Things to take/ not to take for basic training

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by stealthmode, Apr 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

I'm due to start basic training in June, and have been wondering about what to take with me to HMS Raleigh, and how big / secure the personal storage space is?

Would it be a good idea to leave my good watch at home and buy something like a Casio G-Shock?

I was planning on buying a laptop - is this a good idea or a bad idea, would it be safe there?

Hair clippers - I like to keep my hair at #1 length or shorter, so I cut my own hair every week or so, should I take my clippers is this facility provided?

Mobile phone - I'm assuming there will be a plug socket near my bed to charge my phone?

Medication - I get mild dry skin occasionally and have some emollient cream from the doctor, as well as this I occasionally take antihisthamines which subdue any "itchy" feelings - should I take these with me, or will I have to see a doctor at Raleigh if I need anything?

Diet suppliments - I am currently drinking protein shakes and taking creatine as part of my training program, will I be allowed to continue this or is it a case of get what you are given?

Thats all I can think of at the moment.

(edited to correct spelling - not sure what I was thinking when I wrote "Hobile phone")
  2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

SM: Good idea that you're planning ahead; I doubt many of your contemporaries at Raleigh will be as diligent!

I'm sure these questions were asked in previous threads in the Newbies forum; if not someone with more recent experience of Raleigh will come along soon. When I joined up in '86 there was no such thing as mobile phones and diet supplements!! :lol:
  3. hay!! I have definatly been planing for basic!
    quote " remember the 6 P's planing and preperation prevents piss poor proformance!" college tutor on PSR course.

appart form that I am off in june, hopefully going to be an AET!

4. Your personal storage isn't huge, and you don't really need anything much in addition to the standard kit list.

Personally I'd suggest decent socks for under boots, Bridgedales or similar, and some stuffsacs to make organising kit a little easier.

A laptop won't help you much in Raleigh, depends on your branch how much use it'll be later in training.

And yes something like a G-Shock would be better than anything expensive. There is a risk of breakage.
  5. Don't take a laptop ffs! You will be pretty busy doing stuff.

Do take a spare sense of humour. It will not be issued to you and there is a fair to middling chance the one you already have will fail at some point.

don't take anything you don't want to "lose" have broken etc.

do take a good iron. as in clothes, not golf.

do not take your pet giraffe/llama/gibbon.
  6. The RN Website has a list of what and what not to take:

Kit List

You won't need a laptop - there is a Learning Centre if you need to use a PC, and if you have time.

Thr RN will ensure your hair is cut :wink:

There will be plug sockets in your messdeck, but don't count on them being right next to you. You will only be allowed to use your mobile outside of working hours, and never in your messdeck.

Mention the medication during your initial examination at Raleigh.

Don't bother with the diet supplements - you will get plenty of food at Raleigh and the PTIs will look after your training.
  7. Also you may want to PM RNMA he is currently in Part 1 - the horse's mouth so to speak!
  8. Hi Stealthmode - with regards to buying a casio G shock watch this would be a very wise investment. I brought one too for when i joined up and it lasted many years and also went on many a deployment.

Dont bother taking hair clippers as itll only be more mess youll have to clean up in your little time you have when you are finished for the day. There's a hairdressers at HMS Raleigh anyway as i very well found out!!!!

My suggestion about mobile phones, laptops.....i.e. anything worth any money DO NOT TAKE you will find that when you join up, lots of your things will happen to go walkies, never to be found again!!! Be very careful. If you do feel the necessity to take one, please keep it secure else youll never see it again!!

My advice to give you on taking a valuable thing is a really good permanent marker pen. Again if your not careful your uniform will also go walkies!!!!!

With regards to personal space, you get a locker next to your bed which has your uniform in, and within the locker you have a small lockable drawer (suppose your mobile phone could go here!) All of your civvy clothes will be kept in the suitcase you arrived with and kept in the baggage locker.

Hope that this helps and goodluck.
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You will get all relevant info at your pre-entry brief at the AFCO. (Take a list of any queries you want definitive answers to). All medication is free & you should not take any with you- you are specifically instructed not to. Be aware that you need to be free of any medical treatment in order to be passed fit for entry. If a known medical condition, which was not disclosed during your initial medical examination, is detected in the first 56 days of training you will be medically discharged from the service. In other words, exercise caution. Good luck & enjoy training- all those that pass, generally do!
  10. On arrival, £22 will be needed as an advance payment to cover anticipated laundry costs and £4 for a hair cut.....

Gods, that's a bit rich, charging for the mandatory haircut.

11. Ninja_Stoker

I think you'll find that's covered at the entry brief also. You get an advance of pay (loan) to cover incidental expenses. You can claim tax relief on the cost of haircuts.
  12. Shippers - don't worry about your barnet - pusser will take care of that for you!

Top tip: don't take any frankie, killick dog will RAS it anyway.
  13. Ninja_Stoker

Besides you can get new frankie from the Spar shop! (Where can you buy shares in Spar?)
  14. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

15. nice photo's
  16. Ninja_Stoker

If one didn't know better, this being the 'Newbies' forum, one could wonder why the illustrated cats in custody of a Regulator, may look a tadge perturbed.

17. Noooooooooo! I didn't know Casio still made the G-Shock.

Welcome aboard nozzer! :lol:

Sarge, surely they had pairs of tin cans linked by taut string and pusser's stew in your day!!??
  18. You can buy a scrubbing brush for a lot less than that in Civvy Street. Then all you need is pussers hard (soap), elbow grease (available from all good NAFFI shops) and water, which at the moment is provided free! :roll: :D
  19. DONT take your Teddy,unless its washable!
  20. Ninja_Stoker

Oh dear, it's all going off the initial thread I fear!