea, the RNP and the CO are basically the law, at least until you get to port and civilian authorities can take over. I believe RNP also advise command on proper detention/searching of any captured "fishermen".

As for perception of the branch - you're not going to win any popularity contests and your shipmates from other branches will (initially) be very wary of you. As I see it, if they're doing nothing wrong and are upholding our professional standards then they shouldn't have anything to worry about. RNP are just doing their job, discipline is hugely important to the armed forces. Unfortunately not everyone will see it that way.

Hopefully someone from the branch will comment/elaborate further/correct me, or maybe your AFCO can put you in touch with someone in the branch.

...Hopefully someone from the branch will comment/elaborate further/correct me...

If there are any here they might...

[FWIW RR once included a senior member of that much-maligned Branch. A frequent contributor and what a jolly chap this then serving RN Policeman appeared to be - Almost human...but he turned out to be all too human.
Having gained the benefit of a free book from RR he duly posted his Review of it on this site.

But, passed off as all his own work, it soon became obvious that he had stolen 95% of a genuine review by "A N Other" at Amazon.

Moral? Draw your own conclusions, he no longer graces this site with his presence.]

You will need two. One to read the post and the other to type/wtite a response...given that they can cobble together a response between them.....:) ;)

@DorsetDan - Branch choice: I'd imagine that you have already carefully researched your chosen branch, even with it's 'year long wait', which one is it?

Other branches with a much shorter waiting time may present an enticing alternative to someone desperately keen on any RN career.

But I'd suggest a much closer re-examination of your reasoning for your 1st choice before thinking of swapping mounts in the RN Steeplechase Stakes.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Thinking of joining RNR. Ex raf rigger Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 35
D 56 and thinking about joining the RFA... ex infantry 12 years in, retired cop 23 years in, currently working for Scots Government as an investigator. RFA 39
L thinking about joining Joining the Royal Navy 5
S Thinking of joining the RNR but unsure Joining the Royal Navy 12
Borochap Ex RN Chef thinking of joining up, advice please... RFA 67
D Thinking of joining RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 14
S I'm thinking about joining the RFA RFA 13
C Thinking of joining the RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 16
S Thinking about joining as ATC. Help? The Fleet Air Arm 7
T thinking of re-joining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
B Thinking of joining RFA, travel fund to ship questions RFA 9
W Thinking about joining. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
instinct Thinking of joining as a ET ME (SM) or Surface Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
D I'm thinking about joining... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
I Thinking of joining WS branch Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
S Thinking of re joining!! The Quarterdeck 71
W thinking of joining the navy at 35??? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
G Just achieved a 2.1 BSc degree - Thinking of joining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
J bootneck thinking of re joining the corps The Corps 13
C qualified paramedic thinking of joining the navy! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
O Thinking of Re-joining......... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
T-H Thinking of joining the RN Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
T Thinking of joining the Navy as a Warfare Officer The Fleet 3
L thinking of joining need help Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
Q Thinking of joining the RNR... some serious advice please! Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 7
T Thinking of joining up. just after some advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
E Thinking of joining Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 6
FISO Thinking about joining the RNZN? The Quarterdeck 12
L Thinking of joining the navy - Help needed Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
D Thinking of joining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 22
2_deck_dash Thinking of joining the RNR Diamond Lil's 10
W Ex-Army Officer thinking of joining RMR RMR 10
B Thinking about joining up Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
_Tim_ I've been thinking about joining some more. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
K A few questions. Ex army reg -thinking of joining RMR RMR 28
N Really thinking about joining the RMR RMR 42
the.rea Thinking of joining up ? Diamond Lil's 5
Globe-Trotter Thinking of joining,so here I am. The Corps 17
wardmaster Thinking of joining the RN? - Don't! The Gash Barge 41
M Qualified Deck Officer, Thinking of moving from Cruise Ships to RFA RFA 3
vauxhall Thinking of Emigrating? What About Your Pensions? Finance & Pensions 3
MoD_RSS News story: New funding stream for blue sky thinking MoD News 0
vauxhall Thinking and Planning Ahead - FARs Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS Speech: A different philosophy: why our thinking on flooding needs to change faster than the climate MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: From jail to a job: women take bold steps with forward thinking charity MoD News 0
T Ex WE thinking about rejoining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
S Thinking of re enlisting Health & Fitness 6
MoD_RSS Speech: Secretary of State offers an insight into UK defence thinking MoD News 0
M EX regular thinking of RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 73
MoD_RSS Speech: Thinking to win MoD News 0