Thinking about joing the RNLI

Discussion in 'Charity' started by Bond509, Dec 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seeing as a have a little while before joining the mob I thought I might volunteer at the Gravesend RNLI station as a crew member. I have done voluntry work before but it has never ocurred to me before to try this, seems it would be very rewarding.

Any advice or dits about the RNLI?

2. It's not very simple to just join the RNLI. They don't often take crew members on willy nilly. From working with a navigator on the Falmouth Vessel, from what he's told me in the past, most have the relevant experience and qualifications already required to join. Most have had links with the RNLI already for example family members previously.

You also must work within call out time distance, if you do work the job obviously must allow you do bugger off at very short notice.

It would be worth popping along and gaining information from your nearest RNLI though. The above is just what I've been told from a crew member down here.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Going back a few years, I seem to remember the Stokes Bay (Gosport) RNLI crew had a fair few serving matelots amongst their number. Not sure if this is still the case.

Have to say, if ever you gaze seaward towards the Isle of Widget from Stokes Bay, you can understand why there's a lifeboat based there as it has to be one of the UK's busiest areas where professional & amateur seafarers cross paths. It still amazes me that there is no longer an RN air/sea rescue unit in the immediate area when you look at the traffic afloat in the solent areas.
  4. The RNLI isn't just the crew of the Lifeboat at the station.
    Theres the launchers and a lot of auxiliaries doing essential back up work
    to get the life boat to sea and recovered after operations.
    Maintenance of equipment and vessel also the shed and surrounds .
    So yes they would probably use you.
    Its also the first stages of getting to be a crew member --shore party !!

They also need fund raisers

5. I have checked the website out and gleaned all I can, Im going to have a chat with them next week.

Some stations dont operate a pager system they just require you to put in 2x 12 hour shifts a month, the closest one to me in Gravesend put I am going to enquire about trying for somewhere on the channel coast as I can just drive there.

Thanks for the info btw... can always rely on you guys to be top chaps!
  6. Best of luck and all. Its admirable that you are willing to give the charitable organisations your help.
  7. I'm not sure what the situation in Gravesend is, but I've been on the waiting list to join the Chiswick station for over 2 years now. From what I gather it's one in, one out and as Tommo says you need to have your foot in the door as a fund raiser for a good few years before they will even let you look at a boat.

Being an ex matelot doesn't seem to hold any clout either, as they like to train their guys up in their own way. When I spoke to the crew chief, he just brushed off the fact that I was an ex swimmer of the watch and qualified to drive ribs, explaining that I'd still need to do their courses.

Unfortunately I'm not going to be around this neck of the woods for much longer so I have now withdrawn my application. There is no RNLI presence where I am moving to so I have now applied to join a Mountain Rescue Unit.

I hope it works out for you.
  8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

My colleague is leaving the RN shortly and has been offered a position with the RNLI at their HQ in Poole; it is not in a 'life-saving' role, so it may be possible to join them in another capacity first with a view to becoming a member of a crew in due course? :?
  9. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I had no problems when I joined, just before I left the Mob I went to the coxn and said "Dad when can I join the crew?" The next day I went on my first shout
  10. Applied for a paid job with the RNLI as a boats maintainer, it said covereing the South West based in Saltash but it turned out it was 5 days on the road covering all SW stations including Ireland so I withdrew the application.

Just put that in to show there are many jobs with the RNLI, not just boat's crew and some (most) are paid but not the crews, which is wrong IMO.
  11. If it's any help to you I'm putting together a crew for a cocaine submarine I found floating around when on holiday in Miami. It is like working on a lifeboat, because I won't pay you, and you will be in constant danger. You can however snort the bilge out at the end of a crossing.

PM me for more details.
  12. Does it have a flight deck?

If so, PM inbound.
  13. No, but I'll bring some kids we can rape.
  14. You'll need an experienced submariner onboard then...I'm free
  15. Peep peeeep!! I'm onboard!!
  16. Pedantic head on.
    1. Stokes Bay rescue IS NOT anything to do with the RNLI. It is a charity funded private (as opposed to RNLI charity) organisation.
    2. HM Coastguard helo operates out of the old Deadloss site, and covers from Beachy Head in the east to more or less Bournemouth (can't recall exact boundary :oops: ) in the west.
    3. In Lee on Solent there is a Coastguard MRSC.

So there! :wink: